Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best raw card you ever picked up?

Meaning you bought it as a single, not from a pack, and had it graded. I have nothing to contribute to this thread but I thought others might want to share their fish stories.

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a 2010 Topps Allen and Ginter Regis Philbin tie relic with 4 colors I bought from a collector in Hawaii. Came back in a PSA 10.

Now think that the card was printed and distributed from Pennsylvania, sent all the way to Hawaii, mailed to me in Illinois, mailed to PSA in California, and received a PSA 10. That is a lot of miles, maybe not as much as the 1991 Topps Desert Shield issues, but I think it is kinda different if you think about it.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    At a National back in 06 I stopped by a dealers table when I was putting my 67 topps baseball set together and asked if he had any Rod Carew rookies and he pulled 4 from his case and told me to take my pick. The first one had bad corners and 2 o/c a little bit, but one looked really clean so I started looking for something wrong with it but cold not fine anything so I asked how much for this one he said give me $75. After I picked it up I sent it into PSA and it graded a 8. I think that was one of the best raw I picked up.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had quite a few raw buys that have turned into great scores.

The one that sticks out the most is the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B #7 Kerry Von Erich.

This card is insanely tough and he just happens to be one of the biggest stars from the 80's and a personal favorite.

I was bidding on a number of auctions and they were close to ending. In just a few minutes I was set to be going to lunch with a mutual fund wholesaler and we were going to Houston's which is a great restaurant in Winter Park, FL.

He whipped out his Ipad and I said if I can check the auctions I will go. We sat at the bar and I put in a few final bids and won some nice cards.

One of them was in my view the best Von Erich I had ever seen raw. I submitted it and it became the second to grade mint. I had purchased the first one for $122 a few months earlier.

I paid $57 which was a strong price for a raw copy and I am glad I did.

This was a few years ago and it is exciting to revisit.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gave a guy 1/2 my table on a Sunday show - so equivalent of 30 buck buy.

Also got a 1961-2 Fleer #46 BaylorIA for 30 bucks from Rotman Auctions and it came back a 9. Can't find the scan right now.
    Mike
  • Options
    About in 2001 I bought a "Mint" Molitor RC site unseen on half.com for $30. It ended up grading a PSA 9. Not Bad.
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Picked up a raw 84 fleer update Roger Clemens last year for $90.00 and it came back a PSA 10.
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    64 Larussa RC $5 = PSA 9
    75 Brett RC $80-ish (bought with whole set) = PSA 8
    63 Fleer Spahn raw $10 = SGC 88 NM-MT
    75 Morgan $5-ish (bought with whole set) = PSA 9
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    When I was about 15 I picked up a 1984 OPC Steve Yzerman RC which I held onto and graded about 10 years later at PSA 9. Picked it up for $5 at the Gibralter Sports Card Show in Michigan. Had to sell it a few years ago, unfortunately.

BTW = the cert number on that card is: 30939111 and if you find it I will pay you twice the VCP average for it!

If you find Topps Wayne Gretzky 1979 rookie, cert number: 30939110 I will pay you VERY handsomely for it as it was a card my father purchased for me raw at the same show and I'm kicking myself now for selling it image

Fingers crossed they both haven't been cracked and resubbed!
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    picked up a George Gervin rookie about a year and a half ago on Ebay for $4. Came back solid PSA 8 and sold for $220
    picked up a 1935 Joe Louis for $63 several years back, came back an 8 and sold for just under $600
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Back when I was near finishing my basic Jim Brown set I was just looking to complete them all in PSA 5 or better. One of the last ones I needed was a 1962 with those dreaded black borders and centering issues. I ended up picking one up off eBay for about $200 that looked really sharp and it ended up grading PSA 8!

It was the only 8 I had in the set at the time and that one card started me down the path on wanting all my Jimmy cards to be PSA 8...

Many years later I achieved that goal and that card remains one of my favorites.

