Home Sports Talk
Options

No Hitter.....does any other team sport have an equivalent?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
I would say no. At least on any type of regular basis, say once or twice a year.

It would have to be a record to garner such attention, say rushing or TD passing record for a game.

Perhaps 5 goals by a single scorer in an NHL game would do it, or close to 100 points in the NBA by one man.

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question.

Of the top of my head, the performance by Bill Walton in the NCAA tournament where he went 21-22 from the field in either the National Semi Final or National Final would (if he had not missed the one shot and went 22-22 from the field) would have been on par with a no hitter in baseball.

In each case, one player who played the entire game (or at least 95% of the game) performed to perfection.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I have been to two of them live and I can't imagine anything as uniquely special. As a kid I remember being bummed when the other team would get a hit as that mean my pitcher couldn't get a no-no that night. I was super excited the night Ramon Martinez had about 18 strikeouts. If had gotten the single game record maybe it would have been cooler than a no-hitter!? The crowd was electric. However, the no-hitter is still more unique among team sports.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Of the top of my head, the performance by Bill Walton in the NCAA tournament where he went 21-22 from the field in either the National Semi Final or National Final would (if he had not missed the one shot and went 22-22 from the field) would have been on par with a no hitter in baseball.
    >>

Christian Laettner was 10-10 from the field and 10-10 from the line when he hit his famous buzzer-beater vs Kentucky.
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps 5 goals by a single scorer in an NHL game would do it, or close to 100 points in the NBA by one man. >>

A no-hitter would probably get more headlines, but to equal the difficulty, an NBA player would probably only have to score about 55 points.

244 no-hitters since 1901
    3 NBA players scored 70+ points since 1963
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    I know this is going to get some laughs but I think a PBA televised 300 game in bowling is pretty exciting. Maybe a televised hole in one in golf?
  • Options

<< <i>I know this is going to get some laughs but I think a PBA televised 300 game in bowling is pretty exciting. Maybe a televised hole in one in golf? >>

I do recall an Albatross a few years ago. a two score on a par five. Much rarer than a hole in one on the pro tour.
  • Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    To find an equivalent one would need to know the total number of games played in the history of MLB and of those games how many were no hitters. Take the percentage of no hitters and find an event in other sports that happens with similar frequency. That's probably a question for the Elias Sports Bureau.

I know your asking about great achievements that could be viewed as similar outstanding events. I would rate the Derrick Johnson 7 sack performance against Seattle as the equivalent of a perfect game.

I don't know how often a single scorer in hockey registers 5 goals in a game so that is a difficult comparison. I love the hockey playoffs, but I don't follow the sport closely enough to know how often that event occurs. One thought I have that might be kind of like an equivalent is a goaltender stringing together like 8 consecutive shut out periods (2 games and 2 periods). Whatever the case I know it is something that doesn't happen often and is extremely difficult to do.

A single player scoring near a 100 points in a modern NBA game is getting pretty close to impossible. I think Kobe Bryant had an 81 point game and the Admiral David Robinson had a 71 point game and that is about as close as a modern player has got. I would equate a shooting performance of say 16 for 16 from the field with no dunks as similar to a no hitter. With dunks you would have to go about 19 for 19. I think a similar equivalency might be a 25 point 20 rebound game. I would also rate a 30 points 10 rebounds and 10 assists as a possible equivalent.

Another thought I had is if you beat an entire PGA field by 5 strokes or more over 4 rounds, I consider that the equivalency of a no-hitter.

Any thoughts about these comparisons?

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options

<< <i>I know this is going to get some laughs but I think a PBA televised 300 game in bowling is pretty exciting. >>

You'll get no laughs from me. They're pretty common now, but there were once no 300s on TV for 13 years. Pete McCordic finally threw one and won $100K. video
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a perfect game for a quarterback, ie, no incompletions or interceptions (minimum say, 30 passes thrown)?

I can't recall ever hearing of a QB doing that.

Steve
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another one:

An NFL team shutting out their opponent, and also allowing no first downs. It has to have been done a few times. In fact, last week in the Chargers shutout of the Jets, the Jets only had I think 1 first down, and did not even cross the 50 yard line until the last 5 minutes of the game (on a pass-interference penalty).

Steve
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How about a perfect game for a quarterback, ie, no incompletions or interceptions (minimum say, 30 passes thrown)?

I can't recall ever hearing of a QB doing that.

Steve >>

I dont recall a QB doing it either. The closest one that pops in my head was Phil Sims in the Giants/Broncos Super Bowl.
    He was something like 26/29 if memory serves.Im sure with a little research, somebody could find one closer (Im too lazyimage )

For me, I would call that feat superior to a no hitter. In a perfect senerio, a pitcher doesnt even need a team, they could
    strike everybody out by themselves. A QB must be perfect that day PLUS have perfect receivers that day. You would be talking
    (in a perfect senerio) 2 or more people being "perfect" on that given day.

Interesting topic. One thing that pops in my mind could possibly be a driver in NASCAR leading every lap and winning. But I really
    dont know enough about NASCAR to know if thats even possible or if it is fairly common. Just a thoughtimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    In racing leading every lap and winning is common or quite possible in short tracks.
    Like your local Saturday night dirt track.
    Also relatively common in F1

However in a longer distance race like 400+ miles pit stops come into play.

Every one need fuel and new tires.

Some stay out to lead a lap but never ever can one car lead all laps
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    A comparison that came to mind for a perfect game was the triple crown in horse racing.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    To answer the question. No.

In what other sport does the defense prevail so well, as to prevent the offense from even accomplishing the building blocks of run/point production?

The closest would be football at not allowing ANY yards. It can't be allowing a certain amount. It would have to be not allowing ANY to equate to 'NO'-hitter.

Basketball and hockey don't really have building blocks to points. The closest would be a shot attempt, and it is pretty much impossible for the defense to limit the offense to no shot attempts.

Bowling doesn't have defense/offense, so even though 'perfect game' is the closest match by name, it really isn't the same.

Baseball has a lot of uniqueness to it among team sports, one of which being that on any given day, the best player in baseball provides useless/zero offense several games a year. Also, each player gets a near equal turn. That is far different than other sports...as it is next to impossible to have the best basketball player provide zero points or assists in a game, partly because of the nature of the game, and because that player doesn't have to wait his turn. You can just give him the ball more, and within the course of a game, he will provide something. It makes sense to give your best player the most chances.

Imagine having the 'option' of giving Mickey Mantle 27 at bats in a game, as you would see the instances of him contributing zero offensively, basically disappear. The instances of No-hitters would be pretty much eliminated right there(in conjunction with taking into account the nature of hitting/luck)...which is one of the reasons why 'no-hitters' don't really have a chance at occurring in other sports.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there probably isn't an equivalent in other sports, but an NFL game where a Team shutout an opponent while not allowing a First Down or perhaps an NBA game where a Team won and the opponent was never at the free-throw line would be cool to see.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An NFL team not allowing a Touchdown in a Super Bowl and only allowing a FG!

It's only been done once......by guess who????image
  • Options

<< <i>An NFL team not allowing a Touchdown in a Super Bowl and only allowing a FG!

It's only been done once......by guess who????image >>

Must be Dallas by your smiley.

First thought though was Bears over Pats 1986.

Now I have to Google.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dallas over Miami! image The same team that went undefeated the next year.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>An NFL team not allowing a Touchdown in a Super Bowl and only allowing a FG!

It's only been done once......by guess who????image >>

Must be Dallas by your smiley.

First thought though was Bears over Pats 1986.

Now I have to Google. >>

New England scored a field goal and a touchdown.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.