Does this PSA case have frosting?

Comments

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    no. but, now i'm craving a Pop-Tart. image
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no. but, now i'm craving a Pop-Tart. image >>

• JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 487 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no. but, now i'm craving a Pop-Tart. image >>

Why does it look like hell compared to other ones I have seen?
    you will occasionally notice that a PSA case has little bruises around the perimeter, typically from impact during postal handling.

give 'em kind of a milky appearance where the impact occurred.
    These two cases look crystal clear.

The other one looks cloudy all around.

Mattingly

Clemens
    if you have any doubts, always safer to move on. there are plenty of examples of the cards you want. eventually, there will be a special one which meets your requirements. nothing wrong with being selective. i've lived by that theory with fairly good results. image
  • It's not frosted and 100% legit.

<< <i>It's not frosted and 100% legit. >>

That makes it 2-0 not frosted.

I appreciate the advice. I am still learning about these PSA holders.

In the second picture which is of the lower right hand corner of the card on the bottom there is white spot about an inch. Is that not frosting?

I did do a Google search for "PSA holder" frosting and that is what frosting looks like in some of the pictures.

Does there have to be more frosting for there to be evidence of tampering?
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That card is absolutely fine. That is not a frosted case, in the sense where frosting means compromised. When looking for a "frosted" slab, one is looking for at least one complete edge of the slab to be white. The "pin" areas will also tend to be white when compromised.

Random patches of frosting are actually entirely common and I have cards handed directly to me at PSA, hot off the press, with patches of frosting. Again, the telltale sign one is looking for is an entire edge, as opposed to a small inch or so long patch on a side or two.

Hope these examples below assuage any hesitation or trepidation. I remember wondering about frosting and compromised cases myself a ways back; PSA reps were very helpful in discussing and educating. But the best defense is to always buy from a reputable seller who cares more about his name and long-term business than a one-off score.

Here is a Lou that came right from PSA; note the cloudiness or milkiness in both the lower right and top right corners of the slab. Absolutely fine. Picked it directly up from PSA this way. (It also happens to be the fullest bordered and best centered Gehrig around image )

Same with the lower right area of this Mick's slab...

Here on the Molitor, the top left area has some cloudiness-- again a fine card.

On this Rickey, there is a patch of frosting on both the top left edge and the lower right edge-- if an entire edge were like this, then it would be a problem.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

3-0 not frosted.

I feel comfortable with the case.

In my life have received a lot of bad advice from so called experts. Doctors, attorneys , tax accountants, and others. I rarely trust one person's opinion.

I now always do my own due diligence as well.
  • JWBlue--that white patch IS frosting. However, *limited* patches are totally normal. If the slab had been opened and resealed, it would be frosted throughout the entirety of a side and likely throughout the whole slab (must be opened enough to slide a card out and a new one in). You'd know it when you saw it.
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>JWBlue--that white patch IS frosting. However, *limited* patches are totally normal. If the slab had been opened and resealed, it would be frosted throughout the entirety of a side and likely throughout the whole slab (must be opened enough to slide a card out and a new one in). You'd know it when you saw it. >>

+1

• << <i>

<< <i>

I agree that it's not a sign of a questionable slab, but I have returned fresh subs to PSA with poor seals like this. Especially for a card nearing $1K, I would expect a good case. It's not like you sent it in on the $6.25 National special!

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    This is a very informative topic. Thanks for creating the thread J. W. Blue, and thanks for the tutorial DM23HOF.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • I used to be paranoid about this as well... albeit not as paranoid as you. image

Again, I would recommend you pick up a junk PSA card or two for a few bucks and try gently cracking them so you know what a tampered slab looks like. It's well worth the education and peace of mind.

By the way, I too agree, this one is fine.

Snorto~