Scott
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    My first ebay purchase was a 1951 Connie Mack All Stars Mickey Cochrane for $75. Got it graded PSA 5 several years later.
    One of my earliest NAXCOM purchases, shortly after they started, was a 1940 Play Ball Charlie Gehringer, listed as VG or better with a stock photo, for about $23. Got it graded PSA 6.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    72 Clemente. I paid $12.00 for it and it graded 8.5
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a fun thread. Lots of cool stories. The biggest card in my collection to date is a raw pick up. When I was in high school I bought a 1986 Fleer Jordan RC from the LCS. I went in with my brother on it and we paid $350 for this card (this was right before Jordan won his first title). I have actually been really lucky at picking out raw 1986 Fleer cards. The cards in the scan below were all raw pick ups that were self submitted. I also picked up raw Karl Malone, Charles Barkley and Dominique Wilkins RC's from eBay last year that I submitted to PSA and got 9's and 8's (I expected the 8's). The Jordan RC is my favorite card because of the history behind it.

Steve
  • Options
    ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Bought a 1967 Mantle from a Kit Young mail order catalog for $12 many years ago(prolly around 1982-84ish). I included it with the initial submission to PSA a ways back and came back PSA 8.

Kinda thinking it's worthy of a review, but no idea if I'll ever get around to it.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Not earth shattering but I purchased a 1959 raw Billy Martin from Mike Wheat years back it ended up PSA 8.I trust his grading.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I won a raw 1983 Topps Ryne Sandberg RC on ebay and it graded a PSA 10. Sold it a couple of years later after he was inducted into the HOF.

I also bought a 1948 Leaf Football #1 Sid Luckman RC through the mail for $100 that graded a PSA 6. At the time it was around a pop five, with only a few graded higher. Up to that point, I had graded close to 10 Sid Luckman RCs, with around 3 or 4 PSA 5s, so I was pretty happy to get the PSA 6. I still have it in my collection, it's one of the best centered Luckmans I've come across.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Two 1990 Topps George Bush cards. I bought them for 2k and threw it in my safe thinking nothing if it until the two version story came out so I had them graded and they came back as the White Version. Back then they were selling for almost 10k each.
  • Options
    My only real standout example is a '78 Topps Lou Brock card purchased on EBay for $1. Graded PSA 10 on the first try, I consigned it with PWCC, and I think the hammer price was $150. Even after the grading fee and PWCC's fee..... pretty good.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    $5 turned into $5000

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Have 2.
    #1 I bought a 1974 Garvey at a mall show for a buck. Graded it and it got a 9. Pop 6 at the time. Sold on eBay for $166.

#2. I bought and traded for a 1962 Mantle. Paid $400 and a game used Albert Belle batting helmet. The Mantle graded an 8 and still resides in my collection!

Great thread.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cousin bought this Yount for $10 at Renata Galasso in Brooklyn in 1986 or thereabouts. He dug it out of his shoebox in Staten Island and had me grade it for him...

I have high hopes for these two guys...

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    picked up a bunch i guess......they all seemed like the best when i found them.

this surfaced a little over 2 weeks ago, on my birthday, and it hadn't even been listed for a full hour when i discovered it. BIN-GO!

especially gratifying to find such a nice example of this card in the electronic blender. thought it would never happen.

eta: not graded yet, but will be soon....

• Options
    That is as nice a '78 Ryan as I have ever seen.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thx, Walter. I have often felt it's easier to obtain a toe-- with nail polish-- than to find a PSA 9 '78 Ryan.

I've seen two PSA 9s that look outstanding; the others have been technically accurate yet too OC or tilted to justify buying.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    FORGET ABOUT THE F**KING TOE!!!
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It always amazes me to see so many nice cards change hands that are raw.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Purchased in a pack in 1974, salted away in a shoebox forever, and finally had graded with a batch of other '74s a few years back:

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember after getting my drivers license back in 1983 or 84, and borrowing my parents car to go a card show the next town over. I found a 1967 Topps Red Sox Team Card, my birth year and my hometown team. It looked awesome, and back then I was not overly aware of condition, centering and corners, but it looked mint. It was priced at $35, a lot of money for a 16 or 17 year old, and I only had $30. I haggled with the dealer for a price drop, after explaining to me that the card was a Hi-Number Short Print and rare, he agreed to go to $30, and clean me out.

