Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2014 NFC East Champion Dallas Cowboys

lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
Is anybody else as surprised as me? The defense has been especially surprising. Tied for the best record in football is not where I expected them to be at this point in the year.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Dimeman for one!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, let's not get carried away here. The Dallas Defense is playing WAY over their heads. And the O-line and DeMarco Murray are completely legit. But then, there's Romo.

That play where he effed up the shotgun snap was classic.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They better beat the Giants this week,especially with the Giants w/o Victor Cruz and being at home, or the elation the fans/team felt with the victory over Seattle will be quickly forgotten. Fans have a short memory and coming down from such a high is a long way to fall.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Romo is playing great right now because he finally has a bonafide elite RB and an effective OL. He has always been better than given credit for, but has made mistakes when he's had to force passes to make plays. I saw a stat during the Seattle game that stated that in his career in the 4th quarter Romo has thrown 70+ TDs against only 20 INTs. That's the real story, as he has always been unfairly maligned. He's also a lot a lot tougher than I thought~he took a couple big licks in that game vs Seattle and didn't miss a play.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the Cowboys and Browns in the Super Bowl this year.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not put the Cowboys in the SB yet......while that would be great......they haven't played any of the NFC East teams yet. That will be the key. It seems that no matter how good or bad any of them are.......they are always tough games.

Romo is finally looking like an NFL QB.

As a note......the backup to Brady broke all of Romo's records at EIU!
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't make those SB plans just yet.
    Seems Joseph Randle needed some clean undies and poor guy was too broke to buy them.

Story Here

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    It looks like Doug Free is going to miss some games with a foot injury, Randle is generating the wrong kind of headlines, Romo almost threw a pick six on the play right before the touchdown to Escobar, Harris is dropping punt returns, the punt team is getting punts blocked, Bailey is putting kick offs in the hands of dangerous return men like Percy Harvin, The D-Line can't sack anybody (they need to watch the tape of the Lions D-Line against Minnesota this past weekend), They have primary and second option receivers that are not getting open, they are missing blocks in pass protection. Dallas still has a long way to go to be in any conversation about the Superbowl.

They have done a lot of positive things too, they might have the top rushing attack in the NFL right now (Although the Eagles and Chiefs have really good ones too) Dallas has cut down on critical penalties that give opponents 1st downs that sustain drives. Dallas has done an excellent job at controlling the clock and winning the time of possession. Dallas has done a good job at setting up manageable distances on 3rd down, and even when they faced 3rd and 20 they come up with a miracle throw and catch to Terrance Williams to earn a new set of downs. Dallas has done a good job of converting 3rd downs and sustaining drives. Romo has done an excellent job of escaping the rush and making plays down field. Witten has added an extra punch to the offensive line in run blocking and that core group has done an outstanding job. Murray keeps racking up 100 yard games. The Defense continues to make tackles and limit big plays.

There is still a lot of football to be played but Dallas is off to a Great start.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    They will need Staubach when the time comes.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im more suprised at the OL, Murray has been a beast tearing through the defenses he has faced, with him running the way he is it gives Romo time to make less mistakes so anything is possible with this team.

Im glad Matt's team is doing well image

Oh and HI MATT image
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    As a note......the backup to Brady broke all of Romo's records at EIU!

As another note DIMEMAN -- Alabama's John Parker Wilson completed more passes, through for more yardage and threw more TD's than previous Alabama QB's Bart Starr, Joe Namath and Ken Stabler ----------------------- combined.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    + 1 for a Matt sighting.image
  • Options
    >>>Alabama's John Parker Wilson completed more passes, through for more yardage and threw more TD's than previous Alabama QB's Bart Starr, Joe Namath and Ken Stabler ----------------------- combined.<<<

image That is impressive!!!
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a note......the backup to Brady broke all of Romo's records at EIU!

As another note DIMEMAN -- Alabama's John Parker Wilson completed more passes, through for more yardage and threw more TD's than previous Alabama QB's Bart Starr, Joe Namath and Ken Stabler ----------------------- combined. >>

That is impressive if true,gotta love the snake
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Romo playing like an elite QB right now..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    >>>Romo playing like an elite QB right now..<<<

He certainly is!!! They should have done back surgery on him years ago!!image The surgery must have jarred the circuit that made him make those boner plays in the past.

Romo and the Cowboys are looking great.....the only INT wasn't even Romo's fault!!

