Home Precious Metals
Options

Question about original ASE rolls in US Mint tubes.

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got a couple of tubes of ASE's from APMEX from one of their eBay specials. The green caps on the mint tubes have a small round APMEX sticker with the fiber tape going over the APMEX sticker. It looks like APMEX removed or at least pealed back the mint tape to put their sticker on the green cap. I wonder if these tubes were searched for 70's? Thoughts? When the 5 oz ATB's first came out, didn't APMEX get caught sending out rolls that already had the high grade coins culled out?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure the mint puts tape on the tubes, a lot of resellers do to keep tubes closed during shipping. My monster boxes remain sealed, maybe someone who has opened a sealed one can confirm that the mint does or does not put tape on the tubes before sealing them in the box.

I doubt APMEX searches all of the tubes they sell but we do know that they submit these coins for grading. I would never buy a tube from anyone hoping for perfect coins unless it was a tube in a sealed mint box. My purchases of ASEs are strictly a bullion play, perfection not necessary.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got a couple of tubes of ASE's from APMEX from one of their eBay specials. The green caps on the mint tubes have a small round APMEX sticker with the fiber tape going over the APMEX sticker. It looks like APMEX removed or at least pealed back the mint tape to put their sticker on the green cap. I wonder if these tubes were searched for 70's? Thoughts? When the 5 oz ATB's first came out, didn't APMEX get caught sending out rolls that already had the high grade coins culled out? >>

Yes, APMEX was caught red-handed on the ATB 5 oz release. It was ugly IMHO.

ASE tubes with an APMEX sticker could be searched. No way to know for sure if they were searched though. Hope this helps.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I have opened a couple of monster boxes and don't recall the mint tubes being taped close.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got a couple of tubes of ASE's from APMEX from one of their eBay specials. The green caps on the mint tubes have a small round APMEX sticker with the fiber tape going over the APMEX sticker. It looks like APMEX removed or at least pealed back the mint tape to put their sticker on the green cap. I wonder if these tubes were searched for 70's? Thoughts? When the 5 oz ATB's first came out, didn't APMEX get caught sending out rolls that already had the high grade coins culled out? >>

One would think that the window of interest for submitting current year ASEs closed many months ago. I do note that Pinehurst sells ASEs that they refer to as "scruffy."
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Yes, APMEX was caught red-handed on the ATB 5 oz release. It was ugly IMHO."

APMEX did search and take out the best ATBs when they were released and sold the rejects to customers without telling them and they were caught redhanded at this but never addressed the issue that I know of.
    They did it on a large scale as I recall.
    I would never trust anything from them to not be searched.
    That being said…as derryb points out, they are bullion.
    Good luck.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    My question was more of a case of academic curiosity. I'm buying them for their bullion value and didn't really concern myself with how many MS70's were in the roll. I've bought current year ASE rolls from other sources and they all seem to have the same fiber tape over the cap so I assumed that's the way they came from the mint. Of course, it wouldn't be difficult to duplicate that outside the mint.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you receive any 70s?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My question was more of a case of academic curiosity. I'm buying them for their bullion value and didn't really concern myself with how many MS70's were in the roll. I've bought current year ASE rolls from other sources and they all seem to have the same fiber tape over the cap so I assumed that's the way they came from the mint. Of course, it wouldn't be difficult to duplicate that outside the mint. >>

The fiber tape is strong and used to keep coins from coming out of the roll when shipped...
    the monster box has 3 pieces that secure the rolls, that are not taped...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My question was more of a case of academic curiosity. I'm buying them for their bullion value and didn't really concern myself with how many MS70's were in the roll. I've bought current year ASE rolls from other sources and they all seem to have the same fiber tape over the cap so I assumed that's the way they came from the mint. Of course, it wouldn't be difficult to duplicate that outside the mint. >>

The fiber tape is strong and used to keep coins from coming out of the roll when shipped...
    the monster box has 3 pieces that secure the rolls, that are not taped... >>

So, it sounds like the fiber tape is pretty much an industry practice and it's put on by the individual bullion distributors and dealers. Thanks.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No tape on the rolls in the boxes that I've opened.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Have opened several monster boxes and never have seen any tape on the roll covers. When I ship a roll, I take the top off just to insert a packing peanut and then nylon tape the lid back on just so they do not rattle in shipping. Mine are all shipped never even looked at original roll. Just bullion to me.....Imagine the folks that buy early release or first strike on those shopping channels.......

I do not even feel sorry for them anymore............

Tom
  • Options

<< <i>Have opened several monster boxes and never have seen any tape on the roll covers. When I ship a roll, I take the top off just to insert a packing peanut and then nylon tape the lid back on just so they do not rattle in shipping. Mine are all shipped never even looked at original roll. Just bullion to me.....Imagine the folks that buy early release or first strike on those shopping channels.......

I do not even feel sorry for them anymore............

