Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

AAAAAAARRRRGGHHH

From an ebay listing. 100% Positive Feedback. (10,114).

“HAS SOME TARNISH AS IT IS STERLING --FOUND IN AN ESTATE JEWELRY BOX, i RAN A JEWELERS ROUGE CLOTH ACROSS IT SO THAT IT WOULD HELP TO SEE THE DETAILS IN THE PHOTOGRAPH .”
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    And now its all shiny and like new , thanks for the polishing and buffing, great service, great seller image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That stinks!

Reminds me of a jeweller friend I have in downtown Toronto. A few years ago, he telephoned me saying he just purchased a whole bunch of old Canadian silver coins and had just spent a few hours polishing them on his buffer's wheelimage
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a shame of course but it's a teachable moment.

Send a message and politely show them the error of their ways . Tell them how you found the listing (what you were searching for) and somewhere down the line if they get coins in on a regular basis they might turn up something you like and let you know about it. If they profit from your advice they will remember you image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Reminds me of a jeweller friend I have in downtown Toronto. A few years ago, he telephoned me saying he just purchased a whole bunch of old Canadian silver coins and had just spent a few hours polishing them on his buffer's wheel<<<

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes you want to cry image

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Saw a Dealer at the Long beach show once the 90's. He had a box of several hundred nice vf to AU Canadian large cents.

He was taking one out at a time and hard hand rubbing them with a cloth between his thumb and index finger to get the grime and age storage haze
    off of them . I picked up a few that he had worked on and they were all hairlined UGH!
    I told him he was hurting the coins and he basically said he did not care people would buy them anyway.

In the early 70's .I saw a local BM dealer with a jewel lustre dipping factory so to speak in in his back room.
    No toned coins in his shop. He said folks wanted bright coins.

Krueger
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Ouch! Just like a brand new used one. -Dan