Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Don Mattingly Is The Greatest Dodger Manager Ever.

Don Mattingly has the best pitcher in the game Clayton Kershaw going for the Triple Crown for pitching
and he has him pitching batting practice before the last game of the season. Earth to Mattingly he only
needs three bleeping more strikeouts to tie.

Zack Greinke pitches 5 innings 77 pitches what in the world is Mattingly thinking dose he not know what is going on
with his own team our is he just a sleeping on the job. So now if the Dodgers loss in the first round of the
playoffs what a wasted season at least you could say that your best pitcher won the triple in 6 less starts then
anybody else. Wow what a wasted opportunity.

Done with rant.

James

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh??

Are you seriously suggesting that Mattingly should bring his ace into a meaningless game at the end of the season on short rest no less with a chance at a World Series championship looming just so he can get 4 strikeouts?? (Surely, you must know that pitching batting practice or in the bullpen is NOTHING like coming into an actual MLB game, right?) Now, THAT move would mean that Mattingly has truly lost his mind!! My lord!! LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Pitching batting practice or two innings against Colorado it's the same thing if your Clayton Kershaw. image

James
  • Options
    There's no "I" in Kershaw.

• Options
    There's no "Hall Of Fame" in Mattingly without World Series is that what you meant?
  • Options
    All kidding aside guy I like Mattingly just a little bummed out about Kershaw being so close to getting the
    triple crown. I hope the Dodgers win the World Series but I think they will fall short this year do to pitching.

James
  • Options
    As I've said on these boards before, I believe Donnie's career falls a bit short of the HOF. It doesn't change my man love for himimage

Perhaps he"ll pull a Torre and get in if he wins some championships in LA. Woulda been cool for Kershaw to get the pitching TC. He's dominant enough that he should have no problem winning it next year if he stays healthy for the full season. Let's go Dodgers!

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As I've said on these boards before, I believe Donnie's career falls a bit short of the HOF. It doesn't change my man love for himimage

Perhaps he"ll pull a Torre and get in if he wins some championships in LA. Woulda been cool for Kershaw to get the pitching TC. He's dominant enough that he should have no problem winning it next year if he stays healthy for the full season. Let's go Dodgers! >>

+1
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

<< <i>There's no "I" in Kershaw. >>

+1

"Ever notice when you yell in a library you get strange looks; but when you yell on a plane.. Everyone yells with you!!
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Woulda been cool for Kershaw to get the pitching TC. He's dominant enough that he should have no problem winning it next year if he stays healthy for the full season. >>

I agree. It is not Don Mattingly's fault that Clayton Kershaw was injured this season. There is always next year.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I was quite surprised to find out this is the Dodgers' four division title since 2008...too bad they went "three and out" in 2008 and 2009 and didn't put up a much better fight in 2013, losing to the Braves in four. Perhaps this time Donnie and the Blue Crew will have better luck? Anything can happen in the postseason and you guys know I found that out very well last year indeed image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    You can name this thread whatever you want under the first amendment. But that doesn't change the fact that I found it hurtful, sir.
  • Options
    I think Mattingly and Kershaw both know that he's been dominate everywhere but the postseason in his young career and are rightfully more concerned with that 3 series gauntlet.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only an idiot places individual statistical achievements over what's best for a team's postseason run. I'm sure both Mattingly and Kershaw agree with the course that was chosen. Kershaw knows his Cy Young and perhaps even an MVP are secured, and while the stats mean a ton to many fans, the players often take a much different (and team oriented) perspective on such things.

The Dodgers feel an urgency to make a run this year, and should Kershaw tweak anything in a meaningless game seeking 4 Ks, it would be an epic debacle. Pitching for the K is also not the usual way Ks happen, and an easy way to overthrow on short rest, even at the professional level. In that way the potential bad far outweighs the potential good. If they were a last place team, perhaps it would be a different story.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was quite surprised to find out this is the Dodgers' four division title since 2008...too bad they went "three and out" in 2008 and 2009 and didn't put up a much better fight in 2013, losing to the Braves in four. Perhaps this time Donnie and the Blue Crew will have better luck? Anything can happen in the postseason and you guys know I found that out very well last year indeed image >>

Dodgers lost to the Cardinals in six in 2013 in the NLCS, of course they meet in the NLDS this year.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    better keep 'em all cool 'til Friday. gonna be like a sauna here.
  • Options
    If their Playoff spot wasn't already guaranteed, I would agree with you. But you don't do something like that when you are already guaranteed a Playoff spot.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Most knowledgeable Dodgers fans would agree with your thread title in substance, but not because of the situation you're pointing out. I've used many colorful and descriptive adjectives several times this season when calling Mattingly an idiot.

Kershaw is simply following his normal routine between starts. Besides, if Kershaw was such a good pitcher he would have gotten those four strikeouts in the games he pitched. Or maybe he shouldn't have missed those five starts. Overrated, I say.

• Options
    well, Brian Wilson certainly seems intent on making him look like one. image
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Don Mattingly is a smart great guy
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don Mattingly has the best pitcher in the game Clayton Kershaw going for the Triple Crown for pitching
    and he has him pitching batting practice before the last game of the season. Earth to Mattingly he only
    needs three bleeping more strikeouts to tie.

Zack Greinke pitches 5 innings 77 pitches what in the world is Mattingly thinking dose he not know what is going on
    with his own team our is he just a sleeping on the job. So now if the Dodgers loss in the first round of the
    playoffs what a wasted season at least you could say that your best pitcher won the triple in 6 less starts then
    anybody else. Wow what a wasted opportunity.

Done with rant.

James >>

Just win baby!!!!
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Just changed the title of the thread from Don Mattingly Is An Idiot to Don Mattingly Is The Greats Dodger Manager Ever
    but I have a feeling I am going to get the same responses I got before.

