Home Sports Talk
Options

Ivan Rodriguez and Benito Santiago

Were they both busted enough to eliminate from HOF contention ? Both were actually very much more powerful than my man Bench.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I-Rod was a solid player.

Guess the Hall needs to clarify the criteria for induction.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    They were both excellent. Seems like Santiago's prime was short though. I could be wrong but seems like Rodriguez was a high level player for much longer.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you put Pudge in then you gotta put the rest of them in...
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    If we are talking abut the Hall of Ugly, then those two are first ballot ugly mothereffers no doubt.

Neither one of those guys are remotely close to Bench.

OPS+
    Bench 126
    Irod 106
    Santiago 93

Win Probability Added (expressed in wins produced offensively above a league average playe)r:
    Bench 30.1
    Irod -5.6
    Santiago -15.2

Yes, for Win Probability for their career, both Irod and Santiago are below league average. Granted, they played a few more seasons than Bench, but they were so bad outside of their prime, and their primes were nothing comparable to Bench, that I don't see how either one of them gets put in the same ballpark offensively as Bench. Win Probability Added shows that pretty clearly.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Both were actually very much more powerful than my man Bench. >>

In what way?
  • Options
    Was just thinking about the guns they had throwing guys out. I didn't really see a lot of Bench in his earlier career so was comparing him to these two roided up guys. Those numbers posted above though are an eye opener in this though.
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Bench threw out 43% of runners, while the league average was 35%. He allowed 610 SB to 469 CS.

Irod threw out 46% of runners, while the league average was 31%. He allowed 786 SB to 661 CS.

Santiago threw out 35% of runners, while the league average was 31%. He allowed 998 SB to 530 CS.

Pitching staff plays a role in that as well of course.

Watching them throw, I always had Bench and Irod neck and neck. On the surface at least, Irod looks to have an edge on Bench throwing-wise based on the results. Nothing big enough to overcome the offensive gap though.
  • Options
    The gents were still bad either way