Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading 1936 Detroit Times Sports Stamps

I'm looking for some advice on 1936 Detroit Times Sports Stamps. I wrote this message in an email to PSA but thought I'd post here in case anyone might have enough experience with these to answer with scans. I think I need to hear back from the PSA research department before I cut the ones I have prior to including them in a submission. When these are graded by PSA, do they more typically get cut out including the bio portion below the photo so that they're in a supersize holder, or most of the time do they cut out just the stamp and slab that part so they are in a small, standard holder? I'd like to maximize my potential for grading some from the set that I have, and therefore I would like to get confirmation from PSA as to whether you can get a numerical grade beyond just "Authentic" if you include the bio below the stamp. Also, if cutting just the stamp is recommended and throwing away the bio, then do I need to cut around all the curvy waves of the "stamp" border, or just square it off? There are uncut ungraded examples found on ebay or through google images for reference if necessary. Also for you to compare with the raw ones, there are photos uploaded of graded ones by some other customers in the PSA master set registries of Mickey Cochrane, Jack Dempsey, and Walter Hagen. The Cochrane and Dempsey are just the stamp and have numerical grades. The Hagen includes the bio and is Authentic. I'm not sure that means you can't get a numerical grade when including the bio though.

Additionally, can I get a numerical grade for a panel of 2 players side by side as originally issued by including the bios on bottom? I see the population report has a graded panel of Gehringer and Braddock that has a numerical grade instead of just Authentic. Obviously it would be impossible to cut the stamp edges following the curves if you were to sub a panel instead of singles. Are all sides supposed to be squared off on those? It would seem a bit odd to cut around the curves on the outsides while the part in between didn't have the detail cutting.

Anyone on the boards own any graded examples of these that are not just a carefully cut single stamp portion?

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, yes, I do realize this whole issue about cutting out something from a newspaper is a very touchy subject regarding slippery slopes and whatnot, most recently with discussions about the supposed validity of grading 1966 Sporting News Nolan Ryan clippings. I don't mean to get into the question of whether or not it is acceptable to grade the 1936 Detroit Times Sports Stamps. As it is, PSA does grade these, so I just want to know about how many methods of cutting them result in the potential for numerical grades.

• Options

Too obscure?

• Options

One more bump
  • Options

Here is a series of emails back and forth that yielded the answer. If you read it, you'll notice I tried to incorporate any variance of cutting into getting the best result, as there seem to be different graded options:

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on 1936 Detroit Times Sports Stamps, and I need to hear back from the research department before I cut the ones I have prior to including them in a submission. When these are graded by PSA, do they more typically get cut out including the bio portion below the photo so that they're in a supersize holder, or most of the time do they cut out just the stamp and slab that part so they are in a small, standard holder? I'd like to maximize my potential for grading some from the set that I have, and therefore I would like to get confirmation from PSA as to whether you can get a numerical grade beyond just "Authentic" if you include the bio below the stamp. Also, if cutting just the stamp is recommended and throwing away the bio, then do I need to cut around all the curvy waves of the "stamp" border, or just square it off? There are uncut ungraded examples found on ebay or through google images for reference if necessary. Also for you to compare with the raw ones, there are photos uploaded of graded ones by some other customers in the PSA master set registries of Mickey Cochrane, Jack Dempsey, and Walter Hagen. The Cochrane and Dempsey are just the stamp and have numerical grades. The Hagen includes the bio and is Authentic. I'm not sure that means you can't get a numerical grade when including the bio though.

Additionally, can I get a numerical grade for a panel of 2 players side by side as originally issued by including the bios on bottom? I see the population report has a graded panel of Gehringer and Braddock that has a numerical grade instead of just Authentic. Obviously it would be impossible to cut the stamp edges following the curves if you were to sub a panel instead of singles. Are all sides supposed to be squared off on those? It would seem a bit odd to cut around the curves on the outsides while the part in between didn't have the detail cutting.

Any and all help from the grading department would be appreciated, thank you.

Hello, I do apologize for the delay in regards to your email. For PSA, this time of the year is one of our most busiest. I'd like to continue assisting you with your inquires if they haven't been already resolved. I do understand that you want the best potiental grade for your 1936 Detroit Times Sports Stamps. On your behalf, I’d like to do some further research in the matter. With that said, I will need more information from you. Can you please provide me images of the front and back of the sports stamps? Thank you,

Thank you for the reply. Attached is a scan of a representative one, though I have more. The appearance is pretty much the same so I'm sure the one example will do for the sake of these questions. Please compare the scans of what I've attached here with graded examples. As detailed in my earlier message, there are graded ones of singles as well as panels, so please re-read that message when considering the attached.

Thank you very much,

Hello, I have received an update in regards to the stamps inquires. These stamps can receive numeric grade. The stamp can be cut outside the curvy waves, using a straight cut. When cutting, you need to make sure that the cut is straight and centered. This would result in a better chance of receiving a higher numeric grade. After the stamps are cut, these should resemble a regular card, with all sides squared off. It is possible to get a numerical grade on a panel of two, but PSA would recommend not include the bios on the bottom. I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you,

Thank you very much, I do appreciate the information. To clarify, in order to maximize potential grade PSA recommends not including the bio on bottom regardless of whether submitting as a single or a panel of two?

Hello, If you would like, you can include the bio information for both singles or panels. That would not be a problem in the PSA grading standards. However, in order to receive the highest grade possible, the cut on all edges must be straight. The stamps would need a great overall eye appeal. I hope this information helps clarifies a bit. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact customer service. Thank you,

• Options
    Thanks for updating us. I'm scared of hand cut issues precisely because of these sorts of issues, but this helps greatly. I have one already hand cut "stamp" I plan to sub for a player registry and an uncut sheet of a different issue I've been leaving intact. Anyway, thanks!
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Without the biography looks a lot better in my opinion.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

I prefer the look w/o bio, but wish the bio were on the back (not possible). I will be going with square-cut, no bio, no panels. This is for looks as well as max potential grade.

It was certainly nice to get some guidance from PSA before deciding on cut style though.

• Options

Also, square cut, no bio, means standard size holder instead of tallboy. Doesn't matter to me much personally but I know there are some out there who like only items in standard holders.