Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

'84 or '86 Football Wax Boxes

BBCE has '84 and'86 football wax boxes for $750 ...........which year do you think will do better over the next few years?

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    i'd go 1984
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭
    I'm partial to 1984 as well.
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭
    As much as I love 86, I can't go against 84 being better.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
  • 1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    That question can be answered in many ways based on what you're looking to do with the box. If you recall over the last few years, 84 was always ahead of 86 and in fact at one point both were equivelant to 89 score. 89 score has stayed at 300 for the past couple years while 84 took off and 86 just recently caught up.

Now, if you are looking to open up, I would say the better box is the one that is in better shape and the packs are mint. Also, you want to look at recent PSA population report and VCP as opening up packs and getting potential big hits is important to the value. Both 84 and 86 have some great ones, but in my opinion, you have a better shot at cleaner cards in the 86 over 84 simply based on centering. Again, condition and VCP is key here.

If you are holding to sell the unopened box at a later date, and condition of the box was identical, I would choose 1984. The good part to your dilema is you can't go wrong with either selection. Both have tremendous appeal.

As a general rule, if you are keeping sealed, I would purchase ONLY the most prisitine looking boxes. Buying in person is the best way to do that.

Down the road I think other years will be pretty sweet, so an investment in what might not seem so great right now, is actually pretty great...and this my friends, is only after one cup of coffee.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be more high dollar cards in PSA 9 for 1986. 9's in 1984 don't seem to have much value.

I am curious as to why most everyone prefers '84? Of course an Elway rookie in a 10 is huge. Wasn't aware his cards were that valuable.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • You will not go wrong either way. As we all know, 80's football is dominated by 81, 84, 86.

I do agree with Belz if your intent is to open. 1986 will be your best bet. 1984 is simply BRUTAL
    on tilt, because of the card design. That in itself could be a thread.

But, if the intent is leaving sealed, I pick 1984. 84 is cram-packed with rookies and HOFers and
    the possibility of the ole "PSA10" is there with every pack
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
    60sfan,

What did you end up doing?

Belz
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought an 86 box at the national two years ago for $495 from BBCE. Its appreciated nicely up to around $750 currently. At this point, I would think that 84 and 86 would increase about the same rate in the future. How much? I don't know. I know Steve has had 86 boxes on his website since the National without them being sold out. So, in my opinion, it has reached its price point at $750. Do I see more price appreciation in the next year? No.

To rip, my preference would be 86. I guess for me that is strictly personal preference and I would thoroughly enjoy pulling a rice or young rookie (maybe because I've already pulled a marino rookie, recently). I think both would be fun.

I think either way, you can't go wrong and at the end of the day, buy the box that you like better from a personal preference.

Jeremy

<< <i>I bought an 86 box at the national two years ago for $495 from BBCE. Its appreciated nicely up to around $750 currently. At this point, I would think that 84 and 86 would increase about the same rate in the future. How much? I don't know. I know Steve has had 86 boxes on his website since the National without them being sold out. So, in my opinion, it has reached its price point at $750. Do I see more price appreciation in the next year? No.

To rip, my preference would be 86. I guess for me that is strictly personal preference and I would thoroughly enjoy pulling a rice or young rookie (maybe because I've already pulled a marino rookie, recently). I think both would be fun.

I think either way, you can't go wrong and at the end of the day, buy the box that you like better from a personal preference.

Jeremy >>

Good points Jeremy...As an owner and buyer of fb boxes, I personally love the stabilization. Gives more people a chance to buy and potentially rip. I also agree we wont see much if any appreciation in 2015...however, there will be another run when the supply dries up again at these prices..which isn't as far away as one might think. I'm a buyer at 750 for both of these years.
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I bought an 86 box at the national two years ago for $495 from BBCE. Its appreciated nicely up to around $750 currently. At this point, I would think that 84 and 86 would increase about the same rate in the future. How much? I don't know. I know Steve has had 86 boxes on his website since the National without them being sold out. So, in my opinion, it has reached its price point at $750. Do I see more price appreciation in the next year? No.

Jeremy >>

Good points Jeremy...As an owner and buyer of fb boxes, I personally love the stabilization. Gives more people a chance to buy and potentially rip. I also agree we wont see much if any appreciation in 2015...however, there will be another run when the supply dries up again at these prices..which isn't as far away as one might think. I'm a buyer at 750 for both of these years. >>

I'm glad things have stabilized a bit, too. It was getting insane for a while (especially with football from 81, 84, and 86). I'm also in the market for a CLEAN 84 box (non-xout) and I would have no trouble handing over $750. I think there are plenty of buyers out there that feel the same as we do.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jeremy >>

Good points Jeremy...As an owner and buyer of fb boxes, I personally love the stabilization. Gives more people a chance to buy and potentially rip. I also agree we wont see much if any appreciation in 2015...however, there will be another run when the supply dries up again at these prices..which isn't as far away as one might think. I'm a buyer at 750 for both of these years. >>

I'm glad things have stabilized a bit, too. It was getting insane for a while (especially with football from 81, 84, and 86). I'm also in the market for a CLEAN 84 box (non-xout) and I would have no trouble handing over $750. I think there are plenty of buyers out there that feel the same as we do. >>

Jeremy, Some of the boxes that have black x or markings are still incredible. I have both X out and non X out and some of the boxes I've ripped with the markings have elicited amazingly sharp cards. From a display standpoint, totally agree...from a contents standpoint, you can do just as well. After all, those boxes went back to Topps...just a little more traveling back in the day image.
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    also just throwing 78 out there into the discussion. 78 has always been the "ugly duckling" of the late 70 set, asthetically not the best looking, however

It's growing on me though, for only $200 more than 84 and 86s, you get a considerably less produced year with a chance of a Dorsett rookie, 2nd year Largent, and mutiple chances at Paytons, Bradshaw, Staubach, Dorsett, OJ etc

<< <i>also just throwing 78 out there into the discussion. 78 has always been the "ugly duckling" of the late 70 set, asthetically not the best looking, however

It's growing on me though, for only $200 more than 84 and 86s, you get a considerably less produced year with a chance of a Dorsett rookie, 2nd year Largent, and mutiple chances at Paytons, Bradshaw, Staubach, Dorsett, OJ etc >>

Total steal if you ask me. I also love 1985 at the price point.