Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lithuania 2009 BU and proof-like mint sets

In the Lithuanian 2009 proof-like mint set there are three 1991 coins included. A 1,2 and 5 centas coins in proof-like finish.

I would guess they had to be struck in 2009 but it seems strange they would strike a previous years coin to include in the set.

The world coin references only show the BU finish coins for 1991 but other years proof-like sets are listed with both finishes.

Just curious what others think. Here is a link to some images.
A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Hey there, JJ! Glad to see you posting. I always enjoy your talks about Litu.

I have seen many world sets (proof and mint) with more than one date. That does not seem odd at all IMO.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Thanks. It wasn't so much the 2 dates as the proof-like ones must have been
    struck years later then the others.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    Possible they were struck in the same year, but with the 1991 date?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Yes. The 2009 set has 3 1991 proof-like coins included. There were only 500 of these sets made
    but I would think the proof-like ones would have a different Krause #. Perhaps some mention
    they are restrikes and not part of the 1991 mintage. I would think the grading companies would
    use special designation
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    This is intriguing. I've not done much with more modern world offerings. Why do they, and apparently others as well, include coins from other years? Is there an anniversary involved? 1991 & 2009 don't seem like years that would be bundled (18 years apart rather than 20, 25, or 50).
  • Options
    When England switched from the penny system to the decimal system, they released a set that had mixed years. Off the top of my head, 1967 and 1968? I'd have to look it up to be certain.
    The point is, they had a reason.

Other sets that I've seen, I'm not sure what the reasons were. But it's usually adjacent years (like '67 and '68, for example). For the reasons it may be a case-by-case basis. Or perhaps one of the coins has a fixed date on it, despite being struck for multiple years in a row. Like if a coin had the year 1991 in the design, but continued to be struck through 2009, that would explain its inclusion in the annual set.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Another example of which I have just been reminded, while updating my spreadsheet, is my Bahrain proof set. Krause KM# PS2, 8-coin set.

I purchased this set in the original packaging (clear hard-plastic rectangular slab; you know the type). The 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 Fils are all dated 1965. The 500 Fils is 1968. The 250 Fils is 1969.

I am not aware of the explanation or reasoning behind this particular example, only that it exists and that the date span is more than adjacent years (as mentioned in my previous post).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I didn't realize countries minted coins in years other the the date on the coin. I just ASSumed everyone
    did it like in the U.S. where there are few examples. In the case I mentioned the 1, 2, and 5 centas
    are all dated 1991 and no mintage is provided. In fact the only mintages for post 1991 coins are coins
    in special sets. Ehobbex Besides the 1991
    mint set the 3 coins are only in the 2008 and 2009 mint sets.

You noted my often speaking on Lithuanian coins. I used to collect U.S. mostly cents and I really enjoyed
    varieties. I had a accident and was away from collecting a few years and pretty much lost the bug. As part
    of my therapy I was encouraged to become involved in the things I enjoyed before the accident. That is
    why I only pursue coins of my heritage and can sound like a jukebox with only one record in it.
  • Options
    I admire and appreciate the focus. If we all posted about everything, and nobody had a focus, then none of us would be the resident expert in any area. Zohar is one of our taler experts, for example. You are the Litu expert image You know way more about them than we do so keep posting!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE