Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Junk wax luck

I have been buying 1992 Fleer baseball cello boxes sporadically in my quest for my own pack-pulled, high grade, Frank Thomas Rookie Sensations card. The RS cards seem to be seeded at 5 or 6 per box. Feel free to correct that. Anyway, first box about six months ago. Got a Thomas that graded out an 8. Next box, from different source a few months later, another Thomas. Off center, so I won't get it graded. This weekend I saw someone selling 4 boxes on eBay for under $10 a piece, so of course I bought all four. Super fast shipping got them here today. Third pack in first box, another Thomas. This one looks great. Can't wait to send it in. I can't believe that the card that evaded me at the time keeps coming my way. Still three other boxes to go.

As this was the only card I am after, i have multiple boxes worth of all the other cards. If anyone wants them ( the only cards I have taken out are the Thomas and Bagwell RS cards), they are yours for the cost of shipping. Drop me a PM.

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a scan of the Thomas?

I remember when those cellos were really hot!

I believe the retail was 2 bucks per and they were going for 5 to 8 bucks per when they were hot, hot, hot!

Another subset that was white hot back then? The Team Leader inserts in Fleer rack packs.

I can't remember what the Thomas was going for at it's peak? I think somewhere between 60 and 90 bucks?

My wife bought a mess of the racks for me and my son but we had moved on and still have a bunch - unopened.

I have a thread on my collecting experience during the "boom" - it's high time I got back and add to it.
    Mike
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    It was risky buying those boxes/packs because people could see through the plastic wrapping what cards had the RS in them.
  • Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    I never tried looking through the wrapper. I always thought they were too opaque to see through.

First box yielded the aforementioned Thomas and an equally nice Bagwell. Let's keep the momentum to box two. I'll work on getting a scan.

Does it make me a poor representative of the hobby that I literally go through each pack looking for just the blue border ( or black on the off chance a Clemens auto is hiding in there) and don't care what the other cards are?
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only opened a dozen or so boxes but, in my experience, the RS are 4 to a box on average. The set is really condition sensitive. I doubt I've ever pulled a card that would grade higher than a PSA 8. I've actually stopped ripping these boxes, that's how tough these cards are.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Whenever I want to have fun ripping, I will pick up a box or two of 1993 Score Select (green box) and pull 2 or 3 Jeter rookies out of each box.
    There is also a nice Mantle Triple Crown insert that can be pulled. The Jeters go for decent money in PSA 10.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    You couldn't see through the wrappers, but you could pretty easily slide the cards up and feel whether there was a slick card inside (could be a Rookie Sensation or Clemens insert).

Lee
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I bought one of those 92 Fleer cello boxes back in very early 1992 and only pulled one RS card. It is crazy that I can remember it was Ray Lankford.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a similar craze for Piazza Rookie Sensations in '93 Fleer?

The 92 Frank Thomas was very choice in the day. I remember selling the jumbos of '92 fleer in 1994 when I worked at a card shop (people were still chasing them then) $8? or so a pack I think.

BTW - Fleer finally goes on trial at the Hague this week for crimes against humanity resulting from the design of 1989-1993 Fleer baseball.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com