Home Sports Talk
Options

A London NFL franchise?????

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Good for the sport or bad?

Maybe Scotland would be better as the team could wear skirts. Oh never mind......

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I like it. Scheduling will be tough but life's tough. I think it will happen by 2024.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    It does have potential as MLB, NHL and NBA have already had an international presence.

Distance should not be a big issue due to week between games.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I would rather keep the teams based in the United States. Who would want to play for an NFL team based in London? Trading a player there may be considered a punishment to some.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

<< <i>I would rather keep the teams based in the United States. Who would want to play for an NFL team based in London? Trading a player there may be considered a punishment to some. >>

I think it is a novelty. Im not sure that a sustained presence outside of the United States is really a viable long term option. The grueling travel, think SF to London for a Thursday game after a Sunday night game PST. Think about that for BOTH TEAMS! And I have to wonder if England/Europe is the place that would buy into football. Would there be enough carry over/cross over from Rugby to pique and then sustain interest in the game?
    I just dont see it. Maybe thats why im in my chair typing on a message board instead of making great decisions for the NFL like Goodell...oops, sorry, wrong comparison.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The commissioner is hell bent on cramming NFL football into the mindsets of Anglophone Europe the same way some in the media are doing their best to cram association football/ soccer down the throat of America. NFL Europe ultimately didn't work so there's that experiment they can look back on.

Actually I like the idea of playing one or two regular season games in Europe, Mexico or Asia. It gives an exclusively North American sport worldwide exposure. Regular season games give contests a more competitive feel than exhibition games. As for a team based in another continent, basically every player is against that idea so the player's union will do everything to not let that ever happen. It might happen in the distant future but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

Some pro leagues should expand to foreign countries. MLB should look into expanding into the Caribbean and Northern South America. Lots of fans and lots of talent in those regions. Puerto Rico should have an MLB team. Lots of fans and lots of enthusiasm for elite baseball there.

Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I would agree that it is a novelty and a bad idea. One team a week having to go through the travel headaches with getting equipment through Customs and hoping all of their players can even get a passport would be painful.

Maybe they should have their own league over there? Like an "NFL Europe" kind of thing. Oh wait...