Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Missing Express Mail package

Missing Express Mail Package

The attached coin was sent by Federal Express on Monday, September 22, 2014 and was last scanned in Memphis. The coin is still missing.

Anyone with information please contact:

Jeff Garrett 859-276-1551

or

Doug Davis 817-723-7231

The Numismatic Crime Information Center is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit
corporation. P.O. Box 14080 Arlington, Texas 76094.

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks!
    I hope it turns out ok and is just misplaced. If stolen, I hope someone gets busted.

Whenever I see things like this, it makes me sad. It also makes me wonder, having recently sent a few coins using express mail, how they were packaged (wondering if it was similar to what I do)....
    I just always try to learn and minimize potential issues.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    This is becoming a regular thing This the 8th time in the last 2 months I have heard of missing Express mail packages
    I have sent many Express mail packages of coins worth over $ 5,000 a pop ...thinking Express mail was pretty secure..
    No More US.Mail express.. .FedEx ...
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Fed Ex and Express Mail are two different companies. The latter is the Postal Service.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confusing OP. Was it sent via "Express Mail" (A USPS service), or via "Federal Express" (a.k.a. FedEx)?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The USPS is FedEx's single largest customer. Almost all Express Mail larger than a large envelope or weighs more than a pound travels by FedEx. FedEx had some serious service disruptions late last week and into the weekend due to power outages and weather so there is a chance the package is just delayed.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Fed Ex and Express Mail are two different companies. The latter is the Postal Service. >>

the real fact is I send anything of value registered Mail...I have owned FedEx stock since it was in the 80s good stock but company bad some apple workers
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered mail i.s the way to go with valuable items. It's much more secure. Sometimes takes a while but for my stuff I'd much rather have security than expediency. I still can't figure why anyone would send a valuable coin like this one any other way than registered mail.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered mail gets stolen also, don't be fooled.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Registered mail gets stolen also, don't be fooled. >>

Very rarely. USPS is much more vigorous at investigating missing registered shipments. My USPS employed buddy says mail handlers pucker when they have to sign for custody of it and can't wait to pass it on to the next guy. Registered is also the only method that USPS will honor insurance claims for anything classified as bullion.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    I strongly recommend that a person uses a third party insurance.
    Something like ship and insure, not postal insurance.
    They cover the item and any damage while in transit.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>I strongly recommend that a person uses a third party insurance.
    They cover the item and any damage while in transit. >>

But is this a cost effective method for the occasional shipper of high value items?

• Options
    You tell me if it is cost effective?

In this case I say yes.

If you ship 12 or more times a year I say get the insurance .

• Options
    What method of shipping does a third party insurer require?

• Options

<< <i>You tell me if it is cost effective?

In this case I say yes.

If you ship 12 or more times a year I say get the insurance . >>

coin value $$ 90,000.... wow
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

But is this a cost effective method for the occasional shipper of high value items? >>

You pay IIRC $44 for a membership to an organization. You tell them what you have and you must ship it they way they tell you to. If they say use the USPS then you must use the USPS. You only get a discount on the USPS insurance rates in that case. For expensive stuff, more often than not they will probably require you to use FEDEX o Express mail.
  • Options

<< <i>

But is this a cost effective method for the occasional shipper of high value items? >>

MECKA LECKA HI MECKA DOUBLE POST!
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been using it for forty years, maybe averaging 15-20 times per year. Never a problem. That's not to say something rarely goes missing but there's no comparison to other forms of shipping for security.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What method of shipping does a third party insurer require? >>

Depends on what you pay! image

The insurer we have used for nearly 2 decades ( Barb Wingo, NACA ) offers us both fedex and express mail. Once the postal carrier left a 1794 dollar I sent to NY on a snowbank next to the customers mailbox outside. In general the insurer requires us to have burglary, armed robbery etc and the shipping aspect is a small part of a larger package.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Very rarely. USPS is much more vigorous at investigating missing registered shipments. My USPS employed buddy says mail handlers pucker when they have to sign for custody of it and can't wait to pass it on to the next guy. Registered is also the only method that USPS will honor insurance claims for anything classified as bullion. >>

This. For high value items I go RM because it has the best track record of safe arrival, period. It's slow, but much safer. I do occasionally use Express Mail depending on the amount and if the recipient is in a well-served area. Lesser but still valuable items go Priority Mail insured with Signature Confirmation.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered mail is a huge pain in the neck, slow, and expensive
    And the only way to send coins you don't want to lose imo
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I did not figure the cost to insure 90k but sometimes a in person delivery would be okay depending on the location. A short vacation is always welcome to me.

If it has value someone is working on a way to steal it.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered mail is a huge pain in the neck, slow, and expensive

I agree on 2 of the 3......expensive? No.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    still nothing about how it was packaged....

Was it in a small box and put in an express mail envelope?
    Express mail box itself?

Was the flap taped?

Could it have become opened in packaging (accidentally) and fallen out?

When I send, someone could still STEAL it, but anything accidental would still likely get to the recipient, or back to me....
    I package in a small box, putting the mailing info on the outside (to: fromimage and seal the box. I put the box in the express mail envelope and tape (I prefer using the registered mail tape) the flap.
    I then address the package and mail directly from my local USPS. Note: inside each part of the package, I put a paper with the mailing info as well. All this has been overkill so far but really only takes me a couple of minutes extra.

If the package were to rip open or somehow get damaged, the box should survive with the info.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>still nothing about how it was packaged....

Was it in a small box and put in an express mail envelope?
    Express mail box itself?

Was the flap taped?

Could it have become opened in packaging (accidentally) and fallen out?

When I send, someone could still STEAL it, but anything accidental would still likely get to the recipient, or back to me....
    I package in a small box, putting the mailing info on the outside (to: fromimage and seal the box. I put the box in the express mail envelope and tape (I prefer using the registered mail tape) the flap.
    I then address the package and mail directly from my local USPS. Note: inside each part of the package, I put a paper with the mailing info as well. All this has been overkill so far but really only takes me a couple of minutes extra.

If the package were to rip open or somehow get damaged, the box should survive with the info. >>

At what point do you just drive it there yourself? image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Very rarely. USPS is much more vigorous at investigating missing registered shipments. My USPS employed buddy says mail handlers pucker when they have to sign for custody of it and can't wait to pass it on to the next guy. Registered is also the only method that USPS will honor insurance claims for anything classified as bullion. >>

This. For high value items I go RM because it has the best track record of safe arrival, period. It's slow, but much safer. I do occasionally use Express Mail depending on the amount and if the recipient is in a well-served area. Lesser but still valuable items go Priority Mail insured with Signature Confirmation. >>

What he said....Minimal people involved with handling , using RM.
  • Options
    It was probably inside of a box that was a 1,000 or more times bigger that the item itself. Two things that 3rd party insurers count on. Short transit times to minimize exposure. BIG BIG box that's too BIG to conceal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file