It's a great day beating the Giants!!!image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a rematch of the 1978 Superbowl? This time with Denver winning.
  • Options
    And to think I passed on Demarco Murray for Monte Ball in my fantasy draft image
  • Options
    >>>How about a rematch of the 1978 Superbowl? This time with Denver winning.<<<

A rematch with the same result would be great!image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>>How about a rematch of the 1978 Superbowl? This time with Denver winning.<<<

A rematch with the same result would be great!image >>

Tony Legend

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Their defense will lay an egg in the playoffs, Romo will throw a pick while playing catch-up, and we will be back to the same Dimeman story...blaming one guy.
  • Options

<< <i>Their defense will lay an egg in the playoffs, Romo will throw a pick while playing catch-up, and we will be back to the same Dimeman story...blaming one guy. >>

Quite possible!
  • Options
    Could this be the year we finally go deep into the playoffs? It somehow feels different than past seasons. Doing it with less talent of defense is quite surprising to me. The offense has always been there but in the past has always crumbled when blowing a lead or faced with a big deficit. Coming back last week against the Eagles, after surrendering a big lead, was huge for the team's confidence.
  • Options
    How fun would it be to see a Patriots vs Cowboys Superbowl?

If that happened we might need to both fly to a neutral site and watch it Matt over a few beers image
  • Options

<< <i>How fun would it be to see a Patriots vs Cowboys Superbowl?

If that happened we might need to both fly to a neutral site and watch it Matt over a few beers image >>

Sounds like a plan Paul Haha!!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redskins just helped the cause. image
  • Options
    The drumbeat for running Romo out of town sure has quieted down, hasn't it?? LOL..

• Options
    >>>The drumbeat for running Romo out of town sure has quieted down, hasn't it?? LOL..<<<

That will happen when you start playing QB like an NFL QB is supposed to! image
  • Options

<< <i>>>>The drumbeat for running Romo out of town sure has quieted down, hasn't it?? LOL..<<<

That will happen when you start playing QB like an NFL QB is supposed to! image >>

He is in top 5 right now in NFL this season, no question.

• Options
    >>>He is in top 5 right now in NFL this season, no question. <<<

No doubt.....just wish we would have won that first game against SF.
  • Options

<< <i>>>>He is in top 5 right now in NFL this season, no question. <<<

No doubt.....just wish we would have won that first game against SF. >>

I'd give Romo a pass on that game~he was clearly rusty after having not practiced much at all during the preseason after coming off back surgery.

He's been terrific since then, even playing hurt when other QBs would have taken themselves out of the game. I don't think Romo gets enough credit for being as tough as he is.

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I don't think Romo gets enough credit for being as tough as he is.

Agreed. And DIMEMAN, get over the first game of the season. What difference does it make now that he has them on the cusp of the playoffs?

He's actually neck and neck with Rodgers for top rated QB this season.
  • Options
    You took me wrong. I wasn't bashing Romo on the first game.......it would just be great to have that extra win right now.image
  • Options
    One win and the division is ours. Of course I'd like to win both remaining games but I'll be happy with just one.
  • Options
    Yes, we only need one more win. But let's do it today. I don't want to go into D.C. next week in a must win senerio!

The Redskins are just itching to knock another NFC East team out. image
  • Options
    For the first time in a long time, I have confidence that the Cowboys can handle the pressure of playing meaningful games late in the season. Romo has carried this team for years..time for everyone on the team to step up and Finish the Fight.
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • Options
    Dallas is for real.

• Options
    Looking good for sure!
  • Options
    The 'Boys are Rocking!
  • Options

<< <i>The 'Boys are Rocking! >>

35-0 so far lol!!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did I just hear that correctly.....Tony Romo has now thrown for more career passing yardage than Troy Aikman?

If so, that is a travesty!!! image

Steve
  • Options
    >>>Did I just hear that correctly.....Tony Romo has now thrown for more career passing yardage than Troy Aikman?<<<

Yes....BUT Troy is on a platform by himself with 3 huge steps that Romo has to climb up to be spoken with Troy.image
  • Options
    The best part of this win tonight is the fact that the Cowboys eliminated the Eagles. How sweet it is!
  • Options
    Sweet indeed!

Should have been a shut out! That was a bogus call.......good pick!!!!image
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet indeed!

Should have been a shut out! That was a bogus call.......good pick!!!!image >>

I was bummed too but I'm so happy for the win and for the way the D performed. It's a good thing heading into the playoffs firing on all cylinders.
  • Options
    I LOVE the new title of this thread!!!!image

Where's that Steve guy???image
  • Options

<< <i>I LOVE the new title of this thread!!!!image >>

Haha! I had to do it image
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is all very strange. I was not prepared for this kind of result this year.

Anything from here forward is a bonus for me.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now the pressure/heat will really be turned up on Tony to perform/deliver.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>Now the pressure/heat will really be turned up on Tony to perform/deliver. >>

It's a team effort. Fortunately for the team, Romo is one of the best QBs in football right now.