Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Please help date: Ludwigshafen 10 Pfennig, Stadt

Date? General thoughts? It was free, so you won't hurt my feelings ... also sorry about the blurr these are iPhone 4s ...

Click here for the original large size.

edited to change "token" to "pfennig" in title
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Hey, thanks those are great links! and fast! I don't see a date on either site, but there's other useful data.

The Numista page says "Numista rarity index 92" with rare coins being 100 and common being zero. So this is uncommon / relatively rare? How accurate is that Numista index?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, thanks those are great links! and fast! I don't see a date on either site, but there's other useful data.

The Numista page says "Numista rarity index 92" with rare coins being 100 and common being zero. So this is uncommon / relatively rare? How accurate is that Numista index? >>

I can't find a date, but on the below page, all the other Ludwigshafen ones are 1917/1918, so my guess is it won't be too far off that.
    http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/Germany_all0.php

This link lists the 5 Pfennig as Funck 308.1, I've seen several references to 308.2 for a 10 Pfennig, but I don't have that catalog. My guess is someone with it could find it in the 308's. Seems most things are 1917-1920
    http://colnect.com/en/coins/list/page/5/country/24180-German_Notgeld/expiry_year/1920
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
    Thanks that's a huge leap forward for me. I don't have that catalog either but I can borrow it from the ANA library or find it online. Now that I know where to look image

The person who gave it to me said it was a token. I took their word because they're a medals collector. Now I know why they didn't have any information on it. Like me, they had been barking up the wrong tree.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    c1918 Notgeld (token) 10 pfennig issue from the State of Ludwigshafen.
    Zinc - your example appears to have XF details but the white spots on the denomination side indicates it is corroding.

You might want to soak the piece in mineral oil to prevent further decay. But do some research 1st on preserving zinc before trying it.

I don't have the catalogue for these but a friend does. Written by Scheuer (I think). I'll send him the link to see if he can provide more info.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
    Gene, thank you for the invaluable knowledge. Yes the spot ... unfortunately it was there when I received the token. I'll look into the dip right away. Mineral oil is sitting in the laundry closet so that's an easy task.

I have another Notgeld piece. Looks very different, is much larger, and I think from a totally different decade, but perhaps they will fit nicely together.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE