Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

Poof! All sold, in one go!!! That was fast! (I'll have to do this again sometime.)

EVERYTHING HERE IS SOLD!!! BUT MAYBE I'LL HAVE SOME MORE LATER!

SE COASTAL GEORGIA PREHISTORIC C. MEGALODON SHARK TOOTH FOSSILS

For sale here, or swap for silver. Each fossil comes with a small 2x2" printed info tag.

You've no doubt heard of Jurassic Park, right? Well, now we're talkin' Jurassic Shark, baby!

OK, yeah. Technically that's not accurate. We're really talking late Oligocene to early Pleistocene sharks, but "Jurassic Shark" just sounded nice. Like saying this was Jaws' bigger, meaner, great-great-granddaddy. If Tyrannosaurus Rex went to the beach, and waded too close to one of these guys, he would've been a tasty snack! (If they had existed at the same time, that is.) But anyway...

C. Megalodon, a giant species of White shark that went extinct approximately 1.5 million years ago, was the largest shark species to ever swim the seas. They grew to the size of boxcars, and ate whales! In fact, one way we find the fossiliferous deposits containing these teeth is to look for pieces of fossilized whalebone first.

These are direct from the source. My friends and family and I are occasionally lucky enough to find these in local dredge spoil material. This is the sand brought up from the bottom of Saint Simons Sound and Brunswick harbor during dredging operations and subsequently deposited on land. Out in the rural part of western Glynn County where I live, they use this sand to surface the dirt roads, so sometimes all it takes is a walk down a desolate country road to find fossils! If any of y'all are ever passing through the Brunswick, Georgia area on your way to or from Florida down I-95, look me up, and I'll take you out fossil hunting. I can't guarantee you'll find a megalodon tooth on every outing, but we find plenty of smaller shark teeth and fossilized whalebone.

If you buy one of the larger teeth and want a display stand, just search "Megalodon stand" on eBay and you will find some nice affordable ones.

This little chart should put things in perspective. Note the human silhouette in comparison to the modern Great White shark (in green), the modern Whale shark (in purple) and two estimates of Megalodon's size (in red and grey). Scary, huh?

141021-01 ~ C. Megalodon fossil tooth. Approx. length 4.0".
Basically intact with chip on right side near corner, minor chipping and flaking to serrations and point. Uncleaned as found. $40.

141021-02 ~ C. Megalodon fossil tooth. Approx. length 3.25".
Fully intact; excellent condition with only one minor area of flaking along left side serrations. Nice serrations and bourrelet. Uncleaned as found. $35.

141021-03 ~ C. Megalodon fossil tooth. Approx. length 3.25".
Left corner missing, typical chipping to point. Uncleaned as found. $18.

141021-04 ~ C. Megalodon fossil tooth. Approx. length 2.5".
Left corner missing, typical chipping to point. Uncleaned as found, with some mineral coloration. $18.

141021-05 ~ C. Megalodon fossil tooth. Approx. length 3.25".
Right corner missing but otherwise no chipping. Uncleaned as found. $18.

141021-06 ~ C. Megalodon fossil tooth. Approx. length 2.0".
Fully intact with small chips to right side, left corner, and point. Nice serrations. Uncleaned as found. $19.

141021-07 ~ C. Megalodon fossil tooth. Approx. length 1.75".
Fully intact with small chip to point. Interesting slight curvature. Uncleaned as found. $16.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take them.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don