Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 Topps Greatest Moments Wax Pack Wrapper

Just came across this lot in the current Clean Sweep auction~have never seen one before.

1971 Topps Greatest Moments Wrapper

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now THAT'S rare!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool one, ain't cheap! :-)

Reminds me of the time I saw a nice '53 Topps 5¢ wrapper on eBay and thought "gee, that'd be cool to go with the '53 set I'm working on."

LOL, I think it wound up close to $600 -- my $150 or so bid came up a bit shy! I had no idea the '53s were so tough. image
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    extremely rare--unheard of rare--

was always hoping to get a wax pack to go along with my #7(?--I think it's still #7)registry set

wax packs do not exist--never thought the wrapper did either. Lots of speculation on how they were actually distributed. The test wrappers are all pretty uniform--white wrapping--generic sticker. But what a nice piece!

having said that--too high for me to grab it. Good luck to the bidders--not a wrapper guy but this should approach $1K
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is strange that it was a test issue. The cards seem more abundant than would be the case for a test issue.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read the PSA article about this set, which refers to cards being found with wax stains. Doesn't seem like cards would have wax stains from a test wrapper like this, which is sealed with a sticker and not wax rollers.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The seal on that pack is the same as the 1974 usa test six million dollar man wax pack. I think it's cool to find Topps packs with those seals. You just don't see them too often.

What should that wrapper fetch ? Any ideas ? >>

At least 1K, imo..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    $1K seems like a fair price, considering that it might be another decade before you see another come up for sale.
  • Options
    HOLY POOP!!!

When Tim AND Manny say its rare, ITS RARE!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Has to be one of a kind item

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

<< <i>HOLY POOP!!!

When Tim AND Manny say its rare, ITS RARE! >>

+1, you took the words out of my mouth.
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Wow, it finished at $3,300.... $3,900 with the juice.
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    just saw the closing price--boy was I WAYYYYY off. Wonder who the lucky owner is
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I say at least 1K, I mean AT LEAST 1K, LOL!!

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

congrats Al!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>congrats Al! >>

+1 (I was too lazy to type "congrats Al!")
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Great pick up Al.

Anyone know how many cards came in a wax pack?

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    As far as I know no pack has shown up, and I had never seen a wrapper before this one. I have seen at least one box. Even though some folks say they have cards with gum stains, I had thought most of the cards were bought in lots from a storage of cards never sold in retail packs.

If the wrappers and packs exist they may come out of the woodwork now image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a cool piece! Congrats to the owner.

Instagram: mattyc_collection