Home Sports Talk
Options

Would you vote any of the following into the HOF?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rose was a hof player. What he did later could have been handled as a ban with direct contact with active baseball. Hof is for the past not current play. I don't agree with what he did and think he is a jerk. But I would want him on my team. I played with and coached players like this. What made him great as a player ruined him as a person. My 2cent worth. >>

Don't disagree. He earned the name Charlie Hustle. Time heals a lot of stuff and I would like to see him get into the Hall in his lifetime. His gambling transgressions could be explained on a plaque.
  • Options

<< <i>Textwhat does rose have, that mlb wants, such that they would even consider modifying the agreement? >>

Goodwill. Not that Rose himself holds that quality, but many, many longtime baseball fans would like to see him in the HOF.

Not a big deal to me either way, but most fans would applaud the move, I believe.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If after this amount of time has passed I really believe he will never get in. Surely not in his or my lifetimes. Look at Shoeless Joe. Even with Ted Williams support he never got in and look at all the years that have passed.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Pete Rose was banned by MLB as part of an agreement to save his life from the mob.

Charlie Hustle had accumulated so much gambling debt that even after selling his world series rings, MVP trophy and uniforms in '88, he had to resort to desperate means to help cover himself.

The '88 500 Home Run show in Atlantic City highlighted by Ron Lewis's lithos was the peak of Rose's desperation. He needed more money, and he needed it fast!

As a co-promoter of the show, Rose stiffed his peers to the tune of $35,000 each for Mantle, Mays, Aaron,and Williams and $25,000 for the other seven living 500 HR hitters--Banks, Mathews, McCovey, Jackson, Killebrew, Robinson & Schmidt! Afterward, Harmon Killebrew needed the money badly prevent his auto dealership from bankruptcy, though was helped out with a loan by Reggie Jackson. (Think of this for a few minutes and let that sink in.)

The week after the show, Rose unloaded a hoard of over 300 completely signed lithographs, limited to 1000 for a mere $250 a pop of which I purchased two from a dealer in NJ for $700.

Despite all his, Rose still was coming up short. Seeing he would either be given a long walk off a short pier or a pair of cement shoes, Rose turned to MLB to help save his life.

Keep in mind, Pete Rose was not caught gambling by MLB, he turned himself in to Bart Giamatti's offices on Park Avenue. The revelations to MLB caught them completely by surprise.

In agreement to bail Rose out, Giamatti extracted from Rose his agreement to a lifetime ban. All the proceeds and transcripts of the discussions have been sealed and never made public.

Don't you think that Bud Selig would have caved to public sympathy for Rose? He hasn't because he's one of the very few people (including Pete Uberoth and the lawyers) who knows all the details.

Pete Rose absolutely belongs in the hall of fame, but not while he's living.

I also think that "Shoeless" Joe Jackson's induction should pave the way.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post, 53Bkid, that illustrates just how pervasive and destructive Rose's gambling habit was and why he remains banned for life.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but I've never bought that story. How does agreeing to a lifetime ban bail you out with the mob?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry but I've never bought that story. How does agreeing to a lifetime ban bail you out with the mob? >>

Not saying I agree with the theory, but the publicity of Pete's owing money to gamblers might make them think twice about going after him.

Don't see how anyone can really think Rose should be in the HOF. He screwed himself, and he agreed to the lifetime ban. Let's move on.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pete Rose was banned by MLB as part of an agreement to save his life from the mob.

Charlie Hustle had accumulated so much gambling debt that even after selling his world series rings, MVP trophy and uniforms in '88, he had to resort to desperate means to help cover himself.

The '88 500 Home Run show in Atlantic City highlighted by Ron Lewis's lithos was the peak of Rose's desperation. He needed more money, and he needed it fast!

As a co-promoter of the show, Rose stiffed his peers to the tune of $35,000 each for Mantle, Mays, Aaron,and Williams and $25,000 for the other seven living 500 HR hitters--Banks, Mathews, McCovey, Jackson, Killebrew, Robinson & Schmidt! Afterward, Harmon Killebrew needed the money badly prevent his auto dealership from bankruptcy, though was helped out with a loan by Reggie Jackson. (Think of this for a few minutes and let that sink in.)

The week after the show, Rose unloaded a hoard of over 300 completely signed lithographs, limited to 1000 for a mere $250 a pop of which I purchased two from a dealer in NJ for $700.

Despite all his, Rose still was coming up short. Seeing he would either be given a long walk off a short pier or a pair of cement shoes, Rose turned to MLB to help save his life.

Keep in mind, Pete Rose was not caught gambling by MLB, he turned himself in to Bart Giamatti's offices on Park Avenue. The revelations to MLB caught them completely by surprise.

In agreement to bail Rose out, Giamatti extracted from Rose his agreement to a lifetime ban. All the proceeds and transcripts of the discussions have been sealed and never made public.

Don't you think that Bud Selig would have caved to public sympathy for Rose? He hasn't because he's one of the very few people (including Pete Uberoth and the lawyers) who knows all the details.

Pete Rose absolutely belongs in the hall of fame, but not while he's living.

I also think that "Shoeless" Joe Jackson's induction should pave the way. >>

What's the source on the above story?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least some of the story is true. I am a big Killebrew guy and have heard that he borrowed a large sum of money from Reggie Jackson. Harmon had some serious financial problems for awhile.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>At least some of the story is true. I am a big Killebrew guy and have heard that he borrowed a large sum of money from Reggie Jackson. Harmon had some serious financial problems for awhile. >>

Players rarely earned over $100,000 until the mid to late 70's. Many of the rank and file players had off season jobs.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry but I've never bought that story. How does agreeing to a lifetime ban bail you out with the mob? >>

MLB either loaned him the money or just gave him to pay them off. Duh!

How else would you explain why Pete Rose walked into MLB's offices to inform them of his problem. According to the New York Times article when the story broke, MLB never even knew about it before that.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!