Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Friend is looking for a Julius Caesar, opinions on this piece

He found this one that he thinks might go for cheap. I dont do many ancients so wanted the experts view on this type. He really wants one with the portrait.
Im a fan of CNG so had him looking there.

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=270497

Comments

• Options
    define cheap, I paid and in my and others opinions it was a deal, $565 for image

the one linked is a really nice coin that is worth several thousand dollars
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The banker's mark on the CNG coin doesn't distract me too badly but the surfaces and cleaning are troublesome in my opinion. It may indeed end up going cheaply but personally I'd pass on it and spend a bit more for a nicer example.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    I agree with SmEagle1795. The surfaces are unattractive and look really scrubbed. Which also means it will be harder for your friend to sell when the time comes.
    I would save the money and wait for a better one.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>define cheap, I paid and in my and others opinions it was a deal, $565 for this guy

the one linked is a really nice coin that is worth several thousand dollars >>

NC.. I thought you were gonna link up the JC you bought from me, but you linked up your Octavian/Augustus?

Edit- never mind- he fixed his post while I typed this reply. Yep, that's the coin.

I believe this coin is the one NiceCurrency intended to post. It cost me just a tiny bit below $500 before slabbing, which is as close to a "cheap" Julius Caesar as you'll find, probably, if you want a coin issued during his lifetime, with his portrait. As a smaller-budget collector than some who have posted here, I had to compromise. That coin was well worn with bankers' marks, but had a clear portrait and name on it so I was happy to get it (as was NiceCurrency, later.)

So you can see, JC does not come cheaply. If your friend has the budget to go for something nicer than the one I posted, good for him, but I thought I'd show what an acceptable "cheap" one looks like.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    ex-jewelry - filed edge = normally a big no-no , but I like this Julius Caeser coin very much,
    it has great eye appeal imho .
    price is the big issue, considering the 15% buyers fee, $500 - $600 sounds OK.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    bizarre, it shows as the JC for me image
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    With the boldness of portrait and the nice centering, I think the CNG coin is going to top $1000.00 even with its flaws.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave him the link to this thread and have him making up his mind now.

I told him if I wanted a Julius Caesar I would bid on this, to what point that depends on how bad I wanted one.

Ill have to make a thread with pic of my ancients......which I don't collect. I accumulate.
  • Options
    lot was around $2k and got withdrawn... counterfeit?
  • Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    I didn't watch a this closed but as NiceCurrency said, when last checked the bidding was near $2k. It now shows as withdrawn. Interesting.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was indeed found to be counterfeit. See this thread on Forvm
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    scary
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fakes are getting better and better. image
  • Options
    Yikes. That one is certainly going in the photo file.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    For quick reference here in this thread:

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    looking at it now the face of caesar is very strange, it's very different from any real coin, look at all the JC coins by moneyer M. Mettius on CNGs archives, none look like this

Curtis Clay on FORVM makes a really good point saying something to the effect of "we see this coin on CNG a reputable seller and don't really think twice about its authenticity"