Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A few Romans

What I realize with ancients thus far is that the selection of designs is almost infinite. Unlike the very structured Taler set, this quest is very much driven by designs that impulsively appeal to me with far less definition. I even picked up a bronze piece (last) which I never have prior.

Roman Republic. M. Herennius. 108-107 BC. AR Denarius, 19mm, 4.02gr. Obv. PIE(TA)S, diademed head of Pietas right, B below chin. Rev. M • (HE)RENNI , Amphinomus carrying his father on his shoulders. An exceptional coin with dark patina and rich in detail. Crawford 308/1a; Herennia 1. A great mythic example of filial piety, Amphinomus and his brothers rescued their parents from an eruption of Mount Aetna in Sicily. NGC graded Ch AU* 5/5, 5/5.

Painting presenting the Legend of the Campanian brothers who wear their parents by lava flows of Aetna - Amphinomus and Anapius with their parents by Luca Signorelli

Roman Provincial. MESOPOTAMIA. Carrhae. Caracalla (198-217 AD). BI tetradrachm. 26mm, 16.13gr. Cos. IV (AD 215-217). Obv: Radiate head of Caracalla right. Rev: Eagle standing facing, looking right, holding wreath in beak; above left wing, crescent; between legs, star; in exergue, two pellets. Prieur 830. Large flan with lovely toning all around. NGC AU 5/5, 5/5.

Roman Empire. Julian II. 360-363 AD. BI Centenionalis. Sirmium. 21mm, 2.63 gr. Obv: Pearl-diademed, helmeted, cuirassed bust left. Rev: Votive crown. RIC 108. NGC Choice AU* 4/5, 5/5.

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice color for a 1650 year old copper!
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Wonderful quality with natural patina. My single aim is to encourage individuals to collect such great quality to preserve coins/history for future generations. I started just for fun a Face Book page for this aim PRESS this link to see

https://www.facebook.com/petitioncrowncoin

Jeff
    petitioncrown.com
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Three very nice coins here
    The portrait of Julian the Apostate is absurdly good
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning stuff, love the republic and tetradrachm. I have a similar type of tetradrachm I got but havent shared.

Surprised you got that bronze, in a slab no less. Very common type.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Z, very nice color on the nummis.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice romans all
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Surprised you got that bronze, in a slab no less. Very common type. >>

I saw it and ran a quick search as to rarity (not scarce) and condition (do not come as nice). I don't have a bronze piece and felt this would be a nice representative piece.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That denarius is stunning.
    Thanks for posting this interesting group.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup - this is really interesting trio here..the detail on the Carrhae Tet is uber cool
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love all of them. Well done.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely stuff all around. I know exactly what you mean about that mental adjustment one must make when encountering the bewildering, seemingly infinite variety of ancients after years or decades of collecting more "structured" sets. That retooling of thought took me a while. I kept wanting to reach for an equivalent to the Red Book or Krause catalogs. I suspect this may be one of the biggest reasons that "mainstream" collectors of more modern coins (with predictable combinations of dates, mintmarks, and designs) are frightened off.

It's liberating, though. A little impulsivity can be a healthy thing sometimes.

Your Julian II is very nice, but I am a little surprised that it was a relatively late bronze to be your first. Granted, most of us mortals started with (cheap) late Roman bronzes, but folks like yourself who start from a higher budget tier usually succumb to the big sestertii from the early Empire. But there's time yet for you to pick up a few of those. image

PS- how do you find so many "star" designated coins? I have never made one (not even my Perseus drachm you admired), and I don't see them very often (except maybe when you are posting newps). I have yet to own one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PS- how do you find so many "star" designated coins? >>

I make them at home image

Just very active in seeking them. I am actually more interested in the style of engraving which makes the coin come alive with these.