Home U.S. Coin Forum

Paraphrasing Robert Duvall: "I love the sight of silver in the morning,...............

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
................... it looks like victory."

Gotta love his performance in Apocolypse Now.

Over the past week or so I have tossed the loose change I accumulate in my pocket into the drink holder in my car. Did so without looking at it.

This morning I pulled the accumulated change out to empty the drink holder. As I grabbed the cents, nickels, dimes and quarters and arranged them into a stack, I noticed among the multiple quarters an edge that looked different from the rest. No copper color and a lighter shade than clad. So I grabbed the quarter and looked at the date.

1964 D in EF condition.

Minor silver strike for me. First time in over a year that I found silver in change.image

Comments

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I hear him every time I walk into a bourse:

"That SMELL! That PVC SMELL… "
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The actual quote from the movie is "I love the smell of Jewel-Luster in the morning...... image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I love the SOUND of silver in the morning. Drop the quarter on the table and listen to it sing.

It sounds like real money....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting follow up from last night.

After leaving work at about 6:45 p.m. I stopped by the grocery store on the way home to pick up a few things. Paid with cash and received some change and currency. Got in the car and was about to toss the change into the drink holder and I noticed the obverse of a cent that had that "look". Turned it over and saw wheat ears.

A 1946 Philly cent in very nice condition (maybe EF) with smooth milk chocolate color.

Wonder if something similar will happen today.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wonder if something similar will happen today. >>

PM me if any mint set toned silver in MS67 turns up in the drink holder... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file