Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

~ My late-2014 "someday" wantlist (WTB... for IF and WHEN I have the funds)

Everything below except the exonumia should be slabbed or slabworthy. Eye appeal and nice images are crucial.

As of the initial posting of this list (10/17/14), I should have a little bit coming in from eBay auctions. I'm watching quite a lot of stuff, but if you have something like what's listed here, and let me know before I pull the trigger on something else, great. But then I'll go back to being broke for a while... until the next time I sell something.

At the best of times, my budgetary ceiling is below $1,000. And usually below $500. (Unless I'm giving up a nice trade-in.)

As all of these except the exonumia would be destined for my "Eclectic Box of 20" set*, there is a possibility that one coin from that set could be used to "trade up" (i.e., I'd send you my coin as a partial trade and then pay the balance). But not all of the "Box of 20" is for sale or swap, and the only time I get rid of one of those is when something nicer is about to replace it. (See the link in my signature line.)

Ancients
~ An appealing Athenian "owl" tetradrachm. Maybe a transitional one between the "Old Style" and "New Style". (I like both the old and new style owls themselves, but am not crazy about the almond-eyed Archaic rendering of the Athena portraits). Or...
~ A high grade Roman Republican denarius with an interesting design (probably not the usual quadriga reverse).

World
~ Any early dated (late 1400s/early 1500s) European coin with interesting design and acceptable condition. Or...
~ A German or Austrian thaler of some flavor (have had my eye on a Saxony "3 Brothers" piece which is gorgeous but stiffly priced). Or...
~ Hammered gold (early dated hammered gold all the better). Or...
~ A nice higher-circ (VF30 to AU58) Pillar dollar with colorful toning or a nice grey (CircCam all the better). Or...
~ A Conder token with interesting design in RB UNC (or proof, if I can afford it). Or...
~ Maybe an interesting 19th century World pattern, like some of the 1848 French or late-1800s Liberian ones. Must have nice design, proofs preferred. Or...
~ A 1977 Canada gold $100 "Silver Jubilee bouquet" commemorative* (slabbed or in RCM packaging, maybe even raw if pristine).

USA
~ A high circ (maybe XF45 to AU58) 1804 "Spiked Chin" half cent with really nice surfaces and color, or...
~ A nice Draped Bust cent, maybe an 1807/6 or a "Comet", with nice surfaces and color, maybe VF30-ish? Or...
~ A super nice colorfully toned proof Indian cent, PR63 or better, or...
~ A Draped Bust half dollar with CircCam contrast in F15 to XF40 grade, or...
~ A gorgeous and colorfully toned AU53 or better Capped Bust half dollar, or...
~ A Draped Bust dollar with CircCam contrast in acceptable but affordable low grade.

Exonumia
~ 19th century US type coins made into pictorial love tokens (holed or looped). I'm sort of thinking about restarting a collection of those for my now-emptied Holey Coin Hat. But they have to be well-executed engravings with cool pictorial elements, and not just the usual monograms and plain initialed pieces.)

Obviously I can't afford all of these coins. At any given time, I may not even able to afford one of them. But this is just my "dream book" list for when I do have the money. Can't hurt to have it out there, right? Just touch base with me sometime and check on my budgetary status. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you may have looked at these, yet 10% off any of the items shipping included for you.

LINK
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... Any early dated (late 1400s/early 1500s) European coin with interesting design and acceptable condition, or ... hammered gold ... >>

I find it helpful to have slightly narrower - nay, more defined - parameters. Hunting for a specific Type of hammered gold, for example. While hunting, you may come across another piece which you like, and buy it. And that is fine. But at least you were hunting. General, ambiguous parameters like these don't yield good results for me personally.

edit: To add, simply, that I only offer this humble advice because even though I consider you to be one of the masters of our great hobby, I also know that sometimes we (people) need to hear the advice which we've given to others. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nessie- generally speaking, you'd be right, but as a "someday" wantlist, this was intended to be somewhat general and not entirely specific.

Since I'm an "eclectic" now, I don't have to be all that specific, as sometimes not even I know exactly what I'm after until I see it. "I know what I like when I see it", so to speak.

I've posted some general guidelines here but not been too specific, so that anybody who's got something they think I might like can PM me. I can then say yea or nay, or "yea, but wait 'til I can afford that". image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>A high grade Roman Republican denarius with an interesting design (probably not the usual quadriga reverse). >>

L Roscius Fabatus 64BC Silver Denarius

not "high grade" perhaps, but I thought I would run this one by you anyway if you haven't seen it as it's a damn cool (IMO) republic coin

$100 to you and you only
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I will carve you some pictoral love tokens.. With stick people in themimage
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    The idea of adding some specificity is to get you hunting / looking / moving about. For me, without something specific, it gets delayed or forgotten.

Sounds like you have a good plan and I wish you the best of luck in your "someday" collecting image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE