Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which '57 Topps Kaline Should I keep?

The "5" has a divot or print defect (can't tell which) but is otherwise NM-MT and the "6" is o/c a little. Your opinions as I'm torn.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 6 better, that divot is more distracting than the OC.
  • Options
    thats a LOT more than "a little" o/c
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Yes, the centering on the SGC is less of an issue to me than the whatever is going on down round Al's nether regions image
    Id keep the SGC
  • Options

<< <i>I like the 6 better, that divot is more distracting than the OC. >>

I agree, "distracting" is exactly the word I was gonna use. I don't find the centering to be too bad at all on the SGC, especially with corners and edges that nice!
  • Options
    What would the PSA Kaline grade without the divot/indention/whatever it is?
    And if that Kaline had a small wrinkle would it have still graded the 5 if the thingie isnt there?
    Thanks in advance as things like this help me get a better understanding of grading.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree, "distracting" is exactly the word I was gonna use. I don't find the centering to be too bad at all on the SGC, especially with corners and edges that nice! >>

Agreed.

It might be the scan but the 6 also looks to have better register. That's extremely important to me.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SGC 6
  • Options

<< <i>What would the PSA Kaline grade without the divot/indention/whatever it is?
    And if that Kaline had a small wrinkle would it have still graded the 5 if the thingie isnt there?
    Thanks in advance as things like this help me get a better understanding of grading. >>

I think 8-8.5 without the divot. Small wrinkle would also 5 it.
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree, "distracting" is exactly the word I was gonna use. I don't find the centering to be too bad at all on the SGC, especially with corners and edges that nice! >>

Agreed.

It might be the scan but the 6 also looks to have better register. That's extremely important to me. >>

What does register mean?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Register = focus or sharpness
  • Options

ditto and im a centering guy myself
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Keep the SGC!! Photo has more sharpness to it.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I would keep the PSA EX 5. The centering is much better.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    If your torn over picking one over the other, that tells me you're trying to pick the lesser of two evils relative to your tastes. If it were me, I would sell both and find one I like.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    The one WITHOUT the eye sore !
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    I would go with the 6
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    id like to add, if you first noticed the "divot", you are not a "centering" guy.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    What about the two brown dots on the SGC 80 EX/NM 6 card? That would bother me as well.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

<< <i>What about the two brown dots on the SGC 80 EX/NM 6 card? That would bother me as well. >>

+1, though they didn't jump out at me like the divot. I think Indy78's suggestion may be the best, sell both and find one better.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If your torn over picking one over the other, that tells me you're trying to pick the lesser of two evils relative to your tastes. If it were me, I would sell both and find one I like. >>

+1
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, the centering on the SGC is less of an issue to me than the whatever is going on down round Al's nether regions image
    Id keep the SGC >>

I second this
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What about the two brown dots on the SGC 80 EX/NM 6 card? That would bother me as well. >>

Brown spots, a divot...apparently, the third base side grass at Yankee Stadium really had a grudge against Al.
  • Options

<< <i>If your torn over picking one over the other, that tells me you're trying to pick the lesser of two evils relative to your tastes. If it were me, I would sell both and find one I like. >>

agreed

Keep searching.
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    is the PSA available?
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone, always good to get other's opinions...