Flash forward to the early days of PSA and my introduction to "Grading" of cards. My first submission was the 67 Red Sox Team Card, and yes it was "Mint" PSA 9.

Whew, I am getting little teary eyed. LOL
  • Options
    That is as nice a '78 Ryan as I have ever seen.

I agree, I've never seen one that nice. If that's not a 9 I don't know what is. The '77 isn't too shabby either, looks like 10 potential.

Lee
  • Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Bought a 1972 Topps Basketball set,,Minty fresh…

Erving RC came back a PSA-9.

Now, what to do with the rest of the set??
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I have a few, but here's a pretty good one. Bought four of these for $3 a piece about a year ago. Sent the best one, got a 10 which was a pop 1 at the time. Sold it last December for $1000. Now it's a pop 4 going for $4-500. I was really tempted to keep it, but knew it was the right time to sell.

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought a raw 1964 Roger Maris from a card shop as I needed one more card to round out a sub. Paid $50 or $60 for it, it came back a psa 9 which I sold for around $525 net.
  • Options
    Here's one of the luckiest picks.

In 1992, I asked Greg Bussineau for a nice "type" card of a T206 and 33G.

He sent me 1 of each and a bill for 95 bucks with shipping.

Now for the good fortune - a few years later Davis got inducted into the HOF!

And here's the 61F I got from Rotman auctions for 30 bucks - the Ryno out of a vending box for 60 bucks from BBCEx.

edit: the scratches are on my 13 yr old scanner.
    Mike
  • Options
    I'm surprised I still remember how much I paid for some items vs some things I'm clueless.

I have saved the receipts for all the stuff I picked up - a packet full is buried somewhere - can't wait to find it - just a chance to go back. Lucky that on ebay - all the paypal buys are archived; a big plus.

The Zimmer - I remember since I had just got to San Antonio in 1997 and went to a shop near my house on NW Military Hwy - paid 16 bucks - he went right to the 'big' Beckett.

The Morgan - came in a lot of 60s from Greg Manning in the early 90s - came to 50 cents per card.

The next 2 were from Rotman Auctions in the early 90s - the Morgan was 10 bucks and the CJ was 60 bucks.

Mike
  • Options
    Picked up a Panini Mike Tyson raw rookie. Paid about $200 for it. Came back a 9. Picked up a raw Muhammad Ali 1967 Panini Sticker (Cassius Clay at the time). Paid like $75 for it. Came back a 9. Picked up a Holyfield Panini rookie sticker. Paid $10, if that. Came back a 10. How am I doing? lol
  • Options

<< <i>Picked up a Panini Mike Tyson raw rookie. Paid about $200 for it. Came back a 9. Picked up a raw Muhammad Ali 1967 Panini Sticker (Cassius Clay at the time). Paid like $75 for it. Came back a 9. Picked up a Holyfield Panini rookie sticker. Paid $10, if that. Came back a 10. How am I doing? lol >>

Super!

Got scans?
    Mike
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Picked up a raw E93 set a few years ago in a private deal. These were the three highlights

Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    72 Stargell IA. Pulled a 10; sold it for around $1600. Also bought a Palmer rookie that came back a 9. I sold it to buy a 59 Mantle in 8.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mullins5, All You have to do now is find them...

<< <i>When I was about 15 I picked up a 1984 OPC Steve Yzerman RC which I held onto and graded about 10 years later at PSA 9. Picked it up for $5 at the Gibralter Sports Card Show in Michigan. Had to sell it a few years ago, unfortunately.

BTW = the cert number on that card is: 30939111 and if you find it I will pay you twice the VCP average for it!

