Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cuba Counterstamp on 1957 US Cent

I have to say that this is the first one of these that I have seen. Any info would be appreciated.

[URL=http://s186.photobucket.com/user/cogp39/media/1957CubaCenta.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s186.photobucket.com/user/cogp39/media/1957CubaCentb.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, I like it! image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat piece. I did some headscratching and Googling, but came up empty.

I have no idea what the "IOC" would mean. As to Cuba, the revolution was going on in 1957, but... ?

Very interesting counterstamps.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    If anything, I would think that it meant 10 centavos.
  • Options

Ten centavos! Of course. That makes a lot more cents. Um, sense.

I'll bet that's it. I was interpreting that as the letters "IO" instead of "10".

That also would explain why the "C" is punched below the "10".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know nothing about this piece, but I doubt that any serious countermarking authority would use seven separate punch hits to validate a single piece.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>I know nothing about this piece, but I doubt that any serious countermarking authority would use seven separate punch hits to validate a single piece. >>

This thought occurred to me as well, after I realized it said "10 C" instead of the letters I, O, and C.

Not so much from the number of punches as from the overall "unofficial" appearance of the thing.

Still think it's pretty interesting.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yeah my first reaction was "could be fake" but then I asked myself, "why would anyone fake this?"

Strange indeed. Worth at least 2¢
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE