Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which Edition Overton Bust Half Dollar variety book should I buy?

I've been collecting Capped Bust Halves for quite a while now----have a complete date set. Now I'd like to expand, to collect by Overton Varieties. I'm a bit confused with all the editions/printings. Advice?? Thanks in advance.
I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some folks are stuck on the 3rd edition, claiming there are fewer errors. I'm not convinced. They all have errors. The good news is you can get all the errata here (click on References Dealers) for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th edition. Along with the emission order.

The latest edition (5th) has nicer paper. That's about it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Buy the 3rd edition. Maybe down the road you can buy a couple of earlier and later editions just for the sake of numismatic literary history. However, the die-hard bust half collectors swear by the 3rd edition. It is the only one I use.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ha I was just going to say ask lkeigwin (Lance)lol
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    If you find a 3rd Edition, grab it and run. Also, watch eBay like a hawk - they pop up there occassionally.

If all else fails, settle for 4th Edition. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you find a 3rd Edition, grab it and run. Also, watch eBay like a hawk - they pop up there occassionally.

If all else fails, settle for 4th Edition. image >>

Got my 3rd Ed. on AbeBooks within the past couple years. $50 in excellent condition with Mylar library cover as well. Keep an eye out there, too.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I find the pictures in the 3rd edition to be far better.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I find the pictures in the 3rd edition to be far better. >>

And the new 5th the pictures are pretty good
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    I have the 5th on the way from Sheridan Downey....

http://www.sheridanscoins.com/

My 4th is all worn out.

there have been a couple of pre-turb additions since the 3rd edition.....

My site has good attribution pics on it too...and info image
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have them all (yes, OCD), I prefer 3 but am trying to move to 5.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys....see, this is why I like this forum.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    While I disliked the 4th and 5th editions mostly for what Don didn't do, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th will all work well if you want to attribute your coins. They are all rife with errors but these tend to not be significant and the online errata are sufficient to cope with them. The 5th edition is most complete with all the new draped bust die marriages.

Best of luck in learning to attribute and please share your trials and tribulations in acquiring this skill!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Don't get all excited about the different editions. Just go out and buy a copy of the newest, the fifth edition. I got mine from Sheridan Downey, the best known Bust Half Dollar dealer in the world.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use 3rd edition have 2nd just for reading, more history in the book then i thought there would be.

My 3rd edition is getting pretty wore out though. Weak spiral binding on mine is starting to give. Might have the wife 3 hole punch and put in a binder.

Anyone else have problems with books wearing out?
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Anyone else have problems with books wearing out? >>

yes.

I got one for my library, and one to use

yes, OCD
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it really matters what Overton edition you have or use, every edition has within its pages the ability to pay for its self.

I would also recommend buying The Ultimate Guide to Attributing Bust Half Dollars by Glenn Peterson and Bust Half Fever by Edgar E. Souders.

I have to admit that when I started learning about Bust Halves, the Overton book was impossible for me to comprehend, a Bust Half Nut told me "Get the Peterson book." The book was very difficult to find at that time and I could not find one under $150, the same "Nut" sold me his copy for $50 which was falling apart from use. I took the pages of the book and inserted them into plastic sleeves, put them in order, and keep them in a 3 ring binder. I still use this book today, every time I use the book I remember the generous gift, smile and think of Pokemon...... image

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    i have two books for bust half dollars.

Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794 - 1836 - by Al C. Overton, 1967.
    Supplement to Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794 - 1836 Revised Edition - by BHNC, 1981.

The Ultimate Guide to Attributing Bust Half Dollars by Glenn Peterson

I haven't used either in ages but I do like having reference books around when I do need them.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the 3rd and 4th edition for my library. Use them more for questions on the forums than for coins I collect.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file