Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collecting Near/Partial Sets

I've considered collecting 1960's baseball sets, but have always held back due to not wanting to pay big bucks for short prints and star cards. I'm not much for low grade cards, so that isn't a potential solution that works for me. As another remedy, I've also thought about collecting all but the most expensive cards and/or series in a set, but never got around to doing that.

So, I'm curious, does anyone out there collect mid- to high-grade sets minus a handful of the expensive cards with each set? I'm talking more about 60's Topps sets rather than the big, expensive sets like the T206 and the 1952 Topps sets, which I know are commonly collected minus the big cards. I'd really like to hear about your experiences if you've done this before. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I don't but i would say if that will make you happy then go ahead and do it. Each and every set has there own cool cards so i would think the cards will bring you a lot of enjoyment.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    You may want to consider collecting star cards that are graded PSA NM 7 from a set of your choice. That is what I would do. Take your time building it. It will be very fun and rewarding.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    I build sets in 5,6,7 grade in the older years. Cards look good and much less cost.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    A big part of the collector mentality is the drive to complete the collection. It seems counterintuitive to work on getting the majority of the set and just stopping short, the satisfaction one gets from completing the task is denied.
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    That's all great advice. Thank you!
  • Options

<< <i>You may want to consider collecting star cards that are graded PSA NM 7 from a set of your choice. That is what I would do. Take your time building it. It will be very fun and rewarding. >>

Good point.
    Im not much of a completionist, especially on the really big sets.
    One thing you might enjoy would be to do the HOFers in each of the sets you are looking for. Great cards, great players, attainable and available.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You may want to consider collecting star cards that are graded PSA NM 7 from a set of your choice. That is what I would do. Take your time building it. It will be very fun and rewarding. >>

Good point.
    One thing you might enjoy would be to do the HOFers in each of the sets you are looking for. Great cards, great players, attainable and available. >>

I agree. I find that if I start with this at times easier to work on the bigger set since I have the base cards. Short prints I don't get if not a HOF. But I do know it does drive up the price.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good point.
    One thing you might enjoy would be to do the HOFers in each of the sets you are looking for. Great cards, great players, attainable and available. >>

I agree. I find that if I start with this at times easier to work on the bigger set since I have the base cards. Short prints I don't get if not a HOF. But I do know it does drive up the price. >>

I've always gravitated to the HOFers in sets. I just don't really have the patience to put huge sets together.
    I'm working on a 1963 fleer set. Small and not extremely difficult in 6-7. Now to put a set together like mike (stone193) it's a really tough set.