Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question on moving a collection

In the near future, I may be trying to help someone get rid of what's left of a collection. I think most of the items are from the late 80s/early 90s (sound familiar?) but with a fair amount of wax boxes but also stuff like Starting Lineups. Our of curiosity, for those of you who have bought out a collection, what did you do to help break it up and actually get rid of it? Are there people that buy junk wax? What's the best way to ship?

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In the near future, I may be trying to help someone get rid of what's left of a collection. I think most of the items are from the late 80s/early 90s (sound familiar?) but with a fair amount of wax boxes but also stuff like Starting Lineups. Our of curiosity, for those of you who have bought out a collection, what did you do to help break it up and actually get rid of it? Are there people that buy junk wax? What's the best way to ship? >>

Yes, sounds familiar. It typically takes lots of time and organization to get everything ready to sell. I try to figure out based on the organization I received it in (team, player, or set) which way I can break it down the fastest and get it into logical lots. Yes, there are people that buy junk wax, but they're typically looking for a given set or two at a time. For the really cheap stuff, I would list on Craigslist and avoid shipping altogether. For the others, USPS Flat rate for multiple boxes, Regional rate for single boxes when it makes sense.

ETA: Become familiar with any errors/variations in the sets you're selling if you want to maximize profits, though if the cards aren't in numerical order within a set it's likely not worth the extra time.