2»

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>"Let he without sin cast the fist stone." >>

One of if not the greatest saying ever. >>

When appropriately used, yes. When used as an excuse for poor behavior, it falls short. >>

You need to reread my post~I am not "excusing" this kid's behavior at all, but simply illustrated the ridiculousness of your previous post equating this foolish act with mowing down a family while driving drunk on Thanksgiving night (unless you have some sort of thought police mechanism that can foresee future criminal acts). We all know you like to exaggerate and to use hyperbole to make your point, but in this case, the point was pointless.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    You need to reread my post~I am not "excusing" this kid's behavior at all, but simply illustrated the ridiculousness of your previous post equating this foolish act with mowing down a family while driving drunk on Thanksgiving night (unless you have some sort of thought police mechanism that can foresee future criminal acts). We all know you like to exaggerate and to use hyperbole to make your point, but in this case, the point was pointless.

Seems to be a correlation between stupid drunken behavior and DUI accidents.

Nothing wrong with a drink or three, but best done in private when excessive.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was slammed to the turf by an Ohio State University football coach when he dashed onto the field at Ohio Stadium last month, but Anthony Wunder received gentler treatment yesterday in Franklin County Municipal Court.

Wunder, a 21-year-old mechanical-engineering student at OSU, was ordered to pay a $100 fine and court costs after he pleaded guilty to criminal trespassing for his Sept. 27 sprint during a game against the University of Cincinnati Bearcats.

The sentence, imposed by Judge H. William Pollitt Jr., was consistent with the penalties typically given for the low-level misdemeanor when committed by someone like Wunder who has no criminal record, said Lara Baker-Morrish, Columbus’ chief prosecutor.

Wunder will retain his scholarship through the Evans Scholars Foundation, provided that he completes an alcohol-awareness program, said Jeff Harrison, senior vice president of education at Western Golf Association, which sponsors the foundation.

“Anthony has accepted responsibility; he’s apologized and cooperated fully,” Harrison said. “He’s a good kid who made a mistake.”

Wunder, a Cincinnati resident, apologized to his family, the Evans Scholars and the university during the hearing and promised to complete all the requirements of the counseling program.

“I made a mistake, and it was very poor judgment,” he said.

Wunder’s attorney, Mark C. Collins, said after the hearing that “alcohol was a factor in this. Of course it was.”

Collins told the judge that Wunder has entered the university’s “Success Not Excess” program, which will last three to nine months. The Evans Scholars Foundation then will determine whether Wunder has successfully completed the program, Collins said.

In the meantime, he is not permitted to live in the Evans Scholars residence or participate in activities sponsored by the organization, which provides college scholarships for golf caddies.

Wunder, in the fourth year of a five-year engineering program, also faces a disciplinary hearing with university officials next week, Collins said. An OSU spokesman did not return a call seeking information about the hearing.

Collins said Wunder can apply to have the conviction expunged in one year, “which would coincide with graduation.”

Wunder’s run across the gridiron ended when he was grabbed by former OSU linebacker Anthony Schlegel, now an assistant coach, who body-slammed him and helped a security employee drag him off the field. One video of the tackle has generated 7 million views on YouTube.

In addition to the fine and counseling program, Collins said his client is dealing with “the embarrassment that he’s gone through on social media and the humiliation, and he brought that upon himself ... People can disagree about whether or not he was treated properly or slammed to the ground too hard, but that’s another discussion.”

He said Wunder was not injured during the incident and is not interested in taking legal action against Schlegel.

“As far as we’re concerned, this case is over,” Collins said.

jfutty@dispatch.com

@johnfutty

Finally this has been put into perspective, Im glad it turned out this way.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like an overall good kid, an engineering major no less, who made a foolish mistake. We've all been there, or most of us anyway. He's the only one who got hurt and I'm betting he learned his lesson.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like an overall good kid, an engineering major no less, who made a foolish mistake. We've all been there, or most of us anyway. He's the only one who got hurt and I'm betting he learned his lesson. >>

Well said.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Initially they were taking a pretty hard line . Sounds like a little behind the scenes quid pro quo . He probably threatened a lawsuit and got his scholarship back. image

The coach presumably wasn't drunk so whats his excuse ? The kid wouldn't have to win a lawsuit , just bring one and the school would have rolled over and settled for a quarter mill.

Of course the coachbag impressed the youtube clicker crowd and his boyfriends in the gym so ........ thats worth something right?

They should quietly demote him to a job that suits his IQ level

• Options

<< <i>The coach presumably wasn't drunk so whats his excuse ? The kid wouldn't have to win a lawsuit , just bring one and the school would have rolled over and settled for a quarter mill. >>

Please rewatch the video. This was an active play and the jerk was quite near a receiver and DB.

Freeze it at 0.00.

Text