Home Precious Metals
Options

Question about testing gold and silver.

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking on Amazon and came across a rare earth magnet for testing gold and silver. It was inexpensive and very strong. How does this work? I thought fake gold and silver bars and rounds were brass with a gold or silver plating. Brass isn't magnetic so how would a magnet help?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    2 ways.

1] ....... You are correct .... Brass is not magnetic ... but there are really cheap counterfeits that have a bit of iron

in the "pot metal" mix used to make them ..... So it may take a rare earth magnet [powerful] to pick it up.

2] ..... It is the science of diamatnetics. Every metal will exhibit a resistance to a very strong magnetic field. It is

not easy to test small objects this way ... but is a great way to check larger bars.

Check out this Link to see a demonstration.

Keep on stack'n!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Interesting video. I didn't know there was some attraction of a powerful magnet to silver.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Most fakes u don't need a rare earth magnet its like carrying a 357 magnum to a spitball shooting contest, most any magnet will pick up a fake even a refrigerator magnet...

Use the rare earth more for possible fake 100 bars which like very rare coins are hard to find...

Best used for jewelry and chains to process fakes quickly...
    keceph `anah