Tom >>

I never open my rolls either and advertise as such. Have you ever had a buyer open a roll and claim that they were scruffs or dingers or rejects?
  • Options
    Never had a complaint but I opened a tube of 2010's right out of the monster and had a blank planchette
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited to clarify: I want to make clear I was not referring to Pinehurst Coin Exchange on HWY 5, Vince is a straight shooter, they don't search their boxes of eagles.
    There is more than one shop in the southern pines area!

• Options

<< <i>The only way to get unsearched rolls is to buy a monster box still sealed. The rolls are not taped from the mint.

Apmex runs a tape across the tops of the tubes with there sticker. Yes, they are searched for 70's. (When I buy rolls from apmex less than a sealed box, I know this but don't care , because its bullion to me)

Pinehurst sells rolls again that are already searched. The owner of this firm spends 100k plus in grading fee's a year from word on the street, they are only 45 min from me.

I will also note , back in the years 2009 10, and 11. I had the habit of buying sealed monster boxes and searching thru the rolls. I only found like 3-5 ms-70's in the whole box, so I have never been able to figure out how these companies who send in a full box get 10%+ to come back 70' I have an idea as to why? >>

APMEX sells "MintDirect" sealed rolls for a premium which they guarantee to be as received from the mint. Apparently these are unsearched rolls like the monster boxes with the straps still intact. I guess any other ASE's from APMEX can be assumed to have been picked over. Do you think that an honest company should disclose when the rolls of ASE's that they are selling have already been searched for high grade coins?

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "Do you think that an honest company should disclose when the rolls of ASE's that they are selling have already been searched for high grade coins? "

An honest company? Yes. Full transperancy would be expected from an honest company.
    Most companies today? I doubt it.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The only way to get unsearched rolls is to buy a monster box still sealed. The rolls are not taped from the mint.

Apmex runs a tape across the tops of the tubes with there sticker. Yes, they are searched for 70's. (When I buy rolls from apmex less than a sealed box, I know this but don't care , because its bullion to me)

Pinehurst sells rolls again that are already searched. The owner of this firm spends 100k plus in grading fee's a year from word on the street, they are only 45 min from me.

I will also note , back in the years 2009 10, and 11. I had the habit of buying sealed monster boxes and searching thru the rolls. I only found like 3-5 ms-70's in the whole box, so I have never been able to figure out how these companies who send in a full box get 10%+ to come back 70' I have an idea as to why? >>

APMEX sells "MintDirect" sealed rolls for a premium which they guarantee to be as received from the mint. Apparently these are unsearched rolls like the monster boxes with the straps still intact. I guess any other ASE's from APMEX can be assumed to have been picked over. Do you think that an honest company should disclose when the rolls of ASE's that they are selling have already been searched for high grade coins? >>

I would suggest that you contact APMEX and ask them if their rolls are searched at all and ask them if they reply yes why they don't disclose that fact?

THIS from the JMBullion website.

"One common question we receive about our American Silver Eagles is “what is the difference between Uncirculated and Certified Silver Eagles?” Uncirculated coins are shipped to us from the Mint, still in their original packaging. They are always going to be in great shape, and will never have been touched by human hands prior to your order."

I assume they either submitting and wholesaling out the ones that don't cut it or are buying the graded stuff from someone else.

As far as APMEX goes, even if the coins are searched, things like in original mint tubes, brilliant uncirculated, etc. are still true. As long as you can't tell if they were searched it likely won't matter to most folks.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

APMEX sells "MintDirect" sealed rolls for a premium which they guarantee to be as received from the mint. Apparently these are unsearched rolls like the monster boxes with the straps still intact. I guess any other ASE's from APMEX can be assumed to have been picked over. Do you think that an honest company should disclose when the rolls of ASE's that they are selling have already been searched for high grade coins? >>

I would suggest that you contact APMEX and ask them if their rolls are searched at all and ask them if they reply yes why they don't disclose that fact?

"One common question we receive about our American Silver Eagles is “what is the difference between Uncirculated and Certified Silver Eagles?” Uncirculated coins are shipped to us from the Mint, still in their original packaging. They are always going to be in great shape, and will never have been touched by human hands prior to your order."

I assume they either submitting and wholesaling out the ones that don't cut it or are buying the graded stuff from someone else.

As far as APMEX goes, even if the coins are searched, things like in original mint tubes, brilliant uncirculated, etc. are still true. As long as you can't tell if they were searched it likely won't matter to most folks. >>

Why pay extra for their specially sealed "MintDirect" rolls of ASE's if the regular rolls are unsearched? I could call and ask them but I'm not sure I'd trust their answer after what they did with their 5 oz ATB's when they first came out.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

As far as APMEX goes, even if the coins are searched, things like in original mint tubes, brilliant uncirculated, etc. are still true. As long as you can't tell if they were searched it likely won't matter to most folks. >>

Why pay extra for their specially sealed "MintDirect" rolls of ASE's if the regular rolls are unsearched? I could call and ask them but I'm not sure I'd trust their answer after what they did with their 5 oz ATB's when they first came out. >>

In one case you are paying extra for the assurance that they're unsearched, in the other it's just the likelihood. No need to call, just send an email request. I agree that their affirmative answer would not leave me wholly trusting.