Home Sports Talk
Options

What is the logic of firing an MLB manager with 2 games left.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
As Arizona fired Kirk Gibson?

Don't care about the team or the manager, but why not wait till the season has ended?

Comments

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I agree. That type of behavior is not very logical at all.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    during the season, the message gets out there much better. After the season, the message gets lost.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree. That type of behavior is not very logical at all. >>

Didnt understand it. Doesn't make sense for them to fire him and of him not coach out the last three. Both are the mind of moves that could put off future employees or employers.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To make a statement that ownership is not happy~guess there's no love lost there.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Bush league move IMO. Hope they finish last next year because of it.
  • Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    You want the real logic or the half logic. The half logic version is that the ball club wanted the news to be on the front of the sports page and not get buried behind all the NFL news. The real reason was probably to get agents and potential manager replacements to inquire about the opening setting up interviews before other clubs could do the same. It' kind of like a right of first refusal move. The downside of course as you pointed out is that public perception looks kind of bad, but some clubs place a higher value on getting their guy over how they are perceived in the short term.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>during the season, the message gets out there much better. After the season, the message gets lost. >>

I believe that is the reason most of the time.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    or in this case, with a new overseer of Baseball Operations in LaRussa, and a new GM in Dave Stewart, Gibson likely may have inquired about his status within the org and didn't care for the answer that was given (usually- 'we'll evaluate after the season'). With no vote of confidence, Gibson realized he was going to be clipped, and they parted ways and he's now eligible to be evaluated by other organizations, two of which- the Astros and Rangers- have already begun interviews with potential managerial candidates.
  • Options
    um dont hit a homer in the world series and you wont lose your job later......