Home Sports Talk
Options

The damn ref is wearing Pink Wristbands.......AAARRRGGHHH

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Yes I am a dinosaur, and old geezer, fart and codger.

But no way am I watching a football game, a mens football game, with the ref wearing Pink.

Flame away!

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sound ridiculous.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I'm with the PINK here. We need a cure for this dreaded Cancer!

Come On Man!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, I'm with the PINK here. We need a cure for this dreaded Cancer!

Come On Man!!!!! >>

Oh sure, the pink wristbands will do it.

I recall sending a check to Jerry Lewis in 1973 to find a cure for MD........still waiting.

If spending 20% of GDP does not keep us healthy, wearing pink will not.
  • Options
    No, the pink will not cure it......it shows support.
  • Options

<< <i>No, the pink will not cure it......it shows support. >>

That it does. Perhaps they should also promote a colorectal cancer awareness month as it kills four times as many folks as breast cancer......about the same as lung cancer.

Less PC but why not share the free exposure.
  • Options
    Maybe every month should be all Cancer awareness month until be get rid of it forever!
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe every month should be all Cancer awareness month until be get rid of it forever! >>

Much of it is preventable, need to stress that part as well.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A pink football would be soooooooo cooooooool.

Cancer sucks!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Then don't watch a football game. Go stick with golf.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Real men who are secure about who they are have no problem wearing pink.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last week I believe I saw one ref. with a pink whistle.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Real men who are secure about who they are have no problem wearing pink. >>

image Now lets not get crazy here. If any guy is wearing pink for anything other than awareness, they should
    not be secure in themselves. That statement reminds me of something I seen at a party many years ago.
    I cant tell the story here, but I will say, it scared me then and it scares me nowimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't the whole pink thing a scam? I thought I read somewhere that's one of those charities that collects a pile of money and only 20% makes its way to people they are supposedly helping?

on the other hand it could be the ice bucket charity image

susan g komen CEO's salary is 684k image

Oh hey whats up with the NFL caring about women's issues? They could help women by culling out some of the wife beaters they employ if they are feeling motivated in that way image
  • Options

<< <i>Isn't the whole pink thing a scam? I thought I read somewhere that's one of those charities that collects a pile of money and only 20% makes its way to people they are supposedly helping?

on the other hand it could be the ice bucket charity image

susan g komen CEO's salary is 684k image

Oh hey whats up with the NFL caring about women's issues? They could help women by culling out some of the wife beaters they employ if they are feeling motivated in that way image >>

First question I ask every charity that calls is "how much does the CEO earn".

Some of the numbers are astounding.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    The pink is less about the money, and more about raising awareness and getting checked.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its very cynical is what it is.list of 50 worst charities

I find it very troubling that the people involved in these groups can sleep at night while people are dying from these diseases and they are laundering huge portions of the funds raised and in some cases less than 5% winds up with the needy.

On that list of 50 worst charities there at least 10 that are cancer related passing through very low percentages of money raised to victims .
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The phrase you're searching for is "pink washing". This is the bandwagon feel-good fad of creating pink products, etc. under the guise of helping raise awareness and funds for breast cancer, but in reality is only a sales ploy in the end- where very little of the profit raised by the various pink product makers actually gets donated in most cases, and of that amount, even less actually makes it to those it was given to help.
    Sue Komen lived and is buried here in town (Peoria IL) but the organization her sister started has been controversial of late... and in the eyes of many has morphed from a well-intentioned charity to what some consider a de facto for-profit concern. Sad.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in the 80's I rocked my pink pants and pink tie. Yes Don Johnson in Miami Vice was my idol lol!
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, not one single dime raised by the NFL goes to cancer research. It all goes to "community awareness"-type programs.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Maybe every month should be all Cancer awareness month until we get rid of it forever! >>

Much of it is preventable, need to stress that part as well.
    About 12,000 kids age 14 and under will be diagnosed with Cancer this year. How do you prevent that? More than 10% of those kids will DIE! Walk up to a parent who is told "YOUR CHILD HAS CANCER" and tell them that their child's cancer was preventable!

Perhaps they should also promote a colorectal cancer awareness month as it kills four times as many folks as breast cancer......about the same as lung cancer.

May I ask where you got this information? From all the sources I found, it looks like:
    40,000 people die per year from BREAST Cancer
    50,000 people die per year from COLORECTAL Cancer
    160,000 people die per year from LUNG Cancer

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    """Much of it is preventable, need to stress that part as well.
    About 12,000 kids age 14 and under will be diagnosed with Cancer this year. How do you prevent that? More than 10% of those kids will DIE! Walk up to a parent who is told "YOUR CHILD HAS CANCER" and tell them that their child's cancer was preventable!""

I wouldn't say anything to a parent with an ill child other than to offer my support. My father was diagnosed with primary Liver Cancer 15 years ago. The cause was quite likely the now banned industrial solvents that he sold for twenty years. Whether the disease was preventable or not did not alter our care for my dad or the difficulty in watching him die.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, I'm with the PINK here. We need a cure for this dreaded Cancer!

Come On Man!!!!! >>

I absolutely agree but at the same time we need to be very careful about turning a very serious disease into some kind of trendy pop culture fad. Remember the red HIV ribbons that nearly all the celebs at the award shows wore in the 90s? Remember how in the late 80s/early 90s the loss of the rainforests, all the poor elephants getting killed only for their tusks and cute whittle spotted owls was regular front page news? Now how often do we hear about these things in the news anymore? Because these things are still very much a problem, they didn't just go away.

Another thing that also concerns me (even more so regarding domestic violence/abuse, which even now you're lucky if male victims get anything other than a token mention) is the use of pink is giving the wrong message that it's only a "woman's disease". Someone forgot to tell Rod Roddy that. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>I absolutely agree but at the same time we need to be very careful about turning a very serious disease into some kind of trendy pop culture fad. >>

Yep.