Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ID An Offcenter Double Struck Foreign Coin

Please help me identify the following foreign coin that is double struck
with the second strike about 50% offcenter.

TIA

Harvey

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irish token?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do believe you have: Camac Kyan and Camac (Dublin) copper Conder halfpenny token dated 1792

http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/DH.Dublin.045.001.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.

What do you think it might be worth??

TIA

Harvey
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job. I immediately said "Conder token" when I saw it, but wouldn't have been able to ID the specific type.

That is a very cool piece.

This seems as good an excuse as any to repost my recently purchased 1782 Irish halfpenny error.

I mean, after all, how often do the terms "18th century, Irish, and off-center" intersect in one conversation, right?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Yours is also a COOL piece.
  • Options

<< <i>What do you think it might be worth?? >>

Whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. image

Seriously, on a unique item like this, there is no telling.

By way of reference, my piece was originally priced at $299.99 on eBay. There were seven watchers on it. I do not know how long it had been listed.

I made an offer of $226.65, which was accepted. After shipping, I have $229.65 in my piece above.

Did I do OK? One person has said yes. It seemed OK for me- not a screaming bargain cherrypick at that price- but fair.

Yours? It's a bit more specialized, being a token. But a token from a very popular and avidly collected series.

I personally like my piece a little more than yours, but there are a lot of personal biases factored in there.

If I were making an offer on yours, hypothetically, I'd say somewhere in the low- to middle- $100s.

But that is ENTIRELY hypothetical, and if you don't have much tied up to risk on it, I'd say hang it out there at a true auction and see what happens.

Could be very interesting.

Hope this helps.

PS- Let me reiterate that my value guesstimation on your piece is TOTALLY speculative and not based on any real data or experience. I could be way high or way low. I pulled a value range right out of thin air. But that WAG is somewhere to start, right? Talk to some Conder token experts and error people.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    One open question with your piece being a privately issued token is whether or not quality control standards would have been as high where it was made as they would have been for a regular government issued coin struck by the Tower Mint.

If we infer that they weren't, then errors may be more common. Or maybe standards were higher than the Mint's, in which case errors on these tokens would be less common.

Or maybe standards were roughly the same. There were certainly errors issued by both official and unofficial mints, and they cranked out a lot of coppers in the late 1700s.

I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but more experienced collectors of this sort of thing might.

I have a similar open question regarding my piece: was it an official Tower Mint product, or a privately struck contemporary counterfeit? Those are common- the other 1782 Irish halfpenny I own (a non-error metal detector find I dug up at an old plantation site) is a counterfeit. At least one person says my error coin above is regal issue- in other words, struck by the government.

This may or may not have a bearing on the scarcity of such an error, and therefore the value.

You see what I'm getting at.

I think these things, while not unknown or extremely rare, are probably uncommon enough that it may be difficult to find useful auction history and solid value data.

It's worth whatever somebody will pay for it. And it's a cool piece, so I personally believe it should fetch a low-3-figure pricetag.

• Options
    Thanks for the opinion of value.....

I got it last night at a coin club meeting while looking through a bunch of foreign coins.

I tried to get it cheaper, but ended up paying $12 for it. :^))))

its got to be worth in the low to mid $100's

I'll keep it for now because its a really cool early piece and major error.....
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I would expect, as with all other coins, the matter of regal vs counterfeit has a definite effect on the value. Regal issues should be worth more because the mints have checkpoints and inspections to avoid the release of errors (making them more rare). The more modern the error, the more this is true. For older, hand-struck coins this probably doesn't apply as many coins were struck off-center and still used. So the date now comes into effect. But you must consider the counterfeits to be of low value because there is no limit on the number they could have made.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>I tried to get it cheaper, but ended up paying $12 for it. >>

OK, you officially suck. Wanna double your money? image

<< <i>I would expect, as with all other coins, the matter of regal vs counterfeit has a definite effect on the value. Regal issues should be worth more because the mints have checkpoints and inspections to avoid the release of errors (making them more rare). The more modern the error, the more this is true. For older, hand-struck coins this probably doesn't apply as many coins were struck off-center and still used. So the date now comes into effect. But you must consider the counterfeits to be of low value because there is no limit on the number they could have made. >>

Exactly what I was thinking. But I would amend your phrase "you must consider the counterfeits to be of low value" to, "you must consider the counterfeits to be of lower value".

And on the other hand, I'm not so sure quality control standards at the Tower mint were that much higher than at the private firms striking tokens. It is a natural assumption to make, particularly the more modern a coin is, as you say, but one must also take into account that a government mint is usually producing a lot more coins, and the people striking them may not have had as much incentive to check the quality of their work as those at a smaller private firm might have.