Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has Anyone Made an XF45+ at PCGS?

I honestly don't think I've ever seen one in-hand. I can recall some time ago a member posting a pic of one (can't remember what type of coin it was) and if I had known just how uncommon they are I'd have taken a screenshot for my files image

I've had a couple of coins I thought were candidates for XF45+. Sadly, they got AU50. image

Comments

  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen one in hand either.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    There are only four PCGS XF45+ in the entire Capped Bust Half dollar series. With the big jump in price up to PCGS AU50, I certainly would rather have the higher graded example.

    Now, what about a PCGS 45+ with a CAC GOLD sticker? I would rather have the lower graded example.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>There are only four PCGS XF45+ in the entire Capped Bust Half dollar series. With the big jump in price up to PCGS AU50, I certainly would rather have the higher graded example.

    Now, what about a PCGS 45+ with a CAC GOLD sticker? I would rather have the lower graded example. >>



    Would an ordinary AU50 really sell for more than an XF45+? I would think that little + symbol would command a hefty premium... But perhaps not.

    Mozin, I am determined to make the 5th XF45+ CBH image
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    A collector friend made a 1893-S $1 in XF45+ image
    Steve

    Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondering why the XF and AU plus grades are used an not XF48, AU52, 54, 56, 59.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious why they don't have a plus for every grade... image

    Is it that low-mid grade circulated coins can't be "choice" (I hate that word) for the grade?
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    The genius of PCGS marketing is fully on display in some of these responses

    Is anyone convinced if such a coin were graded that if it were cracked out and resubmitted that it would receive that grade again? What if you tried that experiment 5 times? Would 0 for 5 surprise anyone? I know it wouldn't surprise me. And therefore what does that say of the credibility of the grade or even the grading process. Just that it is subjective even at the highest level. 45+ today; 45 tomorrow; 50 next week

    The fact that some would pay more for the + symbol speaks of the hobby paying more attention to the rarity of the plastic than the rarity and/or quality of the coin itself...

    Edit: spelling, clarification of content
    imageimage
  • Options
    Here's an XF45+, for a coin that I had sent in for Crossover service in 2010. It was in a recent ANACS holder (with a blue label), graded XF45. I bought the piece from Al Adams (Gold Rush Gallery), at the 2010 Alabama Numismatic Society Show in Bessemer.

    image
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>The genius of PCGS marketing is fully on display in some of these responses<<<

    I totally agree!!!!! Looks like some people here collect plastic rather than coins!!!image

    Very Very Sad!!!
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once owned a PCGS EF45+ capped bust half. I will see if I can find a photo
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    The problem with all these exotic grades is they are not in the Greysheet, hence - useless for most
    dealers are "slaves to the sheet" !
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>>>>The genius of PCGS marketing is fully on display in some of these responses<<<

    I totally agree!!!!! Looks like some people here collect plastic rather than coins!!!image

    Very Very Sad!!! >>



    No, misunderstand my response to Mozin. I never said I'd pay a hefty premium for an XF45+ but that other people would. I know collectors who are actively seeking them.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>>>>The genius of PCGS marketing is fully on display in some of these responses<<<

    I totally agree!!!!! Looks like some people here collect plastic rather than coins!!!image

    Very Very Sad!!! >>



    I think you mean "most" not "some." image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [290+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Here's an XF45+, for a coin that I had sent in for Crossover service in 2010. It was in a recent ANACS holder (with a blue label), graded XF45. I bought the piece from Al Adams (Gold Rush Gallery), at the 2010 Alabama Numismatic Society Show in Bessemer.

    image >>



    GeorgeKellogg -- that is the world's nicest XF-45 (or XF-45+, for that matter).

    What a beauty!
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about marketing making something worth more try finding those few AU58+'s of anything.
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Here's an XF45+, for a coin that I had sent in for Crossover service in 2010. It was in a recent ANACS holder (with a blue label), graded XF45. I bought the piece from Al Adams (Gold Rush Gallery), at the 2010 Alabama Numismatic Society Show in Bessemer.

    image >>



    GeorgeKellogg -- that is the world's nicest XF-45 (or XF-45+, for that matter).

    What a beauty! >>



    Agreed! A shame everybody else is too busy arguing to notice image

    JH
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus grades are silly for any grade lower than an ms63.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

    "“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

    "I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Plus grades are silly for any grade lower than an ms63. >>



    Why is that? image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus grades are silly for all grades! There are 11 grades of UNC.............isn't that enough!

    I remember when there was BU...Choice BU....Gem BU.....and Supurb BU! That was plenty!

    Then they expand it to 11.......then they added the +......that's 22 grades of UNC!!!!

    Good grief!
  • Options
    Not a coin I made (sadly) but here's a 45+ I remember seeing, a rather odd candidate for the grade...

    image

    I would love for someone to explain why this coin is exactly an XF-47.5, I see it more as an XF-43.875 image
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Indeetlib - The only possible explanation I could see for what differentiates 45+ from 45 would be if PCGS decided there was undoubtedly and undeniably AU luster but too much wear or contact marks.. But if you ask me - that IS (or once was) what the 50 grade was... It is purely a gimmick

    As pointed out by the OP (and btw, I did not suggest the OP specifically was one who would pay dearly for the 45+ (even though it was the OP own choice of words who declared, The grade of 50 was "sadly received" as opposed to the mystique-laden 45+. This would lead to the reasonable conclusion that the 45+ grade is more desirable. And in a hobby where more desirable equals more money it is not an unreasonable conclusion.

    The OP is absolutely correct in stating there are collectors waiting in line to pay up for the rare grade.

    Btw - I don't think anyone was fighting - hard for someone to not take notice the gold dollar posted by George Kellogg appears fantastic (true view glamour shot aside)

    And could not agree anymore with Dimeman about the superfluous grade numbers (even if his calculations were off by a few points as there are no plus great for 60, 61 or 62), fact that there was so little difference from one grade to the next and the fact that coins are constantly being cracked out and resubmitted only speaks to what a great area or if you want subjectivity it is to try and describe what physically constitutes differentiation from one grade level to the next.

    I'd love to see the training class for new graders being hired.

    Where is the manual?
    There is no such thing. It's subjective.
    The amount of money that hangs in the balance where the most insignificant of marks flaws will loss of luster virtually in measurable can lead to thousands or tens of thousands of more of US dollars. Mind-boggling to an outsider. Virtual permits to print money.
    imageimage
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
    This has a +

    ….used a Sharpie. $675. $625 if I wipe it off.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .
    just one, in 2010

    1835 $5
    .

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Plus grades are silly for all grades! There are 11 grades of UNC.............isn't that enough!

    I remember when there was BU...Choice BU....Gem BU.....and Supurb BU! That was plenty!

    Then they expand it to 11.......then they added the +......that's 22 grades of UNC!!!!

    Good grief! >>



    +10

    Totally agree. Easy to understand though. It's all about the money.

    Slice and dice those grades, add the +'s, submit until you max out the grade and then slap on a sticker. Squeeze out the last dime... or thousand dollars.

    Reminds me of the baseball card bubble at its top. They were certifying them, producing one new limited edition after another, then gold foil labels and even autographs.

    At least we haven't gone there yet. Oh, wait! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file