If you find Topps Wayne Gretzky 1979 rookie, cert number: 30939110 I will pay you VERY handsomely for it as it was a card my father purchased for me raw at the same show and I'm kicking myself now for selling it image

Fingers crossed they both haven't been cracked and resubbed! >>

I did a certification search and these cards still come up as this:

ITEM INFORMATION
    Cert Verification #: 30939110
    Year: 1979
    Brand: TOPPS
    Card Number: 18
    Player: WAYNE GRETZKY
    Variety:
    Grade: EXCELLENT-MINT 6
    Population: 738
    Population w/Qual: 21
    Sport: HOCKEY CARDS
    Population Higher: 3117

ITEM INFORMATION
    Cert Verification #: 30939111
    Year: 1984
    Brand: O-PEE-CHEE
    Card Number: 67
    Player: STEVE YZERMAN
    Variety:
    Grade: MINT 9
    Population: 401
    Population w/Qual: 365
    Sport: HOCKEY CARDS
    Population Higher: 35

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bobsbbcards - That's a monster card. I didn't even know a 9 existed.

As for my best raw purchases, most came from sets I bought. Here are a few off the top of my head:

1971 Claude Raymond - graded PSA 9 - Traded for $5k worth of cards
    1973 Topps set - pulled 9s on most of the key cards and commons
    1974 Topps set - PSA 8 of the small print Freisleben small letters and 9s on many keys
    1969 Satriano for $1 - Graded 8 and sold it for $225
    1969 Clemente for $100 - Graded PSA 9
    1964 Larussa RC for $5 - Graded PSA 9
    1972 Concepcion from a high grade set I bought. Graded 10, sold it for $1000 and used the cash to buy a 1975 mini wax box when they were cheap after the Conlon dump.
  • Options
    I don't. I gotta figure that scanning thing out!

<< <i>

<< <i>Picked up a Panini Mike Tyson raw rookie. Paid about $200 for it. Came back a 9. Picked up a raw Muhammad Ali 1967 Panini Sticker (Cassius Clay at the time). Paid like $75 for it. Came back a 9. Picked up a Holyfield Panini rookie sticker. Paid $10, if that. Came back a 10. How am I doing? lol >>

Super!

Got scans? >>

• Options
    1967 mantle psa 7
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Two years ago, I saw a raw 75 mini set on ebay that was being offered by a local coin shop and was terribly presented. It was very hard to see what you were bidding on, the cards shown were photos and not in any kind of order. That said, I saw a few cards that normally come factory short that were both full sized and very well centered and my gut was this was a find. I bid $1,300 and wound up winning it for roughly $600. In hand, it was like nothing I had ever seen. I wound up with a dozen or so 10s and another dozen or so very low pop 9s (plus well over 100 other 9s, including Brett, Rice, Carter, Hernandez). Graded and broken, the set realized well over $20k.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1965-66 Topps Hockey Bruins team for $10 - now a PSA 8.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I have self submitted all 22 Gem Mint wrestling cards from the 1973 annual set that I am putting together. I also just got back an Andre the Giant in PSA 9. I'm obviously pretty happy to have picked all those up raw and to get the grades that I have received.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    There are a few that I can remember, but the two that mostly stand out that I still have

1972 Julius Erving RC raw off ebay very low feedback seller around $100- submitted PSA 9, possibly the first 10 if it wasn't for the Notorious fisheye

1980 Bird/Magic incredible raw from local card shop $200 - submitted PSA 9 ( I still believe this is a 10, sold my other 9 that was inferior lol)
  • Options
    Won an auction within the past year for a Rickey Henderson Rookie. Seller's description and picture were both poor but I got it for $5 delivered. When I got it I thought it was worthy on an 8. Sent to PSA and came back a 9.
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    I'm a little late to the party.

A few months back I had a twenty dollar Ebay Coupon burning a hole in my pocket, and I saw this Largent raw on a .99 cent auction. I think my final bid price was like around $40 thinking it would cost $22.75 with shipping. well when the auction was over I won the card for $22.75. I only spent about $2.75 for the card total! I sent it off to PSA and and BAM!

I'ts only 1 1/2 touched corners form Gem Mint IMO.

In the same order I also hit the first 1987 Ace Fact Pack Largent in PSA 10.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    I bought a raw Horace Clark rookie for a good price - it graded a 9 - it's still a low pop 9 I believe
    I have a dead centered Rickey rookie I bought raw - it has a 9 shot if I ever send it in.