Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade, Kennedys varieties?

To the Kennedy variety experts, please look at the enclosed photos and give me your opinion as to whether the 66,67,68-D are minor or major varieties please. Also, what do you think of the grade of the 1981-D's grade? Thanks in advance. Ray

[URL=http://s106.photobucket.com/user/raycyca/media/1966.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s106.photobucket.com/user/raycyca/media/1981DMS.png.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s106.photobucket.com/user/raycyca/media/1968D-1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s106.photobucket.com/user/raycyca/media/1967.jpg.html]image[/URL]image
You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Comments

• Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    66,66,66,66?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll overgrade the '81-D because it's clean and has a nice shield. I think it might go MS-67 but 66 is more likely.

Sometimes these Gems from rolls are just astounding and this is one of them I believe.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Kennedys but varieties?image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite simply, that mark in the hair (81) is what keeps that out of the MS68 category!
    Could go 67, probably 66. The others looks super gemmy too.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Quite simply, that mark in the hair (81) is what keeps that out of the MS68 category!
    Could go 67, probably 66. The others looks super gemmy too. >>

+1 (a little help from the ding on the L)

When you compare it to the other MS66 on CF(yes, I cheated), I feel that its a lock for 67. Wait a while and resubmit.
    I just got an MS67 in NGC holder. Been waiting a while to get that grade/MM. Birth set complete.
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    The 1966 I think is an FS-101, 1967 is an FS-102, 1968-D is the TDO FS-101. I submitted the 68 after I already had the 68 TDO in hand in MS 65. But, the dark toning makes it hard to see. Checking the CP and a couple other set owner's photos sure look like the varieties. NOPE! Our host says plain old MS coins. the 1966 is an MS 65. Started out in a 63 holder, again. About the 1981-D: I have in my hands an MS-67 1981-D. This 81-D is SO much better! Like Pat said, close to a 68 but for the hair hit, L hit isn't so bad. Thanks guys. Still looking for any inputs on varieties?
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    Lets see your other 81 D. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    they all look like 64s sans the `81 d but, what the hell do I know
  • Options

<< <i>The 1966 I think is an FS-101, 1967 is an FS-102, 1968-D is the TDO FS-101. I submitted the 68 after I already had the 68 TDO in hand in MS 65. But, the dark toning makes it hard to see. Checking the CP and a couple other set owner's photos sure look like the varieties. NOPE! Our host says plain old MS coins. >>

I bet the 66 looks great in hand with the polish lines! Unfortunately, that's also your tell that it is not the FS-101. The FS-101 obverse does not have the polishing to the left of Kennedy's face or below the bust. You DO have a doubled profile with minor doubling on the motto. The other way your 66 differs from FS-101 is the large spread on "WE"

What is SHOULD look like

Yours

In regards to the 67, I think I see some doubling on the "R" in Liberty and the "U" in trust. The Pick up point for me on the FS-102 variety(and in the CPG) is the "S" in TRUST. Look for the bottom serif to be doubled. Yours does not show this.
    What to look for is on top, Yours is on bottom:

As for the 68 D..... its so hard to tell. Honestly, I don't see the tripling in the CF photos of their FS-101s. I'm sure its there though.

Hope this helped.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    I do not believe the 1967 is FS-102 but rather some unrecognized 'minor variety'.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1966 is not FS-101 but merely a heavily machine doubled coin.

The 1967 is not the FS-102 as it simply does not have the requisite spread of the serif on the bottom of the S on Trust. It is one of the other minor varieties which I do not have the skill set to determine.

The 1968-D, I'm not really sure about.

My advice: Send them to CONECA for attribution BEFORE sending them to PCGS as PCGS does not have the same photographic database for determining these varieties as CONECA AND the CPG is woefully neglect in supplying adequate identifying photographic information or documentation. PCGS uses the CPG for attributing some of these obscure varieties and has been known in the past to misattribute a few here and there. Besides, CONECA is the AUTHORITY for Variety attribution that the CPG uses for identifying these coins.

Unless the 68-D you currently own has been attributed by CONECA as an actual DDO-002, I would be suspicious of its attribution since the CPG photograph simply doesn't show a whole lot of anything.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file