Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mantle Mailday. Part 2:) New Card 10/31

I have decided to put updated photos to my Mantle collection on the first post here so it is easier to see all the cards as I get them.

Mantle #1 in the collection!

I knew this was waiting for me at the office for the last couple days, but I have been working out of my other location. In all the years I collected, I have never owned a Mantle card. As a kid this was the card I always wanted. Loved the design and the history of being his Triple Crown MVP year. When I returned to collecting, I focused mainly on basketball before expanding slowly to football. I have very few baseball cards except for a small Will Clark PSA collection and my newest collecting interest is 500 HR Club RC's. Even though this isn't a RC, I couldn't be more excited to have this card in my collection. My first Mantle! Thanks to Brian (Camlov2) for selling a great card at a great price!

Mantle #2--This is about as high grade as my budge will allow on Mantle cards. I put in (I thought) a relatively low snipe and was pleasantly surprised to see this in my eBay cart.
Steve

Comments

• Awesome! The centering on that card is incredible! Not only is it a vintage mantle with near perfect centering, but it's from the greatest looking baseball set of all time. Tremendous card and it couldn't belong to a nicer guy. Congrats!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Great looking card Steve. LOVE the centering. Enjoy it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your first Mantle! You did great on picking that 5. It has great eye-appeal. I think the mid-grade Mantles are the way to go. Any other year Mantles you are looking to get? I just picked up this Mantle.

• NIIIIIIIIICE!!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pick up. Congrats.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Steve.

A well centered beauty!
    Mike
  • Awesome cards.
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Nice One Steve!!!

I saw that one too, but went after the 56 Mays instead.

Great Looking Card!!!

Congrats!
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan--There are a lot of super guys on these boards. Thanks for the kind words for me and my card.

Doug, ThoseBackPages, Piggs, Ashabby and Mike (Stone193)--Thanks for the nice messages. I am about as excited as I have been for a card in a long while. This card probably gave me the biggest hobby rush since landing my centered PSA 7 Wilt RC. This immediately goes up there as one of the top 10 favorite cards in my collection. I agree with the folks who have talked about the great centering on this example. I was not in the market for a Mantle at all, but when I saw the centering on this card and the overall eye appeal I knew I had to go for it.

JBrules--That is a terrific 1959 Mantle you've got. I have always loved the design of that set going back to when I was collecting as a teenager. Back then, I somehow ended up with an Al Dark 1959 Topps card and I always thought that the set had a great design. I definitely think your 5 is sharp. The great centering with the red background really make your card pop. The eye appeal of that card definitely goes above and beyond the grade. Like I said earlier, I had no intention of getting this Mantle, but now that I have I am actually contemplating making a run at more. Maybe I will try to do a complete original Topps run. I have started a 500 HR RC set, so the 1951 Bowman Mantle has been on my eBay watchlist for the last several months. But I haven't seen any with the centering I want that would fit in my budget. I have always liked the look of the 1960 Topps Mantle so I would like to add that at some point. Honestly, the next Mantle I buy will probably be the one that I can get the best value with, price-wise vs. eye appeal and grade. Do you have other Mantles already? What is your next add?

Jim--Thanks for leaving the Mantle for meimage I am a Giants fan so I saw your Mays too. Congratulations on that pick up. When is your next "grand" thread? Those threads inspired me to break out of my basketball shell and start adding some great football and baseball cards!

Steve
  • Congrats, Steve, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer 5 than that one. Definitely one of my favorite Mantle cards as I love the 56 design. image

But you have to scan these landscape cards horizontally so they can be fully appreciated! image

Snorto~

<< <i>Congrats, Steve, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer 5 than that one. Definitely one of my favorite Mantle cards as I love the 56 design. image

But you have to scan these landscape cards horizontally so they can be fully appreciated! image

Snorto~ >>

Snorto--You are correct!

