Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Proof Euro coin with Error

I have an interesting error coin about which I would like to find out more.
Maybe you could help me.

I have a Latvian commemorative silver 5 Euro coin Baltic Way issued this year in original round plastic capsule. Coin was issued by Bank of Latvia in Proof (!) quality and issue limit was 10 000 coins.
Bank of Latvia informed collectors that design of this coin will contain 3 national flags that will be in colours. There are no other designs- just this one with 3 flags in colours.

Coin, I bought directly from Bank of Latvia, was with error in its design- 2/3 of colours in 3rd flag were missing (colour is missing on 22.2% of surface where it should have been)...

Due to the fact that none of the collectors, I know, have ever seen or heard anything about this type of error, I started to search on internet. I wasn't able to find any information about this kind of errors...

I hope you can give me some ideas about my case. I wanted to understand:

1) Have you ever seen or heard about Proof (!) Euro coins with this type of error (not fully coloured elements)? Or this is the first publicly known case?
If you have seen, maybe you have any photos of those proof error coins?

2) Is this type of error considered to rare and valuable?

3) Maybe you know any worldwide examples between Proof (!) dollars, pounds, rubles etc. with this kind of mint error? (for example- Canadian Proof coin with national flag missing red colour etc.)
If you do know, maybe you have any photos of those proof error coins?

All this situation is something completely new for me and it is very hard to find any information.

Thank you very much for your time and answers!

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    pics would help. contacting an expert like Fred Weinberg (a board denizen) would be a good move as well.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browsing world error coins on eBay recently, I recall seeing a modern colorized coin that was said to be an error because it was missing some color on the bird's wingtip (it had an owl or eagle in the design- I forget which- probably an owl.).

But I am not very up to date on modern issues so I can't give you much specific, helpful information.

Certainly the manufacturing processes used to make these kinds of coins must produce some errors.

It sounds as though you might have yourself a discovery coin. If yours is the first found, there will be no pricing data available until it or some subsequent others are sold in the future.

It will be worth exactly what some bidder or buyer is willing to pay for it. Since Euro coins are widely collected, that is a plus.

Regardless, it sounds as though you might have made a lucky find. Post some pictures here if you get a chance!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Is this the coin you are talking about ?

the third flag is from Lithuania , since the color is added later , after the coin is struck , I dont think there is an extra premium for such an underinked coin.
    just my 2cents.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Just attached the picture. image

I sent an e-mail to Fred few days ago but haven't received answer yet...
  • Options
    Yes, it could be my lucky find. image
  • Options

<< <i>the third flag is from Lithuania , since the color is added later , after the coin is struck , I dont think there is an extra premium for such an underinked coin.
    just my 2cents. >>

If you collect coins without errors, then yes- this coin is worthless to you.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not much of a market for minor errors as you have unless it's a huge error , but since it's such a minor error that most error collectors would pass it up

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I like to define "error" as something which is permanent; it can't be undone or fixed. If you returned this to Bank of Litu, I suspect they could fix it by simply adding colour?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    To help other collectors with similar cases, I have started to make a small blog about this type of error:
    Error coin blog
    My research still goes on, so I will continue to develop this blog.
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor Lithuania getting slighted