Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WhiteTornado's pickups worth posting...updated 4/29/15

WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    Wow that's a great looking patch! Until the other day I'd kind of forgotten how awesome he was. 31 TDs!! Enjoy this card Phil!
  • Options
    Nice card. What is the focus of your collection?
  • Options
    Nice card looks like you have a piece of his number there. The card itself looks to be in great shape nice scan!

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2020 12:07PM
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm ready for some football image Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Great looking card Phil. I have done a bunch of trades with Phil and now I know even more of what he likes. Be ready for some more stuff.
  • Options

<< <i>Great looking card Phil. I have done a bunch of trades with Phil and now I know even more of what he likes. Be ready for some more stuff. >>

Music to my ears image
  • Options
    Great stuff! You and I communicate almost every day about our collections, but I didn't know about the Selmon auto. If he's a player you like, drop me a pm and I'll have some older cards of him available in our next trade image
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2020 12:08PM
  • Options
    I finally landed my white whale. Just got this on eBay and it's the seller's pic. I'll post scans once it's in hand. I wonder if the small section I highlighted has a surface wrinkle, which would help explain the EX-MT grade. Hard to tell from the seller's pic, but otherwise the centering is pretty good and corners and edges seem decent. Didn't think I'd be getting a Sweetness rookie this soon, but the stars (and funds!) were aligned.

• Options
    Phil, I'm so happy for you! I know how badly you wanted this card and this copy is a beauty! I think you're selling it short; the corners, edges and centering are a lot better than "decent." I bet you're glad you didn't settle for the PSA 5 at roughly the same price. Can't wait to see the better photos once you have it in hand!
  • Options
    Phil, that card looks great. Good example of buy the card not the holder! Post a scan when in hand I'd like to see it.

Tim
  • Options
    arexarex Posts: 999
    Congrats on a very nice Payton!
  • Options
    Awesome card and great eye, still need one of those myself!
  • Options
    Payton RC came in. Looks GREAT in hand. I looked with my 7x loupe to find out what the flaws are. That part I had highlighted in the seller's pic was NOT on the card, it's just a small scuff on the holder. From what I can tell, there are two teensy corner dings on upper right and upper left, and perhaps a barely-noticeable surface indentation (like a tiny crater) just to the right of Walter's jaw, in the blue of the jersey. Centering on the back is not good, but all things considered, I'm very happy with this card image.

imageimage

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Phil,

Real nice looking Payton Rookie! Presents VERY well for the grade. Great pick-up. Congrats and enjoy.

PS You are not going to be looking at the back of the card anyway!!!!!

PPS Good thing Mrs. Manning didn't marry one of Walter's relatives.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic looking card.
  • Options
    Awesome card Phil, and great news that there wasn't a surface wrinkle. Enjoy this card, I know how much it means to you, and it will make a great cornerstone for your (or any) collection. Congrats!
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Doug, yeah, can you imagine what a super freak player a Manning-Payton player would be? image
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    No football card collection is complete without a Sweetness rookie card. It's an absolutely iconic card of an absolutely iconic player... but I may be biased. image

Congrats on the addition, Phil... what's on the top of your want list next? image

Snorto~
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Sweet card! Great score!

Congrats!
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Every collection needs a Payton rookie!
  • Options

<< <i>what's on the top of your want list next? >>

For Payton, I hope to get graded examples of his regular issues, from 1977 and up. I hope to get 1977 through 1980 in PSA 8 (I already have the 1979 in PSA 8), and from 1981 and beyond in PSA 9. Don't see myself paying the crazy money for 10s.

For LaDainian Tomlinson, I've just begun focusing on his cards. I did pick up a 100-card lot with mostly base cards. I have a few inserts but don't have any of his RCs. That will probably be where I start. May try to get some raw examples since his are modern compared to Payton, and the raw ones are more budget-friendly for me for now.

(Edited to correct my year range for PSA 8s and 9s).
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Congrats on the Payton RC pickup. I added one recently as well. I do have an extra 1981 Payton in PSA 8 if you want it. $13 dlvd via paypal gift.
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats on the Payton RC pickup. I added one recently as well. I do have an extra 1981 Payton in PSA 8 if you want it. $13 dlvd via paypal gift. >>

PM sent, thanks.
  • Options
    Great looking card Phil. I have some Tomlinson's I am bagging up for you.
  • Options
    Got a little crazy last weekend and did a last-minute, manual snipe for this one. Centering is not too bad. I guess if it was better it might be 9 material; corners look good under magnification.

imageimage
  • Options
    Great card! I really like the photo.
  • Options
    1 1 23776670 GOOD 2 1968 Topps 363 Rod Carew All Star Card
    2 1 23776671 VERY GOOD 3 1970 Topps 290 Rod Carew Card
    3 1 23776672 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1973 Topps 220 Nolan Ryan Card
    4 1 23776673 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1976 Topps 400 Rod Carew Card
    5 1 23776674 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1980 Topps 700 Rod Carew Card
    6 1 23776675 MINT 9 1983 Topps Stickers Insert 24 Walter Payton Card

