Home Sports Talk
Options

Thank you SF Giants.

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
Having watched all my teams of interest so far fail- Dodgers,Angels,Nats, and soon to be Balt. it was good to see at least a temp. stop in this decline. They are my last hope for my interest level to watch the World Series this year.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Your interest seems kind of puzzling; you like watching the Dodgers but since they're out you want the Giants to win? Your avatar shows Stan Musial perhaps the greatest Cardinal of them all but St.Louis baseball doesn't interest you? A battle for Missouri World Series doesn't sound interesting? Red vs. Blue, reliving the 1985 world series where the umpire made a bad call at 1st base that cost the Cardinals a World Series Title. The infamous game 6 call that baseball fans say changed the champions that year. Every replay shows an obvious error where the game would have ended but allowed for a Royals rally to force a game 7. It would kind of be like the Cowboys vs. Steelers Superbowl where Dallas should have won the year Jackie Harris dropped a sure touchdown. Many years later Dallas played Pittsburg again in the Superbowl and fans of both teams wondered if the Steelers would continue to dominate or would the Cowboys exact a measure of revenge against their longtime rival. I think sometimes there is an added level of interest when two teams share a storied past.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    My Cardinal interest ended in the early 2000's. My avatar moreso represents the Cardinal teams of the 50-80's era. Stan was my favorite player while I was growing up in the late 50's early 60's. Still never got over the 68 series loss to Detroit. Hope this solves a mystery for you.image P.S. I believe it was Jackie Smith that dropped that Dallas pass.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    One other thing to note despite the umpire error in the 85 series the Cardinals still had the next game 7 where they had a chance to win but did'nt. Sure they were "cheated" due to the call, but they had that game 7. This was similar to the Bill Buckner situation with the ball through his legs, that allowed the Mets new life to win that game 6 and finish off the Red Sox in 7. In both series the eventual losers still had one more chance to win it in a game 7 despite the mutual error that befell them in their game 6's. I recall that players with the Cardinals and Red Sox stated this as such, that yes it was unfortunate, but they did have that game 7 and came up short.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to talk about a bad call that the Cardinals say cost them game 6 don't forget about the bad call in the 4th inning where Frank White was called out at 2nd on an attempted steal when the replay showed that he was safe. The next batter singled and the Royals would probably have scored to make it 1-0. Cardinal fans always forget that play.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't ever utter crap name Jackie Smith again!!!image

I could have caught that pass! REALLY!!!

I thought Roger was going to kill him......it would have been justifiable homicide!
  • Options

<< <i>Don't ever utter crap name Jackie Smith again!!!image

I could have caught that pass! REALLY!!!

I thought Roger was going to kill him......it would have been justifiable homicide! >>

Merely correcting TennisCoach on his last name. I am now writing 1000 times never to mention J&%#!* S*&$% ever again.image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm throwing a big thank you out there to the Giants for beating the 'Nats And winning my bet for Me, This bet goes back to when these foolish Washington Nationals shut down Strasburg 3 years ago, my buddy bet that it was such a smart move he grunted the Nationals would win a World Series within the next 2 years from then. Now I get a nice steak dinner comng from my buddy