Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wow - This is definitely a First. You have to read this!

So, I was the winning bidder on an auction last week, and was thrilled with the price I paid. I won a 1931 WD & HO WILLS Cinema Stars WALT DISNEY (with Mickey Mouse) PSA 8.
This is the Rookie Card of Walt Disney, and fits in nicely with my collection of "Genius" cards. It is one of eight graded PSA 8, with none higher.

I was very excited to receive the card in the mail today, and was stunned by the condition. I see no flaws and my first thought was to resubmit and see if it would bump one, or maybe even two grades!

As I started to read the text on the back, it gives an interesting 1931 description of Walt Disney, and of his famous mouse, etc. Fascinating to read eighty year old perspective.

Everything was perfect, and I was feeling like my purchase was likely to be a lucrative find, until I finished reading the text.

It read simply, "Originally issued 1931. Reprinted 1992."

PSA, we have a problem.
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wow. i didn't think it was possible, but Face Palm Bear is making back-to-back appearances.

• Options
    There was a Brett Hull RC in a PWCC auction that was PSA graded with a "reprint" stamp on the back. Got pulled quickly...
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Ouch. I hope you already have children, 'cause that was a steel-toed kick to the junk.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I am not worried about the cost, because PSA will refund me the purchase amount by policy, correct?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I think that would certainly qualify under their policy. It was mislabeled and sold for the premium that an original would command. That's on them.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I hope you don't mind me sharing the link gregmo32.

1931 Walt Disney

It's interesting that this is the only listing that the seller uses a much smaller scan of the back of the card.

I like the card (the original) and may try to pick one up for my fiance as she's a Walt fan.

Hopefully PSA will take care of this. Would it be best to go through PSA or the eBay seller? Perhaps PSA will reimburse you for the card and you can send it to them to be destroyed? How would something like this be handled?
  • Options
    That is my understanding. I will deal with PSA directly, and they can destroy the holder, and send me back the authorized reprint.
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't you take recourse through PSA and eBay? The seller item was not as described. They should refund, but then will probably try to pawn it off again as an original.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options

<< <i>Shouldn't you take recourse through PSA and eBay? The seller item was not as described. They should refund, but then will probably try to pawn it off again as an original. >>

If the refund is via eBay then the card will need to be returned to the seller in its original condition, still in the slab.

If this is settled via PSA then the holder will be destroyed and the cert should be deleted.

The OP is doing the right thing by dealing with PSA directly.
  • Options
    And I guess PSA will buy that card back from the OP for the purchase price on eBay. If I were PSA I'd get that card back in hand at almost any cost. They should be happy that it went for $132.50

Because it appears the seller purposely tried to sell this as an original '31 by showing such a small scan of the back (as opposed to the other seller's listings which have large scans of the backs) and not mentioning anywhere in the title or description that the card is a reprint, I'd give them a negative. Just my two cents image
  • Options
    I don't think the seller is aware of it. Just a hunch. But I am going to deal with PSA directly, for all of the reasons described already. Then I will let the seller know.
  • Options
    I contacted Customer Service today. I will let you know what the result is when they respond to my situation.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    In before the POOF

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    We're all human.
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the other cards in your "Genius" collection?
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    wasn't genius the process in star trek that brought things back to life......oops....that was Genesis....sorry spock
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I have a legit Walt for sale but its the one without Mickey in a PSA 7. 1936 Mitchell & Son.
  • Options
    Though the Wall of Genius doesn't consist solely of cards, they are represented. The lineup currently includes, Albert Einstein, Vincent Van Gogh, Marie Curie, Muhammad Ali, Claude Monet, Bob Dylan, Stephen Hawking, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Ric Flair, Steve Weibe, Frida Kahlo, Lanny Poffo (with a heading stating, "self proclaimed, under review,"), Warren Zevon, Stan Lee, Cal Ripken, Nelson Mandela, Sigmund Freud, Randy Savage, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and now, Walt Disney. It is a wall I have in my office in the school I teach at, used to encourage kids to follow whatever dream they may have.
  • Options
    can you scan or post a copy of the zevon card? please be in a regular sized holder....

