Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

70's topps baseball....

other than the 71's, what is the consensus on the hardest set to put together quality wise.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go with 73, the black bordered backs make them almost as difficult as the 71s.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    1979 is tough, with centering issues and print dots being abundant.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about all the spider veins in '77's?
    Daniel
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Always thought the '75s were tough.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    75 mini and 79 would be my votes.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    ok, let me mix it up just a tad. coupling hardness in psa 8+ and popularity, which set would you go with...(other than the 71s).

same guy that sold me a few nice cards (mantles/ryans) last week has come across binder upon binder full of just insanely nice cards (mostly commons and semi-stars)...all from the 70s and just in insane pack fresh condition.

he doesn't want to let them all go at once, but he's gonna let me pick a year or 2. thinking most of them would grade 8, minimum....

so, we are heading right back up his way for the Clemson game and I need to pick a year or 2 out....

71's are gonna get bought. period.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

1974 OPC

• Options
    I hate the look of the 75 set, but you'd probably need to go with that one. Colored borders make them condition sensitive and they're very popular meaning you'd have no trouble reselling them.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what you are picky about.

In terms of physical condition, the cards from the 70s that most show signs of wear, corner issues and handling (besides 1971 black borders) are 1970 gray borders and 1975 colored borders (regular and mini). If centering is your hot button then 1979, 1975 and 1973 are the toughest. 1977 also has some issues with physical condition and registration because they used an inferior paper stock in that year.

Dave
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I'm not a real big fan of the 75 series...I know their tough, just not my year...
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I would go 70 and 72 .. My heart would grab 76 and 77 but those are worthless in 8's but the first two sets I collected.....
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

The rest, eehh.
  • Options

<< <i>don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I'm not a real big fan of the 75 series...I know their tough, just not my year... >>

75 is hideous. I collect everything Yaz and I still don't have his 75 mini because I don't want to have to look at it.
  • Options
    I know the 75's are highly touted as condition sensitive, but over the years I have always found them to be plentiful
    in high grade NM-MT/Mint condition. I would agree that the 1973 card stock and the black backs make them more difficult
    in higher grades.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    75 minis are MUCH worse centering wise than regular 75s.

Topps used inferior softer card stock in both 77 and 79 which made those years especially tough, too.

None of the Topps issues though are even remotely close to any OPC issues in terms of difficulty. Centering was absolutely horrid for most 1970s OPC baseball issues./ You could go through 10 packs of 1975 OPC without pulling one card centered better than 70/30. Same for 1974 OPC.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.