Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Opinions from those who know English Coins Please!

1942 3 pence

I just received my 1st SNAD. No contact from buyer. He actually claims the 2 in the date has been soldered on and of course it doesn't grade Unc. My only options through ebay are to pay return shipping, offer a partial refund or let him keep the coin! No option to contest! If this is the case I believe ebay is about to loose me.

Comments

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1942 3 pence

I just received my 1st SNAD. No contact from buyer. He actually claims the 2 in the date has been soldered on and of course it doesn't grade Unc. My only options through ebay are to pay return shipping, offer a partial refund or let him keep the coin! No option to contest! If this is the case I believe ebay is about to loose me. >>

Certainly looks like a die chip on the 2, and whether or not I agree it is uncirculated, you do offer a 14 day return policy with the buyer paying return shipping - is that not good enough for eBay?

Just a month ago, I filed a NAD claim on a guy selling a certified coin that sent me a raw one (unc in PCGS, maybe a raw G/VG sent) and he had a No return policy. That case the seller issued a full refund as soon as he received the item, but I had to pay return shipping.

There has to be a way to agree to the full refund per your policy yet he pays return shipping? I'm sure someone better versed with eBay policies will be around shortly - don't even think they need to know English coins for this one.

Let us know how it turns out.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    There should be an option to create a label yourself (not through eBay). Do that and tell the buyer that he is free to return the item but that per auction terms he will have to pay for return shipping.

He is obviously claiming that the item was not as described so that he does not have to pay return shipping.

Usually in such a case I try to be friendly to the buyer and just give him his label and refund once it gets back and if it is indeed the same coin just block him afterwards.

If he ends up returning a eurocent or something like that you have no other option but to contact eBay and tell them that. eBay will refund the buyer AND you.

Dennis
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There should be an option to create a label yourself (not through eBay). Do that and tell the buyer that he is free to return the item but that per auction terms he will have to pay for return shipping.

He is obviously claiming that the item was not as described so that he does not have to pay return shipping.

Usually in such a case I try to be friendly to the buyer and just give him his label and refund once it gets back and if it is indeed the same coin just block him afterwards.

If he ends up returning a eurocent or something like that you have no other option but to contact eBay and tell them that. eBay will refund the buyer AND you.

Dennis >>

I do not have the option of requesting him to pay return shipping!
  • Options
    So what do you think? Here was a message I sent the buyer:

Hi,xxxxx

I must say I was shocked when I received your significantly not as described request to return the coin! I have collected coins since 1967, been a full time dealer since 1995,and have worked for a grading company. While I can understand you may not believe the coin is Unc.(I believe it is). The coin is not altered. What I believe you are mistaking for solder is actually a die chip in the date.

I would be more than willing to accept a return on the coin within the terms of my auction. I feel I am at the top of the chain as far as posting accurate,unaltered pictures of the coins I sell on ebay. I don't understand why you would try to damage my reputation on ebay without at least the courtesy to contact me before you make such a harsh claim against me. Ebay uses these types of complaints to raise the cost for me to sell on ebay.

I will wait for your reply before I contact ebay and try to have them mediate our issue.

Best Regards,Darrell
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There should be an option to create a label yourself (not through eBay). Do that and tell the buyer that he is free to return the item but that per auction terms he will have to pay for return shipping.

Dennis >>

I do not have the option of requesting him to pay return shipping! >>

They word it differently. It will say something like "send your own label to the buyer". It's been awhile since I've had this issue.

Dennis
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I was in your exact position last year and it didn't end well for me. I sold three PCGS slabs to a guy who was very pleased with the SecurePlus photos in my listing, but upon receiving the coins, decided he didn't want them anymore. The guy told me he wanted to return them but not pay for shipping. I had "no returns" listed in the auction because these were PCGS graded so he knew exactly what he was getting, but I offered to accept the return ANYWAY if he simply mailed them back. Well he wasn't interested in spending the $2.50 in shipping. So he opened a SNAD case against me. And he won. I spent about an hour on the phone with eBay trying to explain to them that these were graded by PCGS, with whom eBay has an ongoing agreement/partnership, and that the grade was guaranteed, and this guy was clearly abusing their SNAD policy to avoid shipping charges. But they didn't care. In fact the first girl I spoke to didn't even know what PCGS was ...

Friend, take my advice (which I received from others) and just issue the refund and save yourself a lot of grief.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Well...hopefully it is worked out. I will refund all but he hasn't removed the SNAD yet. Here is our exchange:

His response:

I could be wrong, but this was a request to settle the grievance, some alteration has happened to the coin and in my opinion it has a rub, so it is not UNC disregarding the problem with the number 2, you send me my refund and I send your coin and the transaction is over.

Immediate 2nd response:

You send me the refund of my money and the postage and the deal is done, otherwise I will open a case because the coin is not UNC.

Mine:

Hi,XXXXX

You have already opened a case. I will send a refund when I receive the coin.

Best Regards, Darrell

His:

ok provide address

And my final reply with address:

I would appreciate if you would cancel the item not as described. I know you don't think it is UNC but I do .

Best Regards, Darrell
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds to me like a first class pri-ck of the highest order - too bad one has to contend with this nonsense.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yeah and to make things worse, either he is dumb or simply does not understand how eBay works. Threatening to open a case when he already has ... It doesn't matter because eBay will decide in his favor anyway. They always side with the buyer. Always.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE