Home Sports Talk
Options

Did Jeter Cost the Yankees a Playoff Spot?

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
I do not think he did. His defense has always been among the worst in MLB, and this year his OPS is 150 out of 151. OTOH, what options did they have? They are currently six games out of the WC. That's a lot to makeup-sticking in a league average player for Jeter would not do it.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it was a team effort this year, for sure!
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    No. George Steinbrenner's death did. image
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

<< <i>No. George Steinbrenner's death did. image >>

I don't know. They paid up for Ellsbury and Tanaka. Steinbrenner would have resigned Cano though, he makes a difference.
  • Options

<< <i>Steinbrenner would have resigned Cano though, he makes a difference. >>

My point exactly Barn Dog. He would not have allowed A-Rod to be suspended for the entire season either. He would have also signed Tanaka. Ellsbury is overrated. He only stands out because the rest of the team is playing horribly this year. I was at a game last Wednesday night and I noticed that not one player on the team was batting .300 or better. What a disgrace.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

<< <i>

My point exactly Barn Dog. He would not have allowed A-Rod to be suspended for the entire season either. He would have also signed Tanaka. Ellsbury is overrated. He only stands out because the rest of the team is playing horribly this year. I was at a game last Wednesday night and I noticed that not one player on the team was batting .300 or better. What a disgrace. >>

Def been a tough year. Injuries have hurt, down seasons by some key people (and was I the only one to see Beltran breaking down when they signed him?)
    Def in the short rows of what is left of this most recent run that was started in 1995. Much like the team went through a transition in the mid-late 60's the same, relatively, thing is happening here.
  • Options

<< <i>

My point exactly Barn Dog. He would not have allowed A-Rod to be suspended for the entire season either. He would have also signed Tanaka. Ellsbury is overrated. He only stands out because the rest of the team is playing horribly this year. I was at a game last Wednesday night and I noticed that not one player on the team was batting .300 or better. What a disgrace. >>

I think Steinbrenner was the right man at the right time for the Yankees. Chances are he'd be ousted by baseball now for expressing his opinion or "bullying" or some other modern-age "it matters more what you think" reason.

Yankees signed Ellsbury because it is always good to take something from Boston, either directly (Ellsbury, Damon, for example) or indirectly (Teixiera).

I don't think the team makes the playoffs even with Cano this year. Too old, too injured all across the diamond.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did Jeter Cost the Yankees a Playoff Spot? >>

No, Derek Jeter did not cost the Yankees a playoff spot this year. That was an easy question.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can be sure Giradi faced the decision many times whether to sit Jeter or play him what with the pressure of the farewell tour/playoff chase aspect. But who would he of put in his place. And how would the fans choose:A playoff spot or seeing Jeter play in his final year? I wonder if Jeter ever asked to be taken out of the lineup this year for the benefit of the team?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>Can be sure Giradi faced the decision many times whether to sit Jeter or play him what with the pressure of the farewell tour/playoff chase aspect. But who would he of put in his place. And how would the fans choose:A playoff spot or seeing Jeter play in his final year? I wonder if Jeter ever asked to be taken out of the lineup this year for the benefit of the team? >>

As much as Jeter has struggled this year, and the last month has been really tough to watch, he was the best option they had at short. If he was the best option I cant see Jeter asking out of the lineup. Also, I cant see Jeter asking out of the lineup if he wasnt the best option. Remember where Alex Rodriguez went when he came to NY lol
  • Options
    I agree that Derek Jeter was the best option at shortstop this year. Very good point Arex.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree that Derek Jeter was the best option at shortstop this year. Very good point Arex. >>

Thanks, I make coherent statements from time to time lol
    I just shudder to think what the next 2-4 years are like.
    Weve got little in the farm system and little track record of developing the prospects we have. Add to that an older and aging lineup with burdensome (maybe even albatross level) contracts and I dont think we are in for a very good short term.

• Options
    I hope that you are wrong, but I am afraid that you may be right. The first order of business should be for Brian McCann and Mark Teixeira to learn how to hit to the left side of the field. If they are unable to, they should each give back half of their salary.
  • Options

<< <i>I hope that you are wrong, but I am afraid that you may be right. The first order of business should be for Brian McCann and Mark Teixeira to learn how to hit to the left side of the field. If they are unable to, they should each give back half of their salary. >>

On Tex: he is what we thought he would be when we signed him. Getting older and on the downhill of his career. The injuries have hurt something terrible as theve made him so much less valuable.
    On McCann...I never liked the signing. I always looked at him as a decent hitter but with injury issues. Hopefully this year is an aberration but I'm not confident we've gotten him for the downhill side of his career as well.
    The bullpen can be very good with Robertson and Betances at the back end we should be fine. Tanaka will be fine hopefully. Outside of that...well I'm thinking we get a 2010s version of the late 80s early 90s teams. Eek
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope that you are wrong, but I am afraid that you may be right. The first order of business should be for Brian McCann and Mark Teixeira to learn how to hit to the left side of the field. If they are unable to, they should each give back half of their salary. >>

Even if they wanted to give back half their salarys,the Players Union would never allow it. There might even be a clause in the contract preventing this. Would'nt want to start a trend where a player actually gave back for a sub-par season would we?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arex, why are you a Yankee fan? Ain't cha from the south?
  • Options

<< <i>Arex, why are you a Yankee fan? Ain't cha from the south? >>

Lol good question Paul and yes being from NC doesn't make much sense being a Ya is fan
    But...my dad was a Yankee fan and grew up with Berra Mantle Whitey and that era. So I can remeber him talking with me about the Yanks when I was a little boy and I was hooked. Also, like a lot of y'all here, I read about baseball all the time when I was a kid. About all the teams, players, stories etc and was always drawn to players like Ruth and Gehrig and DiMaggio. So that's why I'm a Yanks fan from the heart of Braves (and most likely cardinals as my daddy would tell me he would listen to Cards games on am radio) country.