James

• Options
    I agree. He is "the greats."
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Johnny Cueto would like to thank Don Mattingly.image
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me jump in here while the H2O is still warm...and yes, I do know the season is over, but I do have somewhat of an opinion.

1) Kershaw will win the N.L. Cy Young award, probably by yet another unanimous vote, and he knows it along with every other person on the planet.
    2) Kershaw will earn some votes for the N.L. MVP award, and yet maybe win it as some pitchers have done in the past. Usually the Cubs trade those Guys away first. image
    3) Mattingly, Kershaw and everyone that knows baseball would look down on these 2 Guys for Kershaw going into the very last game of the season that he is not scheduled to start just to get a few strikeouts, just so he can win a Pitching Triple Crown, which several pitchers through the recent years have won, and mostly no-one even ever speaks about in the news media, but again if Kershaw was put into the last game to get these 4 strike outs, it would follow him the rest of his career as he would be labeled a "Stat" chaser or an "Award" chaser and not a "TEAM" player, which he certainly is. He needs negative media news coverage like the NFL does.
    4) Mattingly is NOT concerned about individual player awards, and I'm sure Kershaw isn't, nor is Greinke.
    5) The Dodgers, if they do play Atlanta, better worry about beating them, because they may have a repeat of years past.

6) The only thing on any of the Dodgers minds, and rightly so, should be a World Series Ring, and that is it. The rest of that stuff is icing on the cake.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that is so stupid the pitching triple crown is not taken as seriously as the batting one.

And you are right about putting the team first...after all nobody hangs banners for individual achievements (other than number retirement of course). See how we hang giant blue banners for each year we make the Final Four? Here check out these banners of our All-Americans, and our All-SEC's, and our NCAA stat leaders, and...oh wait...
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Great job Don Mattingly you and not your team lost game 1 & 4 have a nice offseason.

James
  • Options
    Wrong. That offense couldn't score a run when it counted. And Kershaw choked yet again. That's baseball.

• Options
    Groundhog D(odger)ay.
  • Options

<< <i>Wrong. That offense couldn't score a run when it counted. And Kershaw choked yet again. That's baseball. >>

Wrong leaving Kershaw in when he clearly should have been pulled lost them both game watch both games with
    friends and everyone was say why the hell is Mattingly not pulling him.

James
  • Options
    And if he pulls him and the pen implodes, then he should have left Kershaw in. The manager gets vilified either way in this scenario. End of the day, the best pitcher in the game needed to get someone out, and failed. And professional hitters had six outs to muster a run or two, and also failed. The players had their chances in this specific game and could not get the job done.

• Options
    Wacha doo.
  • Options

<< <i>And if he pulls him and the pen implodes, then he should have left Kershaw in. The manager gets vilified either way in this scenario. End of the day, the best pitcher in the game needed to get someone out, and failed. And professional hitters had six outs to muster a run or two, and also failed. The players had their chances in this specific game and could not get the job done. >>

Yes true we will never know how both games would have could have turned out but I think the lack of action by Mattingly in both
    games was down right horrible.

James
  • Options
    As it turned out, I can completely see your point. But the best pitcher has to step up-- it was his second chance of the series. And the offense needed some heroics.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    No excuses. Kershaw was the reason they lost two games. But honestly, the original point of this thread wasn't too far off. He's not anywhere near as good on anything except strict regular rest. They probably should have thrown him for 4 innings on the last Sunday of the season.
  • Options
    In game one an argument can be made to have pulled Kershaw with the bases loaded in the 7th, but I don't think you can kill a manager for leaving the best pitcher on Gods Green Earth in the game.

As far as today's game, I don't think there is a manager in baseball that would have pulled him. He was pitching great, and then 1,2,3 The Dodgers were behind. It happened too quickly for anyone (except Kershaw) to do anything about it.

• Options
    When it comes to postseason games I think it's a whole different game then a regular season games.
    In a regular season you can afford to leave your starting pitcher out to try to finish an inning. In a postseason
    game a manager job must be to do everything he can to not let a lead / win get away. The postseason is
    not the time or place to see what your pitcher is made of it's the time to win games by the best means possible
    which in both game is not leaving your starter in.

I think these were just rookie mistakes and if the Dodgers and Mattingly go to the postseason again Mattingly
    will do things a little different if in the same type of spot again.

James
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think these were just rookie mistakes and if the Dodgers and Mattingly go to the postseason again Mattingly
    will do things a little different if in the same type of spot again.

James >>

Isn't this what was said last year? image

I'm going to coin this: "The Cubs Effect" Same results every year..... Lose in the post season no matter how well they do in the regular season, no matter how many games they won.

Hey, it's Post season baseball.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    We blame pitching for a 3 - 2 loss?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> And the offense needed some heroics - see Harper, Bryce. >>

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> And the offense needed some heroics - see Harper, Bryce. >>

>>

I caught that line, but it's not most of the discussion and I think it's still not quite it. It was short rest and the BP kept it at 3. They didn't need offensive heroics at all. Just a standard productive game. 2 - 3 is a push for the pitching staff and failure for the offense.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    He's still "the greats", whatever the hell that means.
  • Options
    By heroics I meant they had six outs in crunch time to muster a rally. They could not. Yes, they could have put up more runs before then. I agree the loss was primarily a failure of offense. And of course that hanger thrown for the HR really stung-- yet Kershaw's overall line was far from poor.

• Options
    Kershaw wasn't the reason the Dodgers lost Game 4. Three runs and four hits in 6 IP on short rest is all you can really ask for from a pitcher.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    All the Dogs are having their day in baseball...so much for it being tougher on the wildcard teams in the new format!