First-time poppage for me. Normally I would have posted scans ahead of time and asked for opinions first. But, with the exception of the Walter Payton sticker, all are cards I've had since I was a kid. Slabbing them was mainly done for preservation purposes, as I intend to keep them until my kids get them someday. They came out a bit lower than expected. I'll try to post scans in a separate thread when the cards arrive. Thanks for looking at the ugliness LOL. Still happy about the Payton sticker, though.
  • Options
    That is a good job on the sticker 1983 is a tough year for high grades. A scan of the Payton would be sweet,

Tim
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> A scan of the Payton would be sweet, >>

I see what you did there lol
  • Options
    That Sweetness sticker is an awesome hit! Can't judge your eye based on the other grades without knowing what you expected. I know you weren't expecting 9's and 10's on the baseball cards, but what were you expecting? I had a head scratcher in my own most recent sub, a Nolan Ryan I was expecting a 7 and hoping for an 8 on came back a 4. Turned out there was a surface wrinkle I had completely missed. Don't sweat it, we all miss on some, and as you said, you mainly slabbed those for nostalgia.
  • Options
    After thinking about what I sent in, I believed the 1970 Carew to be a 4 and the 1980 Carew to be a 7. I can see where the other grades were probably what should have been expected.

I examined the 1983 Payton sticker pretty closely before including it. I figured if it didn't have a reasonable chance at a 9, I wasn't going to include it. Glad I did!
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I haven't been too active on the forums lately. As you might say, "life got in the way". I did want to share a couple of my most recent pickups. Some of you may have seen the 1983 sticker before; I posted it among a group of cards I subbed. Anyway, the 1983 was obtained raw from DanBessette, while the 1982 I purchased as-is from MikeLeamer. Thanks to both of those gentleman image.

imageimage
  • Options
    Those stickers look great! The 82 sticker is a cool design along the lines of the red border from 81, better than the standard white. The 83 is one of my favorite sticker sets from the 80's those are so tough to pull in hi grade. I'd like to put a set together some day in high grade. image

Tim
  • Options
    Who doesn't like stickers! Nice cards.
  • Options
    Phil, I'm glad that sticker turned out to be such a hit for you! You're a great guy. And I'm glad to see you delving deeper into player collecting. I hope you find it as fulfilling as I have.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Phil.
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. Those 1983 Topps Stickers seem especially tough. I pulled a Joe Thiesmann out of a wax pack not long ago and it had some major tilt going on.
  • Options
    Love both of those. Nice pick ups.
  • Options

<< <i>Love both of those. Nice pick ups. >>

+1
  • Options
    Received the following from lawnmowerman (Matt), and it was a freebie to boot! Much appreciated, love the fact it's a purple jersey swatch, too.

• Options
    That card is minty fresh with a cool design. A nice gesture, and couldn't be a better recipient image
  • Options

<< <i>Received the following from lawnmowerman (Matt), and it was a freebie to boot! Much appreciated, love the fact it's a purple jersey swatch, too. >>

It would be a lot cooler if it was an elite QB image Kudos to Matt and I'm sure you will enjoy!
  • Options

<< <i>It would be a lot cooler if it was an elite QB image Kudos to Matt and I'm sure you will enjoy! >>

I'll just pretend it's Playoff Joe, not Regular Season Joe imageimage
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Been quite a while since I posted any new items. We've been fixing up the man cave and it has taken up a lot of my free time lately. That project has also temporarily displaced my collection, which is becoming an unorganized mess. I did acquire a couple of football items recently (graded '87 Walter Payton (thanks Dan) and a game used LaDainian Tomlinson (thanks Troy)), but now I cannot find them. I'm sure they will turn up eventually.

Although I mainly collect football, I've branched out a little into baseball. Got these two Rod Carews recently. A bit of a story about the Kelloggs....

This is the card that got me liking Rod Carew. I would have been 6 when we found it in a box of cereal. I remember my sister getting a few since she usually opened a new box first. She gave them to me since she had no interest in them at all. In addition to the Carew, I remember a Tom Seaver and I think a Bobby Bonds. I'm not sure I even have them any more. Don't recall finding them among my cards in recent years. I do have another box or two of mostly non-sport keepsakes so I will have to look in there, too.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I liked the Carew so much. Maybe it was interesting because he was AL and I grew up in an NL market, St. Louis. Plus, you can see even by then he had compiled impressive stats. One of my childhood friends I made later around age 12 was a big Reggie Jackson fan. We'd eagerly watch him and Carew each year in the All Star Game. We were both thrilled when he and Carew landed on the Angels, along with a lot of other superstar vets. It was tough seeing them go down in the playoffs in '86 to the Red Sox.

One time many years ago, before computers made it easy, a group of baseball stat geeks and writers compiled a bunch of stats of all-time great players into a computer program. Then they ran a simulated All Star Game. They used the results and broadcast the "game" on the radio. I seem to recall Jack Buck was one of the announcers. My friend game me crap because in Carew's only simulated at-bat, he struck out on three pitches, I think to Walter Johnson. Meanwhile, Reggie Jackson hit an easy fly that the normally sure-handed Stan Musial dropped! The broadcast even describe Reggie standing on first base smiling about it.

Anyway, I was glad to add a GEM-MT copy of the Kelloggs to my collection. I also like the design of the Topps '74 cards and this one was very affordable in PSA 8. It jumps about 2 1/2 times the price in PSA 9.

• Options
    Nice work Phil. Always liked Carew too.
  • Options
    Cool Carews, good to see you adding to player collections.