Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1967 FS-103 DDO Kennedy Half Dollar... Exactly How Rare?

I've picked a handful of the FS-801 DDR's, but out of the thousands of Kennedy halves I've searched, I've never found either of the two DDO's until today.

I'm having trouble finding any sales of this variety, which I'm assuming is because so few examples are known and not many have traded hands. I'm hoping one of the Kennedy half experts here can give an apx. value of my coin, however any and all input is appreciated. image

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've picked a handful of the FS-801 DDR's, but out of the thousands of Kennedy halves I've searched, I've never found either of the two DDO's until today.

I'm having trouble finding any sales of this variety, which I'm assuming is because so few examples are known and not many have traded hands. I'm hoping one of the Kennedy half experts here can give an apx. value of my coin, however any and all input is appreciated. image

image >>

The PCGS Price guide shows a value of:

MS64 - $165
    MS63 - $80
    AU55 - $35

I have no idea how valid these prices are but they appear to be relatively acceptable given that only 4 have been graded.
    You coin appears to have some nasty scrapes down by the date so I guess I'd value it at about the $25 range on a good day. I do not really know.

What I do know is that finding raw 1967 Kennedy's that are not MS coins can be challenging and that I'm jealous of your find.

Congrats!

I forgot to add a comment about rarity. These appear to definitely be scarce but also lacking in popularity. I know that the Top Kennedy Collectors will hold out for higher than average condition coins before purchasing a coin that has some obvious flaws.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    This coin is in a Great Collections auction now, PCGS certified AU55. Already a bid of $150. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    sweet find and congrats

no kennedy expert or even novice
    no clue on how rare or value

still a sweet lil find and congrats
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess is at least $150image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Basically, the Kennedy Series is fairly thin. What sells today for a couple of hundred, won't even garner a $25 bid when higher grade examples show up since its really Registry Driven based upon FS Numbers.

What this means is that if there's no FS Number associated with the Variety, then ONLY the knowledgeable Kennedy Enthusiast will have any interest at all.

This is one of the primary reasons that folks are so "eager" to get their varieties into the CPG BUT, its a fairly short train in that the collector base simply is not as large as some would have you believe.

For example, I have an FS-504 that, at one time, was a Top Pop at AU55.
    This was fairly nice until an AU58 showed up.
    That AU58 was pretty nice until an MS63 showed up.

What's the "Fair Market Value" for my lowly AU55 now?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file