Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Platinum Proof - incorrect price on Mint web site (Save $50!)

Today 10/20/14, the 2014 Platinum Proof was released. Price $1600 (on Mint Web Site)
1oz Platinum Proof 2014

But based on my calculations, the price should be $1650
- the last week's Platinum average is $1257.20
- today's price is $1268

Based on this, and the US Mint Pricing sheet, me thinks the Mint has goofed up
US Mint Pricing Sheet

Nooker

Comments

  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, someone should call the Mint and let them know of their mistake so they don't loose revenue.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    The price fluctuates with the market? I thought they chose a fixed price for all US Mint products. If so, they probably figured $1600 was a good average. If the price of platinum drops tomorrow, they will be earning extra revenue image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

    Amat Colligendo Focum

    Top 10 • FOR SALE

    image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure it not next weeks price?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭
    $200 less than last years platinum proof, but too expensive for me still. I have last years and its the only 1 oz platinum proof that I own now.
  • Options
    Mint Web Site:
    "Pricing for precious metal numismatic products (e.g., platinum, 24-k gold, 22-k gold) varies by the average cost of the underlying metal. We use our pricing range table the week prior to sale in order to determine the product's price. If the average weekly price of the precious metal moves up or down into another cost range, the price of the product will also go up or down, respectively, by a fixed amount"
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    So it must have been lower when they set their price, and next week it may move again. That's cool. I didn't realize the prices fluctuated.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

    Amat Colligendo Focum

    Top 10 • FOR SALE

    image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for the hysteria surrounding the HOF Coins to carry over to the 2014 Platinum Proof release. I'll say 12,000 for
    2014 , way too high for a Platinum Proof. Puts it in the bullion value category.

    Not a buy for me. image
  • Options
    WDHWDH Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    $1650 now Plat Proof
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added one to the cart and, despite the $1600 displayed price, it added at $1650.

    the 2011 proof came in at over 14k I believe and numbers have been treading down.

    2012 was just over 10k, I think

    I think this one is not so hot because of the design, but will pick up a 70FS to keep the run going.



    did anyone purchase one at $1600? (I didn't)

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭
    IMO, the reverse this year does not even compare to prior years (this year's is worse).
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭


    << <i>IMO, the reverse this year does not even compare to prior years (this year's is worse). >>



    image
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. I went on site at release, and got it for $1600. Guess I got lucky.

    I love this series, including this issue. Not the best design of the series, but still features some originality and creative license: a hallmark of these proofs.
  • Options


    << <i>Well, someone should call the Mint and let them know of their mistake so they don't loose revenue. >>



    ok, so it looks like somebody DID call the mint image

    it's now listed at $1650.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file