Home Sports Talk
Options

Sport commentators discussing touchy subjects.....

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
......is a no win.

No one ever got fired or suspended for debating Jordan vs Wilt or Jeter vs Gehrig.

One can feel the microphone tense up though when a subject such as the Redskins, Ray Rice or the Clippers arises. On air talent must measure not only each word, but each syllable as well.

Perceived oppressed groups demand open discussion and narrative, but one slip and the sword of Damocles drops with a cruel and determined thud.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>......is a no win.

No one ever got fired or suspended for debating Jordan vs Wilt or Jeter vs Gehrig.

One can feel the microphone tense up though when a subject such as the Redskins, Ray Rice or the Clippers arises. On air talent must measure not only each word, but each syllable as well.

Perceived oppressed groups demand open discussion and narrative, but one slip and the sword of Damocles drops with a cruel and determined thud. >>

You talking about Simmons?
    But if the sportswriters dont talk about it, then who will? I much prefer my sports perspective coming from Simmons, or Saunders, or Kornheiser etc than I do Diane Sawyer, Morley Safer, or Peter Jennings.

Or have I missed the point?
    lol
    Arex
  • Options
    Agree, Arex. Let them say their piece.
  • Options
    It probably didnt do Simmons any good that he taunted ESPN.
    Yelling "NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH" at you boss while giving him the New Jersey Salute tends to get your boss' dander up.
  • Options
    I am thinking more of the Stephen A. Smith suspension. Not suggesting that I agree with his words, but give the talking heads a bit of slack.

Every phrase cannot align 100% with the politically correct playbook.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am thinking more of the Stephen A. Smith suspension. Not suggesting that I agree with his words, but give the talking heads a bit of slack.

Every phrase cannot align I00% with the politically correct playbook. >>

Most of their money comes from broadcasting sports and sports news. Why put that at risk so filler guys can give opinions? What is the financial upside for the station? I think the free market should work itself out here.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am thinking more of the Stephen A. Smith suspension. Not suggesting that I agree with his words, but give the talking heads a bit of slack.

Every phrase cannot align I00% with the politically correct playbook. >>

Most of their money comes from broadcasting sports and sports news. Why put that at risk so filler guys can give opinions? What is the financial upside for the station? I think the free market should work itself out here. >>

To an extent I agree but ESPN is a sports network that has shows that are, for all intents and purposes, much like Face the Nation or Meet the Press. They are sports journalist shows and are on air to voice opinions about the topic of the day in sports.
    And maybe I just took what Stephen A. said differently than others. I thought he was advocating to be cognizant of your environment and to attempt to place yourself in the best position you can. I never thought he was proffering that it is the womans fault or she asks for it or whatever else.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a good Stephen A. rant as much as the next guy but his mouth is his own worst enemy at times...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Why does anyone even listen to what Stephen A Smith has to say?

Those guys are paid to generate excitement and viewership, to get the knuckle draggers to watch...it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

He is a fool.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does anyone even listen to what Stephen A Smith has to say?

Those guys are paid to generate excitement and viewership, to get the knuckle draggers to watch...it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

He is a fool. >>

Exactly. Sheer hyperbole long on preconceived notion and short on substance.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why does anyone even listen to what Stephen A Smith has to say?

He is a fool. >>

Exactly. Sheer hyperbole long on preconceived notion and short on substance. >>

Agreed. However, I also agreed with his point on the Ray Rice issue, and like the OP I thought it was silly to suspend him.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keith Oberman or Steven A smith ? its a tough call which is a bigger idiot. I've often wondered if they are stating an opinion in such a way as to guide people to believe the exact opposite.

• Options

<< <i>Keith Oberman or Steven A smith ? its a tough call which is a bigger idiot. I've often wondered if they are stating an opinion in such a way as to guide people to believe the exact opposite. >>

Probably a tie!
  • Options
    I've always enjoyed listening to Stephen A. I think many of the points he makes and views he has are cogent and add value to the discussion he is having.
    The smartest dude on TV/radio right now is Bomani Jones.