Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Father/son day at a local baseball card show....

Last sunday my dad and I set up at a local card show....we've been doing a few shows over the past year and its been fun to meet some new people and share our collecting interest with others.

The show itself, was a bit disappointing from an attendance standpoint, but we still had a lot of fun hanging out together, and that is really why I set up with him in the first place. I sold a few 80's rack packs and my dad and I had some good conversation about the current vintage card/unopened market. He's not very internet savvy, so he is always curious what goes on at the boards, so I try to keep him updated on what goes on around here. I've got him pretty interested in unopened image

Here is a picture of me and my dad at the show.

We have a couple shows by the end of the year. We're setting up at a November show in Waterloo, IA and in addition will be in attendance at the Sun Times show in November (not setting up, but just taking a day trip together)....so that should be a lot of fun.

Thanks for letting me share!
Jeremy

Comments

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    It's cool you guys get to spend time together on something like this. Nice spread you have on the table there, too!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's cool you guys get to spend time together on something like this. Nice spread you have on the table there, too! >>

+1
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy,

Thanks for sharing. Even if the show wasn't a hit for attendance and sales it sounds like you got to have some nice quality time with your dad which would make the show pretty worthwhile on its own. That's one of the best parts about the hobby (time spent with fathers and sons). Looks like you have some pretty nice unopened stuff out there. Out of curiosity, do people who attend regular local shows know what the BBCE wrapping means on unopened? I know BBCE has a huge following on the boards here as well as with serious unopened collectors nationally, I just wonder if they are known by the general collecting public.
    Steve
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    What are most people looking for and buying at local cards shows? Lots of kids? Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Good chance I would have bought that beautiful 86 football box...what a great way to spend time with your dad...congrats!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jeremy,

Thanks for sharing. Even if the show wasn't a hit for attendance and sales it sounds like you got to have some nice quality time with your dad which would make the show pretty worthwhile on its own. That's one of the best parts about the hobby (time spent with fathers and sons). Looks like you have some pretty nice unopened stuff out there. Out of curiosity, do people who attend regular local shows know what the BBCE wrapping means on unopened? I know BBCE has a huge following on the boards here as well as with serious unopened collectors nationally, I just wonder if they are known by the general collecting public. >>

Steve,

I would say that the general collecting public doesn't know much about BBCE. There was one guy that came to our show in Dubuque in June and a Waterloo show in August that knew who they were and did not hesitate in buying a box or two from me. One guy from our June show bought an 84 topps baseball box, and when I told him it was BBCE sealed and from a sealed case, he didn't seem to care too much, or even say, "yeah, I know who they are". I think there is definitely more a sense of "trust" at a local show than maybe on EBAY. For example, I have some loose packs that I've sold (80 topps baseball) and the people didn't even "look them over" so to speak. When I purchased them I inspected them, and even opened one to verify sheet sequence before I put them out for sale, but people don't know that I did that. Maybe I just look trusting?? image

I think you have to be at least interested in vintage unopened to hear about BBCE. Even the local card shop owner in Dubuque has never heard of ghdm, and I dont think most of the dealers have either. However, those dealers are dealing mostly in modern (autographs, chase issues, etc.).

To be quite honest, I had never heard of BBCE until I joined these boards. I had seen their booth at the national back in 2011 maybe, and was like, wow, they have a lot of unopened and bought, I believe an 85 donruss wax box from them. It was here that I learned more about them.

I did meet a guy at our Dubuque show who collecting mostly 80's high grade stuff (purchased a PSA 9 henderson at our show), and he was over at our table looking things over. HE seemed to like the unopened wax, but didnt mention anything about BBCE or what the wrapping was. He even was a bit surprised about the pricing. He looked at my 86 topps football box priced at $740, and said, "wow, they really go for that much?" He took our business card, and seemed interesting in visiting with us again come our November show in Waterloo.

Still, you're right the day with my dad was worth it. He was loving it. Thankfully, I'm lucky that I have a dad who really cares what I think about collecting, and has taken an interest in the things that I like, and often asks my opinion before he would buy something (he collects mostly 7/8 mantle maris and other cards from the sixties and seventies) I know that we dont get an opportunity to set up at shows often (a national or sun times show would be out of the question, because they would kill our profit margins), however, at a local show, we have little to no overhead and I can be competitive with pricing and still make a profit. Still, at the end of the day, if I talk with a few collectors, share a few business cards, and maybe build a new friendship, that is worth more than have a couple hundred bucks in the till.

Jeremy
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What are most people looking for and buying at local cards shows? Lots of kids? Thanks for sharing! >>

Our show had low attendance (maybe 40). From my knowledge with talking to other dealers the major sales were autographed cards, and someone had sold a PSA9 henderson rookie. Not a lot of kids at the show, though. I did notice at our June show, a lot of dads and kids though. There were not a lot of other major sales. I had a couple guys interested in the unopened but that was about it.

Jeremy
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I purchased them I inspected them, and even opened one to verify sheet sequence before I put them out for sale, but people don't know that I did that. Maybe I just look trusting?? image >>

All accountants are trusting, aren't they?!? image

Great picture and glad you and your dad got to hang out. Thanks for sharing!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Hi, Jeremy

If all works as planned, I will be at the Waterloo "Blue Bats" show in November. I will certainly stop by and introduce myself. You are truly blessed to be able to do shows with your Dad and spend time with him.

Jim-59Horsehide