"gambling in havana. i'm a desperate man! said lawyers guns and money, the sh!t has hit the fan, yeah!"
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I have yet to find a card of Zevon. The CD case for his Greatest Hits Album "Genius" has to suffice for the display until then!
    Glad to meet another fan of one of the all time great songwriters.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"gambling in havana. i'm a desperate man! said lawyers guns and money, the sh!t has hit the fan, yeah!" >>

I always loved the line in Werewolves of London "his hair was PERFECT!"

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    mbz430embz430e Posts: 237 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't think the seller is aware of it. Just a hunch. But I am going to deal with PSA directly, for all of the reasons described already. Then I will let the seller know. >>

You may be correct about the seller but when was the last time you have seen a card from 31' listed as new under condition? In an 8 holder the best it could be is like new? Just a quick observation. I can't imagine your reaction but wow another black eye for PSA
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"gambling in havana. i'm a desperate man! said lawyers guns and money, the sh!t has hit the fan, yeah!" >>

I always loved the line in Werewolves of London "his hair was PERFECT!" >>

One of the top memorable lines ever!
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Though the Wall of Genius doesn't consist solely of cards, they are represented. The lineup currently includes, Albert Einstein, Vincent Van Gogh, Marie Curie, Muhammad Ali, Claude Monet, Bob Dylan, Stephen Hawking, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Ric Flair, Steve Weibe, Frida Kahlo, Lanny Poffo (with a heading stating, "self proclaimed, under review,"), Warren Zevon, Stan Lee, Cal Ripken, Nelson Mandela, Sigmund Freud, Randy Savage, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and now, Walt Disney. It is a wall I have in my office in the school I teach at, used to encourage kids to follow whatever dream they may have. >>

What do you have displayed for Steve Wiebe?
  • Options
    2009 Allen and Ginter rookie Card.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Though the Wall of Genius doesn't consist solely of cards, they are represented. The lineup currently includes, Albert Einstein, Vincent Van Gogh, Marie Curie, Muhammad Ali, Claude Monet, Bob Dylan, Stephen Hawking, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Ric Flair, Steve Weibe, Frida Kahlo, Lanny Poffo (with a heading stating, "self proclaimed, under review,"), Warren Zevon, Stan Lee, Cal Ripken, Nelson Mandela, Sigmund Freud, Randy Savage, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and now, Walt Disney. It is a wall I have in my office in the school I teach at, used to encourage kids to follow whatever dream they may have. >>

Very nice, glad to see that there are still creative thinking teachers out there.......if you reach only one child you've earned your pay......need more of our children to be pursuers of dreams and not just followers

al.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    gregmo,

here's my band doing lawyers guns and money down in the domican republic last year! enjoy!

went home with a waitress
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I never considered W Zevon a genius songwriter; more like a one hit wonder in MHO.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    He is both, MMiller. PM me your address and one of these days I will send you a copy of his greatest hits. Amazing stuff, and "Werewolves of London" is probably my 43rd favorite of his songs.
  • Options
    begsu,

The video is awesome! My favorite current musician is Todd Snider, and he name-checks Widespread Panic in my favorite tune of his, so I have been meaning to check out their stuff.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    yep. dave schools (panic's bassist, my pic) just finished up touring w. todd, along w duane trucks. billed as "the hard working americans". pretty good stuff!

good to finally see someone here w. some decent musical appreciation!
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, I never considered W Zevon a genius songwriter; more like a one hit wonder in MHO. >>

That's because his music was not "commercial". Follow his career from start to finish, and you will see he was a song writing genius, well versed in politics and sports. Check out "Bill Lee". Was once at a concert at the old Bayou in Georgetown, when he broke a guitar string. While restringing, the audience broke out singing "Bill Lee"---he pointed the microphone at the crowd until the song was finished! And don't forget "Boom Boom Mancini"