Home U.S. Coin Forum

1861 Confederate States of America 1/10 Dollar

hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have read a little about the Confederate States of America (C.S.A.). According to Wikipedia, CSA was founded on February 4th 1861 and dissolved in 1865. CSA issued two coins; one cent and fifty cent coins which are quite valuable. According to csacurrency.com, the coin below was made around 1955 for the upcoming 100th anniversary. Notice the 1861 date.

Many eBay sellers call this a restrike but from what I have read, this is an inaccurate description. In my mind, it is a token. The picture color does not accurately reflect the token. It is silver in hand. Here is the write up on csacurrency.com

"There were made around 1955 for the upcoming 100th anniversary of the American Civil War. They come in 2 varieties, 1/10 which represents a dime or 1/10 of $1 and 1/100 which represents a penny or 1/100 of $1. The front of the coin is the same as the real CSA penny. All is not bad though, if you have one of the german silver dimes (1/10) or copper (1/100), they sell for around $100 in VF and $150 in Unc. All others are copies and sell for around $15 - $30 each."

Please post any genuine CSA one or fifty cent coins if you have them. I also have a quick question, how would I know if this is one of the german silver dimes or a copy?

Comments

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like one of the 1955 copies. I have a copper 1/100 I got off ebay for $20.
  • The CSA never issued pennies and only made 4 half dollar trials. Even if you buy the sales pitch on the cents they were made in Philly by a private business most likely long after after the war. The Scott restrike halves are interesting but really kind of bogus too.
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one I bought at a flea market as a kid. Don't have a full photo of the rear of the card, which came in a plastic case, but it talks about the use of tokens as change during the Civil War. Couldn't have paid more than a buck for it.
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a modern fantasy, it has little or no value.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Nice thing about little or no value is that it is cheap to own one.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dat's cool.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice thing about little or no value is that it is cheap to own one. >>

Kind of nice to collect things just for fun which is how I'm guessing most people started.

Of course, it's also good to not think it's worth more than it is.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Slab it - sell it - ship it
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a modern fantasy, it has little or no value. >>

<< <i>Nice thing about little or no value is that it is cheap to own one. >>

Both true.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I have these 5 coin examples....
    Had them listed in the buy/sell area last year... was supposed to check on some of them....
    Never did..... Still have them.....
    2 Bashlow restrikes... (I think) and 3 Fantasy restrikes...

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Not my cup of tea but I'm glad you are happy. Hopefully you paid the $15-30 price and not the $100-150 price.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• << <i>Not my cup of tea but I'm glad you are happy. Hopefully you paid the $15-30 price and not the $100-150 price. >>

I purchased them them at least 30 years ago.... don't remember what I paid... couldn't have been too much...

I remember having another Bashlow, but that got lost or traded many years ago.....

I have no interest in them anymore.... I just HAVE them... ebay wouldn't let me list them so I am stuck with them for now....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file