Steve

• << <i>image >>

MUCH better, Steve, thanks and congrats again! image

Snorto~
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream cards pictured here. Sick centering!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, Steve. You are really branching out your collection.
  • CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    Great pickup! Someone should probably warn you that starting to collect Mantle's can be a very dangerous and addicting thing. I bought my first Mantle at a card show in Cooperstown in 1988. A 1966 beater that would probably grade a 1 nowadays. Purchased for $28, which was a year's worth of savings for me as a 9 year old. After purchasing that one, I was determined to buy one a year. Flash forward to summer 2014, and I still have the lone one. After seeing all the ridiculous Mantle's being posted on here this summer, I decided a 26 year hiatus was enough and picked up a nice mid-grade 1968. I am now hooked and constantly scanning ebay for Mantles. It's very addicting.
    Steve I have just started collecting Mantles. Just happened to do a newly listed PSA Mantle search on Ebay and came across the 59. I could not hit the BIN button quick enough (not messing with Best Offer). I usually do Ebay recently listed searches on Johnny Bench and Willie Mays but got a little bored and decided to look at some Mantles. I currently have two other graded Mantles (53 Bowman and 67 Topps). I am into basketball as well. Can you post your Wilt Chamberlain rookie? I will definitely get a Chamberlain rookie at some point. I have Alcindor and Maravich rookies. I do believe I am hooked on collecting Mantles for the time being.
    DM23HOF--Thanks for the shout out. Your threads of great cards beating higher grades inspired this pick up. The general philosophy of "buy the card and not the holder" that your collection seems to exemplify has hit home with me. I wish I would have figured this out earlier in building my 1961 Fleer BK registry set but. But it's never too late to learn and I have been slowly building my PSA graded collection of vintage cards with great eye appeal. This one definitely fits in that category.

John--Thanks. I think we have many parallels in our lives and in our collections. I like following your Reds thread and seeing updates to your collection. You are right, I am definitely opening up to a lot of different parts of the hobby. When I first returned to the hobby, I only collected basketball cards (and specifically two sets 1961 and 1986 Fleer). Then, I caught the unopened itch, which I am scratching to this day. Starting my unopened collection, opened me back up to baseball and football cards. While I still don't do a ton of football or baseball, I have started to collect HOF RC's of FB stars from the 80's (when I grew up). For baseball, I grew up going to card shows getting autographs of 500 HR club members (from the 60's and 70's). I couldn't afford their cards back then, but now that I can I have decided to start collecting the cards of the stars I grew up wishing I could have. As a kid, I was actually more interested in the stars from the 60's (like Mantle, Mays, Killebrew, Aaron, etc.) than in the current players (with the exception of my hometown Giants--Will Clark in particular). I remember watching ESPN reruns of the old HR Derby shows and dreaming of getting those cards.

Cooptown--You could not be more right. Now that I have this one, I am already looking for my next Mantle. This could become a problemimage

JBrules--Here is my Wilt. I saw it sitting on eBay for $2000 BIN/BO. I offered the seller $1500 and we agreed to do it in an off eBay deal.
    Steve
    Bump for JBrules and Jim to see the new Wilt scan.
    Steve
    Thanks for posting Steve. Very nice!! I will eventually add one to my collection.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    2 super cards.

Mantle is just awesome !!!
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    Since getting my first Mantle last month I have been hooked and looking for a second to add to my collection. I picked up this beauty yesterday at the officeimage Thanks for looking!
    Steve
    Very nice addition Steve! That one is a keeper for sure.
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Very nice selection, Steve!! You have a great eye.
  • dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Sharp looking cards. This movement of purchasing perfectly centered lower graded cards really works on the eyes and on the bank account. I am becoming a believer. Great pick ups.

-Dave

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    That....... is a bad ass Mantle.

A triple crown smile.

Congrats!
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    This one is mine. I think I may have found a new collecting focus. Low grade Mantles that don't look low grade.

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Dang Steve. At the office? Nice find!

Or when you say at the office do you mean the same place I find most my cards? LOL
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
    JBrules, John, CW--Thanks for your posts. I am very excited to get my Mantle collection off to a good start with these two cards.

Dave (dberk12)--Yes, after seeing posts of a lot of beautifully centered cards in lower grades over the past year, I decided to jump into the pool. It is definitely a good way to save money on some high eye appeal cards. As others have said, it can very rewarding waiting on just the right card. I probably never would have spent the money to get a 56 Mantle in a 7 or 8 but I could justify the amount on a 5 and I couldn't be happier. I still look for cards in 7 or 8 but I have definitely opened up to vintage cards in lower/mid grades as well.

Jim--Lol, card is off of eBay. I just get all my cards shipped to the office. Makes going to work much more enjoyable knowing what awaits me on some daysimage
    Steve
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    The Mantles look fantastic.
  • IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    That's some "POOR" '56 Mick you got there. The print registry is perfect. Mick's face just glows, and you can see good detail even in the action pose. This beauty could win an award for "buy the card, NOT the holder!" Maybe there's wretched back damage, or something I sure cannot see that deemed it to be poor, but who cares when the front looks this good. Congratulations. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)