Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New WHITMAN ENCYCLOPEDIA of MEXICAN MONEY

Whitman Publishing Releases New Whitman Encyclopedia of Mexican Money

(Atlanta, Georgia) — Whitman Publishing announces the release of the first volume of
the Whitman Encyclopedia of Mexican Money, by Don and Lois Bailey. The 496-page
hardcover book will be available from booksellers and hobby shops nationwide, and online.
It can also be borrowed for free as a benefit of membership in the American Numismatic
Association, through the Dwight N. Manley Numismatic Library.

Volume 1, the first book in the four-volume Encyclopedia, is an introduction for
collectors and historians—an overview and history of Mexican coinage and currency,
richly illustrated with 1,182 images. It was written by award-winning scholars Don
and Lois Bailey with the cooperation of numerous collectors, coin dealers, museum
curators, government officials, bank officers, and other experts. It covers pre-Columbian
money to the colonial era, the independence movement, revolutions, modern coinage
reforms, commemorative programs, and silver, gold, and platinum bullion.

Volume 1 covers all regular coinage issues by type, with years, mintmarks, assayers,
and relevant comments; plus confirmed die varieties. It catalogs Mexican coinage with
the comprehensive new Bailey-Whitman (BW) numbering system, cross-referenced to
older systems. The Whitman Encyclopedia includes many coins unlisted in earlier
reference books.

A new, specially designed font system for Mexican mintmarks and design elements
improves on earlier, less accurate typographical treatments.

In addition to coins, volume 1 explores Mexican primitive money, patterns, tokens,
sets, orders and decorations, medals, paper money, and other specialized numismatic
topics.

Additional resources for collectors and researchers include charts of the precious-metal
content (and resulting bullion values) of Mexican coinage going back to the first milled
coinage of 1732; a glossary of terms relevant to Mexican and general numismatics; a
bibliography; and an index.

“Everyone interested in the history and coinage of Mexico will find this book enjoyable
and comprehensive,” said Dr. Manuel Galán Medina, retired Director General of Currency
Issues for the Banco de México.

Future volumes in the Whitman Encyclopedia of Mexican Money will focus on the
following topics in even greater detail, with more photographs, coin values, and information:
modern coinage of the reforms of 1905 and 1992 (volume 2); media of exchange from
pre-Columbus days through Republican decimal coinage (volume 3); and the coins and
tokens of the 1910–1920 Mexican Revolution (volume 4).

About the authors:

Born and reared in south-central Michigan, Don Bailey joined the Marine Corps during
the Korean War. When he retired from the Marines, he lived in Yuma, Arizona, where
he was introduced to the vastly interesting history of Mexico. He started collecting U.S.
coins in the early 1960s, but soon turned exclusively to Mexican numismatics, concentrating
at first on the coinage of Maximilian and the French Intervention. Since 1979 he has been
very active in the Mexican numismatic field as a full-time dealer, attending most of the
major coin shows in the United States and Mexico. His wife, Lois, has been his full-time
business and research partner.

In 1967, Don started the Maximilian Numismatic and Historical Society. He published his
first article, on the subject of Mexican numismatics, that same year. Since then he has
written on other subjects (including the story of the 1980s forger and murderer Mark
Hoffman), but Mexican history and numismatics have always been his focus. He has
written articles and columns for World Coin News, Coin World, and other publications,
and served as Coin World’s “Mexican Trends” analyst. He has also been a contributor
to major references on Mexican numismatics, including the Standard Catalog of Mexican
Coins
, Standard Catalog of World Coins, and Tokens of Latin America;
Frank W. Grove’s numerous volumes on medals, decorations, and tokens of Mexico; and
the Guide Book of Mexican Coins, by T.V. Buttrey and Clyde Hubbard, to name a few.

Don has been a member of, and an officer in, many numismatic organizations. He is a life
member of the American Numismatic Association and has been a member of the Sociedad
Numismatica de México for more than 40 years, serving for a number of those years as the
society’s official representative in the United States. He has worked with the Banco de México
and the Casa de Moneda de México to promote their products and numismatic materials, and
in 1974 he was appointed to the U.S. Assay Commission. Don has been the recipient of the
ANA’s Presidential Award, the Sociedad Numismatica’s José Tamborrel Jr. Award (twice), and
the Sociedad’s Alberto Francisco Pradeau Award. Numismatic News named him a Numismatic
Ambassador in 1980. On September 27, 2001, Don received the Orden Mexicana del Águila Azteca
(Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle), the highest honor bestowed on a foreigner by the government
of Mexico.

In June of 1997, Don, Joe Flores, and Sal Falcone organized the United States Mexican Numismatic
Association, and Don served for many years as its executive director and the editor of its quarterly
publication, the Mexican Numismatic Journal. The Sociedad Numismatica honored the
association with the Dr. Alberto Francisco Pradeau award for promoting Mexican numismatics.

According to Don, “These fifty years have been a ball. Fifty years of working, if one can use that
term, in a field that you really enjoy is all that you can ask. My wife, Lois, is a vital part of the
operation. Without her assistance and encouragement the goals we have achieved would have
been impossible to reach.”

Whitman Encyclopedia of Mexican Money, volume 1
By Don and Lois Bailey; foreword by Dr. Manuel Galán Medina, retired Director General of
Currency Issues for the Banco de México
ISBN 0794834074
Hardcover, 6 x 9 inches, 496 pages, full color

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Looks interesting, just ordered it image
  • $17.80 including shipping, handling and tax. 500 page hardbound book. You can't beat that.
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shows as $40 to me, what am I missing?
  • I received a confirmation order right after purchasing it. Got it through Walmart. $17.80 delivered.
    Thanks, I was only looking on the Whitman site. Found it on Amazon for $18.01 shipped.
  • Different prices all over the place. This is the first time I purchased through WallMart. Will have to try them again for all of the expensive Krause books.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Far Out, its about time

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Been 8 days and haven't received my order yet. Anyone else recive theres yet?
    Nope, although Amazon listed it as pre-order.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Takes a few days for the books to be inventoried at Whitman, then shipped
    to distributors and retailers, and then delivered to customers. Your orders
    should arrive soon!

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh Sa'weet! I am so getting this book!!!
    I checked with my order and they said the order has been shipped. Should arrive December 8. What??? I don't live on the moon. Where is it going to that it will take almost two months to get to me?
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    When are you going to do a Notgeld reference?image

<< <i>When are you going to do a Notgeld reference?image >>

That would be quite an undertaking, wouldn't it!

It would make a colorful and interesting book.

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a great book, Whitman has some really interesting projects underway right now!

In terms of reference material, there has never been axbetter time to collect coins.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Book arrived yesterday. About one ahead of when Walmart said I would receive it. Only one month off. Better early than late. Not complaining. Very nice book with a lot of interesting facts in it. I wonder when the other volumes will become available? I hope they notify anyone who has purchased the first volumn.
    Olmanjon
    Volume 2 will be out in June of 2015.

It goes in-depth on the coinage reform of 1905, the coinage reform of 1992,
    commemoratives of the 1905 and 1992 coinage reforms, Mint and Proof sets,
    silver bullion coinage, gold medallic coinage, Libertads (silver, gold, and platinum),
    and the Pre-Columbian Collections.

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    No doubt half will be 8 reales and another quarter Onza ... but seriously, this must have been an enormous undertaking. Another excellent job no doubt by my fellow ATLiens at Whitman! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE