Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My First Ancient...Athenian Owl

I was looking for a nice Ancient type coin and since I was fortunate enough to visit the Parthenon this past June, I thought an "owl" would be best. Since it's my first Ancient, I was surprised at how thick it and the NGC case was. Both the head and the owl have a nice high relief and the coin is darker and more toned than the Heritage pictures that I used. I was just admiring Zohar's new owl which is a SNG Copenhagen 31 while mine is a SNG C. 32. I think out of all the coins, the Ancients are the most beautiful.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is one BEAUTIFUL coin. I got one some years ago of high quality as well, but not the equal of this piece!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That's lovely way to start!
  • Options
    hell of a start, very beautiful piece, thanks for sharing
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fantastic start indeed! Congratulations!

I'm curious how the trip to the Parthenon went. Were you met with any problems due to the current political situation? I've wanted to go there for ages but haven't because of the tumultuous climate.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    perfect type coin IMHO! and excellent job going slabbed because I think these are readily counterfeited!
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Very nice example.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

<< <i>A fantastic start indeed! Congratulations!

I'm curious how the trip to the Parthenon went. Were you met with any problems due to the current political situation? I've wanted to go there for ages but haven't because of the tumultuous climate. >>

No problems at all. We were on a cruise and then took a tour sponsored by the cruise line (Royal Caribbean). A bus took us to the Acropolis area where we were met by a local tour guide. We visited the new museum across the street from the Acropolis which is a must see. The original caryatid columns are inside the museum. Truly beautiful. Then we hiked up the Acropolis with the tour group and had ample time to walk around the Parthenon. It was the highlight of the trip. We then had lunch and a couple of hours to walk around. It seemed very safe. The people were friendly and there were no problems encountered. If you can go, do so. You will love it.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A fantastic start indeed! Congratulations!

I'm curious how the trip to the Parthenon went. Were you met with any problems due to the current political situation? I've wanted to go there for ages but haven't because of the tumultuous climate. >>

You shouldn't believe everything that you see on TV. There is no tumultuous climate.

A few demonstrations against the very harsh policy by zee Germans, that now belong to the past.

It's amazing how easily the human race adapts to any situation, when there's no other alternative.

Very nice piece indeed, nice centering, excellent detail. Great start.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Great coin, very choice in every way.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beautiful Owl!
    Congrats on your first ancient purchase. image
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    What a start to begin buying ancient coins , excellent coin, congrats.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Can't go wrong with a classic owl tet as your first coin! Nice one image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely coin, I had about a 15 year search for the right example for my collection. The owl on the reverse is fantastic with great high relief.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Great..... !!! see https://www.facebook.com/petitioncrowncoin just fun to encourage new collectors. Jeff
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    Hi see you support the hobby for years - trying to encourage more new collectors, have a look at this and if you like please pas to other Great..... !!! see https://www.facebook.com/petitioncrowncoin just fun to encourage new collectors. Jeff
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    Great..... !!! see https://www.facebook.com/petitioncrowncoin just fun to encourage new collectors. Pass on if you consider it a good idea. Jeff
  • Options
    Great..... !!! see https://www.facebook.com/petitioncrowncoin just fun to encourage new collectors. Pass on if you consider it a good idea. Jeff
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez Louise, that's quite a first.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.