Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Pickups

I had an opportunity to upgrade my owl selecting from a handful of pieces. Unlike modern coinage, ancients are all about trade-offs - eye appeal, centering, strike, surface, style. I tried to balance all and am very pleased with this super-high-relief piece which doesn't show the magnitude in the image. The Thracian piece is Taler like, very large for an ancient at 37mm and displays the image of Dionysos. The Roman Republic piece is beautifully designed toned and comes from a very reputable "home". I "perfumed" my set display ATS - LINK

Attica. Athens. Ca. 454-404 BC. Silver AR Tetradrachm, 17.00 g., 26 mm. Obv. Helmeted head of Athena right. Rev. Owl standing to right, olive sprig and crescent behind, all within incuse square. Kroll 8; SNG Copenhagen 31; Dewing 1591-1598. A superbly centered specimen with unusually high relief. NGC graded as Ch AU *, 5/5, 5/5.

THRACE. Maronea. Circa 189/8-49/5 BC. AR Tetradrachm, 37 mm, 16.15gr. Obv. Wreathed head of young Dionysos right. Rev. Dionysos standing left, holding grapes and stalks; monograms to inner left and right. Schönert-Geiss 1222. NGC graded Ch. XF*, 5/5, 5/5.

ROMAN REPUBLIC. Mn Fonteius, ca. 85 BC. AR Denarius. 20mm, 3.96 gr. Obv. Head of Apollo right, thunderbolt below. Rev. Genius on goat, Dioscuri caps above, thyrsus in exergue, all within laurel wreath. Crawford 353/1a; Sydenham 724; Fonteia 9. Ex Archer M. Huntington, the distinguished pedigree noted on holder. HSA 1001.1.22487. Dark gray cabinet toning. NGC AU*, 5/5, 5/5.

Comments